1st Trimester
Options

Gag!! Greek yogurt.

My husband LOVES the stuff, but I just can't do it! There are a few other things that my taste buds are not happy about lately. I really wanted to switch to Greek yogurt because it is healthier than regular yogurt, but it tastes so bitter to me. I've even tried the ones with fruit added and I've thrown in some granola. Nothing helps. I'm relieved that greens, fruits and veggies are all still good though! Crazy how the tastebuds change!

Re: Gag!! Greek yogurt.

• Options
    My favorite is the Chobani Apple Cinnamon.  Did you try that one?  It's not bitter at all.....
  • Options
    That is the exact one that I tried and I could not stand it! I mixed it up really good too! It might be a texture thing because it is so much thinker than regular yogurt? I just couldn't do it....it had a strong, funny after taste. :-(
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I like the fage ones with the honey on the side.  It really sweetens it.  I add kashi cereal instead of granola and it's great... but I know what you're saying.  Try adding honey or some Truvia (or just regular sugar) sweetener.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    CellisCellis member
    I love Greek yogurt! I didn't at first, but I would put honey, berries, and bits of dark chocolate in it. I got use to the thickness and now I eat it plain. Honey will make it really sweet.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
  • Options
    Greek yogurt is a little too strong for me too but I've been putting about 1/3 of a serving size container in a smoothie. Can't even tell it's in there except that it makes the smoothie really thick.
    Missed m/c found @ 10 weeks - May 2010
    Missed m/c found @ 10.5 weeks - August 2012
  • Options

imagenallsl:
    That is the exact one that I tried and I could not stand it! I mixed it up really good too! It might be a texture thing because it is so much thinker than regular yogurt? I just couldn't do it....it had a strong, funny after taste. :-(

You're right, it is so much thicker... that's actually what i like about it.  Another one i'd recommend is the Fage Cherry.  It has the cherry filling in a separate little section, and it is so sweet that it tastes like cherry pie. 

• Options
    I've loved it and used it to replace about every creamy thing in recipes and stuff. I tried to eat some the other day and just about puked. I think it might have been b/c it wasn't fresh (it wasn't expired but it was like a week from going bad) and my tummy was already gurgling. I'm hoping to buy a different brand this week. I've always used yogurt in place of sour cream, and now I'm having a ridiculous sour cream craving and need to nip it in the butt with something healthier!!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

"Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?...But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." Matthew 6:26-27&33-34
  • Options

imageella.mabel:
    My favorite is the Chobani Apple Cinnamon.  Did you try that one?  It's not bitter at all.....

I LOVE Choabni Greek Yogurt! Unfortunately - Dairy has been one of my food aversions so hopefully I can start enjoying it again in 2nd Tri

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    kread8kread8 member

Before I was pregnant, I tried to switch to Greek yogurt and I had a hard time with it.  However, then I started bringing it to work and I would eat it around 10AM, so it would sit on my desk for about 2 hours before I ate it.  I found that by sitting out for a little while and thus being at a warmer temperature, I liked it a LOT better!  The consistancy wasn't as thick and it seemed much more like normal yogurt.  So now I have been eating a Greek yogurt every day around 10.  Over the weekend I tried to eat some straight out of the fridge and I found it to be disgusting and it made me gag...

M/C 7/8/12

Perfect baby boy born 7/8/13

BFP 8/20/14 EDD 4/27/15 It's a GIRL!!

• Options

imageella.mabel:

I LOVE Choabni Greek Yogurt! Unfortunately - Dairy has been one of my food aversions so hopefully I can start enjoying it again in 2nd Tri

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    Greek yogurt was one of my daily staple foods to get my protein in.  Unfortunately, it's been a gag reflex activator for me, too.  When I eat it, though, I buy the regular Chobani, measure out 6-8oz, and add one packet of Splenda, a splash of vanilla extract, and 14 almonds.  The almonds really help for me.  The biggest thing for me with greek yogurt was not bitterness, it was sourness. 
    Samuel Gregory-born 2/28/08 at 35w,5d due to severe pre-e and HELLP. 6lbs, 12 oz, 19 inches. Elijah Robert-born 11/23/09 at 38w,5d. 11 pounds, 10 ounces, 21.5 inches. Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers <a href="http://s740.photobucket.com/albums/xx46/carlyn_mcclelland/Facebook/Cover Photos/?action=view
  • Options
    It's not so much bitter to me but it's way more acidic than regular yogurt and I can't stomach it even before I was pregnant. It's that way with all brands I've tried, I just can't do it blech.

BabyFruit Ticker image
  • Options

Have you tried the pineapple?  That is the one that I find to be the most tasty, and quite sweet.  Making the change to Greek yogurt does take some getting used to, because it's not usually as sweet as the regular yogurt, and it's also quite a bit thicker.  Once I discovered the pineapple variety, that definitely helped with the transition and before long I was able to eat almost all of the varieties.

I'm not crazy about the ones with seeds- pomegranate, and passion fruit to be specific.  I also don't really like the cherry.

My favorites are pineapple, raspberry, strawberry/banana, and blood orange.  The others I like, but those are my favorites.

BFP 12/19/08- DS born 8/25/09 9lbs2oz via Zavanelli Maneuver
    BFP 8/26/11- Missed miscarriage discovered 10/19/11 at 11w2d, measured at 9 weeks gestation w/ no HB. D&C 10/21/11
    BFP 3/17/12 at 12dpo CP 3/21/12
    BFP 4/23/12 at 10dpo Stick my little one! Beta #1: 83.3 @ 13dpo Beta #2: 197.7 @ 15dpo
    Our little man is getting bigger every day!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    My BFP Chart
  • Options
    kac831kac831 member

Mmm I have the opposite problem- regular yogurt gags me! I love greek yogurt though, I like mango added to it. 

oh well you can't eat everything! You can get nutrients other ways

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I had this problem before I was pg and hated it (texture mostly - it seemed grainy to me) but in an effort to up my protein intake I decided to give it another go. I started with the Chobani Strawberry Bannana as well and LOVED it. You do have to stir stir stir like crazy. Also, the 0% fat ones seem to be a little "thinner" in texture to me. I love the Black Cherry, Strawberry and Peach flavors. However, I agree with you and our crazy tastebuds...wish veggies sounded even remotely decent to me!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Meli BMeli B member
    I know what you mean. I've also tried adding fruit and granola and I jut can't swallow it.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    I love Greek yogurt, but lately the texture has thrown me WAY off. I used to eat vanilla flavored with fruit and granola or the ones with fruit in them (Chobani Strawberry and Banana is my favorite).
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"