Pregnant after 35
Options

Speaking of registries...

So what's everyone's favourite baby gadget/item on their wishlist? (Or, for those of you who already have children-- what's your favourite item either on this registry or a past one?)

*********************************************************************************************

"You have to do your own growing no matter how tall your grandfather was." 
        -- Abraham Lincoln

Me:39  MH:39 
DD born 6/1/2013 after 15 months of TTC with one loss.    
TTC #2: BFP 4/22 but stalled growth and no HB at 9w3d on 5/30        

<a href="http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/3a2798" style="font-size:smaller;" >
<br /> My Ovulation Chart</a>

Re: Speaking of registries...

• Options

My fave/most used items are:

Fisher Price Rock and Play

Moby wrap

Boppy pillow for nursing

Both my babies love/loved being worn and in the infant stage the Moby wrap was awesome.  As DD got older, I wore her in a Bjorn and then on my back in an Ergo. 

I rarely nurse without the Boppy for either of my kids.  Occasionally we do side-lying in the bed, but more often than not its with the Boppy.

I did not have the rock n play with DD but it was a gift for this LO from a friend who swore by it.  So far we love it!  LO was not a fan of sleeping flat on the back and the RnP is slightly elevated so you are not completely flat. 

Good luck!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options

The Mamaroo

My Bugaboo stroller

of course i have not used any of these yet but they sure look good in the nursery...just waiting for baby to arrive 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Honestly, I only registered for things which baby truely needed or that I was excited about.  So I can't pick out any one thing.  As I built my registery I put everything on there I thought we might want/need.  Then I went back and removed the items that 1) were not necessary for the first 6 months, 2) were not must-haves, or 3) I wouldn't be over the moon to receive as a gift.  That reduced the number of items from about 120 to 90.

I removed RNP, large swing (someone gave us a used smaller one), diapers beyond size 1...

I kept the awesome play yard that we'll be able to travel with, the rocking horse which we did receive as a gift (yay!), minimal neutral clothes to get us through the first couple weeks, kits of meds, bath supplies, first aid....

After my shower I had very minimal returns to make.  We are set to bring LO home, except that I still need to pick up some wipes.  Then we can purchase as needed. 

• Options

I never registered for anything with my two older kids, as we bought the necessities and other people bought clothes, toys, books, etc. However, if I was having my first child and did register, I'd put a lightweight umbrella stroller on it. I think it's great to have one of these, in addition to your main stroller, to keep in the car. We used our cheapo umbrella stroller even more than we used our larger one. It was just so handy whenever we were traveling or making a quick shopping trip, and didn't want to be encumbered with something that takes up a lot of space.

I agree that wipe warmers are a waste. I never used a wipe warmer, and my kids didn't know any better. They just expected wipes to be cold because they'd never had a warm one!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

Wipe warmers make me laugh... I always just took a couple wipes and stuffed them in my bra to warm them while I unbuttoned DSs onsie.

Our go to items were the travel system, and the pack n play (we have a deluxe pack n play with bassinet and changing station on it, so while it's bulky, it's also a god sent while travelling).

The umbrella stroller was nice to have once DS got a bit bigger (and could sit up, I wouldn't put an infant that can't sit up in one), but he out grew it so fast  (and it was so short it tweeked our backs) I'd just be careful which one you register for.

• Options
    A swing.  Emma LOVES her swings. We have two, one big one and a portable travel one.  She is in the little one while I get ready for work in the morning and then DH puts her in the big one while he's getting ready to go (I leave an hour before he does so he takes her to daycare) and she is super happy in both.  She has a toy on the portable one that she plays with and talks to us about and then the big one she loves to stare at the lights and butterflies and will chat with the butterflies before she falls asleep.  When she went through this horrible screaming phase around 6 weeks, the only way I could get her to stop was to put her in the big swing.  It's truly the best thing we've spent money on for her.
  • Options

I'm having so much fun looking at stuff, so it's nice to know ways to narrow it down based on experience!

My sister showed me this, and I TOTALLY want it:   https://www.4moms.com/mamaroo

I was surprised, actually, that MH didn't immediately say "heck no!" and in fact thinks it's a good idea...

I'm going to spend the rest of the afternoon checking out some of the other items listed. We're planning on cloth-diapering, so I have that to check up on as well. But I definitely need to review the Moby, Ergo, Bjorn, etc. because I know those are so different for each individual-- I think I need to make a field trip soon: fun!

