Blended Families

I need reassurance and a hug.

Ok 1st let me say that I've always respected moms and dads for all the hard work they put in with kids. I do not have my own kids, I have SS and SD.

The last two summers I've worked from home and thus DH 6 week visitation during summer consisted of me working nights at home and spending time with the kids when vacation was over and DH had to go back to work.

This is the first year I'm working back inside the office. Yesterday I dropped SS at daycamp, he is fine.

We made a big deal with SD about being a big girl and going to school. We took her to the store let her pick out back pack and supplies (not that they will use them but wanted to make it fun for her).She bounded out of bed yesterday didnt want breakfast wanted to get dressed and go to school. When I dropped her off yesterday she did great. Hardly noticed me leave.

TODAY was a different story.There was leg clinging, tears (her and me). It totally sucked and I never want to do that again.

Re: I need reassurance and a hug.

• ::hug::

That's really tough. I always hated leaving DS like that. 

Does the school have any cameras in the classrooms? The daycare DS went to had camera feeds, and we paid for a month of viewing just so I could get to work and see that he was okay. I could even rewind it and see that it took him about 90 seconds to get over me leaving. It helped me a lot.

my read shelf:
    Erin's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • WahooWahoo member

The adjustment is hard, but kids DO get used to it!  Change is scary, but that doesn't mean that it's a bad thing!

How was she yesterday at pickup?  Was she happy, or crying?  If she was happy at pickup (just ready to go home), then I wouldn't worry.

I would also speak to the teachers about what kind of day she had yesterday, if there were any problems.  It will only reassure you.  Also, if there are problems (like many children already know each other from the school year, your SD is a little bit of an "outsider," - the teachers will recognize the problem and set up steps to overcome them).

image "Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes.
  • Loading the player...
  • SWmamaSWmama member

What PP's said. DD still cries at drop offs for a couple of weeks after she moves up to another classroom. And that's WITH a transition of about a week. It's hard, even now but I know she's fine, probably before I even get in my car. Somtimes I have to leave quickly because I want to start crying myself!

Just keep your tone light and excited about daycare. I always mention the names of some of her friends in her classroom and how much fun they'll have together. That seems to help somewhat.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Ugh, that would break my heart too :-( I hope it gets easier as time goes on.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"