Baby Showers
Options

Diaper shower

Has anyone heard about this?  My SIL is having their 2nd girl and she doesn't need anything else, but she has a 16 month old and will have a newborn in January.  So I was thinking that since I didn't get to throw her one for her 1st daughter that a shower would be great.  I would just tell the guests to bring diapers of all sizes.  I have no idea about the wording for the invite...any ideas?

Re: Diaper shower

• Options

It is rude to have a party and then dictate what gift a guest brings.  It outside the bounds of etiquette to have a shower twice.  A shower celebrates a woman's transition into motherhood-and your SIL has already done that.

• Options

Obviously you mean well - you want to show your SIL that you care and that you're excited about the new baby.

Essentially, what you're asking is for a polite way to do a rude thing (have a shower for a second-time Mom, plus dictate gifts).  Obviously there isn't one. What you can do, entirely within the bounds of etiquette, is to host a no-gifts tea or luncheon in her honor.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    wow - apparently I am not on the popular side of this issue, but I say go for it.  A shower is not a celebration of a transition to motherhood, it's a celebration of a new life and a second child's life is no less exciting than the first.  It is very nice of you to want to do this for your sister and I would imagine that the people you would be inviting also love your sister and will not be offended at the idea of getting together to celebrate her joy.  While we're throwing in the 1950's rules for showers here, you could say it's rude for you to throw it since she's your sister.  But I really really do not agree with any of these "rules".  Throwing this shower for your sister does not make you rude, it makes you a very caring sister who is obviously excited to be an aunt again.  Go with your instinct and throw an awesome party.  Have fun!!
  • Options

it's a celebration of a new life

Diaper shower - eh, I could care less either way.  I know people do them.  If it's what the parents could use, whatever.  I don't care.

But showers are NOT a celebration of a new life. They are for the mom/parents.  Showers are about giving gifts.  The baby isn't born yet. If you want to "celebrate a new life", then you have a party AFTER the baby is born so that people can actually meet the BABY. 

Maybe it's semantics - but to say "every baby should be celebrated" as an excuse to ask people to BUY you stuff is a load of crap.  If you want to celebrate the BABY, then wait until the baby is actually HERE! 

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Options
    I've heard second showers referred to as Sprinkles. Perhaps you could work that into some sort of wording. If your friends and family don't care if she already had one shower there isn't any harm in having having a diaper one.
  • Options

I'm hosting a sprinkle for my good friend - her second baby.  The theme is 'bear necessities' and although she registered, the registry is only for the stroller, diapers, and burp clothes!   (There's a picture of the invite in my blog if you'd like to see the wording).

Celebrate!

Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • Options
    imageBrahimBride:

It is rude to have a party and then dictate what gift a guest brings.  It outside the bounds of etiquette to have a shower twice.  A shower celebrates a woman's transition into motherhood-and your SIL has already done that.

I disagree. a shower celebrates a new baby. old fashion rules are no longer applicable, especially since shower are for close friends and family. if anything, this is a much cheaper gift than you'd get for a 1st baby shower. sounds fun - go for it! i don't know about the invite wording though, sorry!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    i am actually having a diaper shower thrown for me. this is not in anyway rude. it is more than practical, and why would one baby get a shower, but not the next? the response that i have gotten from people about a diaper shower has been very positive. people don't have to worry about a registry, picking something out, or really expensive gifts. hey, i am all about proper etiquette, but seriously, we aren't in the 50s anymore. she could have 5 showers if she wanted!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I have heard of them "Diaper and Wipe" party. They are popular and I plan on having one for my second shower. Go for it!
  • Options
    trying to get to silver
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"