November 2011 Moms
Options

Hot weather and heat stroke

So here in Cairo it has hit a nice 102 degrees in the afternoons lately. Not normally a problem back home in New Mexico... but there is no air conditioning in DH's parent's house, so inside it gets pretty stuffy and sweaty indoors. I'm worried about DD getting heatstroke or becoming dehydrated. In this condition is it suitable to offer even more water than is normally suggested? DD is sweating a lot, and not soaking diapers like she used to (though she is peeing it's definitely not as much and is no longer clear in color). I have been nursing her twice as much, and wetting her scalp with cool water but it doesn't seem to help much.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Hot weather and heat stroke

• Options
    Can you get your hands on any pedialyte?  I know when DS was getting dehydrated around this age the pediatrician recommended pedialyte over water.  Also make sure you are staying well hydrated.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

I would say give extra water, and if they even sell pedialyte in Cairo,definitely pick some up.

It's burning up here at home, too. Today's high was 110. Yes! I've been giving DS a couple extra ounces of water to keep him hydrated when we're out and about.

Married 02.06.10
    DS1 born 11.19.11
    DS2 born 07.02.14

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I agree about the pedialyte over water, and I would probably keep her in wet clothes. That's always my go to trick when it's hot, to keep soaking my shirt in cold water. And now I'm curious, what part of NM?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imageKaeldrasmommy:
    I agree about the pedialyte over water, and I would probably keep her in wet clothes. That's always my go to trick when it's hot, to keep soaking my shirt in cold water. And now I'm curious, what part of NM?
    Thanks for the suggestions. DH's parents are extremely overprotective. Well, when I say parents, I mean his mother. I'm not even allowed to leave DD in her diaper near the fan or his mother goes ballistic. Forget if I wet her clothes, she makes me put a bib on her to give her water so that her clothes don't get wet and if they do get wet, she changes her immediately. She is just like my grandma in that she thinks being "cold" ir sitting in front of a draft will get you sick or give you pneumonia.... I have just been wetting her scalp, which I still think they disagree with but too bad. I keep saying, she definitely isn't going to freeze to death, while on the other hand, heat stroke is a real possibility. It's hard to change old people's minds. *sigh* 

And about your question, we live in Las Cruces.

• Options
    imageAdanessa:

imageKaeldrasmommy:
    Thanks for the suggestions. DH's parents are extremely overprotective. Well, when I say parents, I mean his mother. I'm not even allowed to leave DD in her diaper near the fan or his mother goes ballistic. Forget if I wet her clothes, she makes me put a bib on her to give her water so that her clothes don't get wet and if they do get wet, she changes her immediately. She is just like my grandma in that she thinks being "cold" ir sitting in front of a draft will get you sick or give you pneumonia.... I have just been wetting her scalp, which I still think they disagree with but too bad. I keep saying, she definitely isn't going to freeze to death, while on the other hand, heat stroke is a real possibility. It's hard to change old people's minds. *sigh* 

And about your question, we live in Las Cruces.

Wow, she's crazy. That's very cool, we're in farmington.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"