*********************************************************************************************

"You have to do your own growing no matter how tall your grandfather was." 
            -- Abraham Lincoln

Me:39  MH:39 
    DD born 6/1/2013 after 15 months of TTC with one loss.    
    TTC #2: BFP 4/22 but stalled growth and no HB at 9w3d on 5/30        

<a href="http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/3a2798" style="font-size:smaller;" >
    <br /> My Ovulation Chart</a>

• Options

People didn't get us too much off our registry, but we did get the Tiny Luv gyminee (sp?) with jungle animals on it and I can't wait to see baby girl use it. Gets very high ratings on amazon. I also am psyched to buy the Puj tub, which fits in the bathroom sink for bathing a newborn and also folds flat. We also got the Primo bathtub (6m-2 yrs) which just came today, and it's cool but I don't know where we will store it! (it's big).

I am totally torn on the swing/bouncer thing, in part because I find them all so hideous-looking. We registered for the fisher-price space saver swing/bouncer, which I like for its small footprint and dual function. Haven't gotten it yet, but just today at Target I picked up a fisher-price baby's bouncer (#2161) that was on clearance for $26. It only vibrates -- no swing. This is hard when you don't know what your baby will like! I'm now thinking the bouncer upstairs where there is less space, and the swing/bouncer downstairs since even though it's small, it would still be unwieldy to cart around the house. 

FWIW, I got alarmed by some of the amazon reviews of the RNP -- mostly from parents who let their babies sleep in it every night, however (flat skull problems). 

me - 41 (dx: DOR); DH - 53 (no problems); 7/18/09 - married!; 8/4/09 - BFP on first (real)try; 9/14/09 - missed m/c; 9/15/09 - d&c; 11/09 - 3/10 - 4 natural cycles = BFN; 4/10 - dx hyperthyroidism caused by Graves' disease; 6/10 - thyroidectomy; 7/10 - 12/10 - 1 natural and 5 medicated IUI cycles = BFN; 1/11 - new RE; dx low ovarian reserve (AMH .42; 1/26/11 -- BFP (ectopic) from IUI #6; methotrexate 2/10/11; 6/2/11 - IVF #1 = BFN; 9/12/11 - prescreening for DE; 9/15/11 - IUI #7 (unmedicated)= BFN; 11/8 - begin DE cycle (shared risk program); 12/5 - ER (5 eggs/4 mature/3 fertilized/2 left by day 5) 12/10 - ET of one 1BB blast (expanded, "fair" quality), none to freeze; 12/22 - totally shocked by +hpt; beta #1 = 413; #2 = 3952 2/14 - CVS reveals a healthy baby girl! EDD: 8/27/12 DD born 8/31/12, 10 lbs 10 oz and perfect in every way. 
  • Options

We won't be registering this time around.  Our best loved baby items are: 

swing- the ones that swing both ways, ds slept in his until he was almost 9 months and dd used it regularly as well

baby carrier- I borrowed a Moby with dd and loved it, we'll likely buy that or the K'tan for this one.  We also got an Ergo and still use it.  In fact I toted my 32 pound almost 3 year old for a weekend of hiking a few days before I found out I was pg.  I couldn't figure out why I was so tired!

the Uppa baby stroller we got for dd is awesome.  I hated the travel system with ds and would never recommend it

Boppy pillow, I need it, especially at the beginning for nursing

Really I think thats it for "must" have besides the essentials that we already have anyway- crib, sheets, blankets, baby towel, clothing, and diapers.  

• Options

Loved:  Bobby Pillow (DS in 13 months and just when i was goign to put it away, he started laying on it all the time, we also used it to prop him up before he could sit), thermometer (we were paranoid as 1st time parents), play mat, I think muchkin makes this its like a ring with a mesh bag that you put food in  so that baby can get used to flavors/textures - i would put frozen purees in it, walker, sheet savers (lay baby face on it and if they spit up, you just have to change this and not the whole sheet)

Could have passed on: bumba seat, standard daiper bag (just too small) and mixing diapering stuff and food grosses me out, bedding set (never used the bumper, crib skirt is really hard to fix when you change the sheet)

• Options
    There will be a 12 year span between the baby and my daughter so we will be registering.  Baby items have changed quite a bit since my daughter was born so I am not sure what I will want quite yet.  The one item I could have functioned without was her swing; she was very colicky and it brought her a modicum of comfort.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"