November 2011 Moms
Options

New Car Seat Recommendations?

OK so I know they are now saying that car seats should be rear facing until LO is 2 years old.... but I find this almost impossible. As of his 6 month appointment, LO was 19 lbs and 27"..... his current car seat goes til 30" but his feet already stick out the bottom. My question is (and sorry I know there is a car seat rec post already but this is more specific, and quite opposite of that OP's post) has anyone found a carseat (whether or not you purchased it) that could last that long in rear facing? Most of the rear facing ones I have seen only go til around 25 lbs and 30". I know LO's growth will slow down, but I want to get a seat that will seriously last if we're going to have him in it for a long time. TIA

Re: New Car Seat Recommendations?

• Options
    The recommendation for not turning your LO around until they are 2 comes from the AAP, not the car seat manufacturers, nor any governmental agencies. My brand new car seat still says to turn LO around at 1yr and 20 lbs. I didn't look into who did the testing to recommend that babies not be turned around until 2, but all I'm saying is that no other agencies are following the AAP's lead right now. That could be because there aren't enough studies on it. As of right now, I'm going to follow what my car seat manufacturer recommends because I know that they have done the testing on this car seat.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

My DS was 19lbs & 27" at 6 months too. We have the Britax Roundabout 50. The rear facing limit goes up to 35 lbs & 49 inches. The forward facing limit is 50 lbs & 49 inches. I don't think he outgrow the rear facing limits before close to 2 years old if he stays on his current growth curve.

Baby Boy #2 is on the way!

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    At our 6 month appt, DS was 18lbs and almost 27" but recently had a growth spurt. We purchased the Safety 1st Complete Air 65 carseat because their recommendation for rear facing is from 5 to 40 pounds and 19 to 40 inches and their forward facing recommendation is from 22 to 65 pounds and 34 to 52 inches. It's been a great carseat so far and I love that LO's legs don't stick out the end.
    Married 02.06.10
    DS1 born 11.19.11
    DS2 born 07.02.14

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I bought the Evenflo Symphony 65 e3.  It's rearfacing to 40lbs, 5pt harness forwardfacing to 65 lbs and high backed/belt positioning booster to 100 lbs.  I haven't really looked at height restrictions though.  I just really liked that it's rear facing to such a high weight, so we can pretty much keep her rearfacing as long as we choose.  And the only other seat we will have to buy is small booster when she's bigger. 
    BFP #1 August 2007, Lost Nov 2007, no heartbeat found at anatomy ultrasound at 19 wks
    BFP #2 March 2011, Baby Girl born November 2011!!!
  • Options

The rec is basically keep them rear facing as long as possible. My 2.5 year old is still rear facing. The height limits on rear facing convertibles have nothing to do with their legs. They can sit cross legged, scrunched, up in the air, whatever and it's safe (and comfortable for a super flexible toddler). You flip them when their head is within 1 inch of the top of the shell

Here's a pic of my rear facing toddler Image and video hosting by TinyPic

This is the Evenflo Triumph 65 and it rear faces to 40 lbs. 

Adding, rear facing is safest for everyone, including adults, our cars just aren't designed for rear facing adults.  

~Working Mom~Breastfeeding Mom~Cloth Diapering Mom~BLW Mom~

Blog - No Longer on the DL ~ The Man Cave
    Shawn and Larissa
    LO #1 - Took 2 years and 2 IVFs ~ DX - severe MFI mild PCOS homozygous MTHFR (a1298c)
    LO #2 - TTC 7 months, surprise spontaneous BFP!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I rear faced DD1 until 21 months.  She was about 25#, I don't remember height, but she just sat cross legged.  We would have rear faced longer, but when I moved the seat from the middle to the passanger side DH couldn't put the seat back far enough to fit his legs in the car. 
    photo a42489fa-98a3-436b-b31b-266d7d204e5d_zpsde5f201a.jpg
    my read shelf:
    Molly's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)Follow Me on Pinterest
    Anniversary
  • Options
    JKTTC1JKTTC1 member

Lo weighed 18.1 at his 6 month. Well I just had him weighed again and he is already 20.7 last week!

Just moved him into the britax boulevard 70cs we got. He is such a nosey, attentive baby and doesn't like riding in the car where he can't see the "action".

We've got friends that turned their boy around at one but because their seat want rear facing. I read it was 20 lbs before turning around. I know your supposed to keep them rear facing as long as you can but lo is a terror in the car!

I'd need be, can they forward face before a year if they are 20lbs+? 

#2-BO 6/6/13 D/C     #3 natural m/c 8/6/13 

#4 EDD 5/19/14 It's a boy! 

• Options
    imageJKTTC1:

Lo weighed 18.1 at his 6 month. Well I just had him weighed again and he is already 20.7 last week!

Just moved him into the britax boulevard 70cs we got. He is such a nosey, attentive baby and doesn't like riding in the car where he can't see the "action".

We've got friends that turned their boy around at one but because their seat want rear facing. I read it was 20 lbs before turning around. I know your supposed to keep them rear facing as long as you can but lo is a terror in the car!

Check your car seat manual. As far as I know, no you cannot flip them around before 1 year + 20 lbs.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageRedCamaro:
    imageJKTTC1:

Check your car seat manual. As far as I know, no you cannot flip them around before 1 year + 20 lbs.

I believe it is the law in most, if not all states that they have to be 1 year and 20lbs.

photo a42489fa-98a3-436b-b31b-266d7d204e5d_zpsde5f201a.jpg
    my read shelf:
    Molly's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)Follow Me on Pinterest
    Anniversary
  • Options
    imageJKTTC1:

In most (if not all) states the law is that they must be 1 year AND 20 lbs.

If LO is a terror rear facing they will also be a terror forward facing.  I'd leave him rear facing and keep him safe

~Working Mom~Breastfeeding Mom~Cloth Diapering Mom~BLW Mom~

Blog - No Longer on the DL ~ The Man Cave
    Shawn and Larissa
    LO #1 - Took 2 years and 2 IVFs ~ DX - severe MFI mild PCOS homozygous MTHFR (a1298c)
    LO #2 - TTC 7 months, surprise spontaneous BFP!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"