April 2012 Moms
Options

Tell me about granular tissue

I had a 4 week check up and she told me I was still healing, so I went back today (2 weeks later) and dr says I have granular tissue and he burns it off with silver nitrate. I have to go back in a week to see if it is all gone. Also at the original check up she said I had a hemroids, which I had pain, but didn't see anything. This time, he said there was no hemroids, it was the pain from the granular tissue...? So what is granular tissue? How long does this silver nitrate burn? Tia 

Re: Tell me about granular tissue

• Options
    I am not sure what it is like on you, but my LO had some on his belly button.  The silver nitrate didn't seem to hurt him at all, and he was fine immediately after the doc put it on him.  I hope it is as easy for you as it was for him!
    imageimage
                                                                            A15 January Siggy Challenge- 

Workout/fitness fails 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I had granulation at my 5 week pp appt and she used silver nitrate. It burned after for like a couple hours. She told me that if I still felt the burning from the tissue after two weeks from the nitrate treatment to call back for another session. I have been good since. From what I understand it to be is that your body is essentially over healing and producing extra tissue. When I looked down there before the silver nitrate it just looked red. When I peed it burned. Now everything is normal. Good luck! 

Lillian April 17, 2012
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Umm, mine wasn't burned off...it was cut off. The nitrate was used only to stop the bleeding...I'm still healing down there but I don't think it's from where I had granular tissue, probably from my perineal tear.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Mine wasn't burned off, my ob had me massage the tissue several times a day, to the point of making it bleed. It hurt like a son of a biitch everytime and took several weeks. I didn't even think of asking if there was an alternate option. DS also had this in hid belly button, the pedi said we could burn it off but his preference was to leave it alone as he couldn't feel anything. I think it took about 6 weeks for his to go away.
  • Options
    Most doctors typically call it "granulation tissue" not granular tissue ;)  It is just normal healing tissue, but sometimes it becomes "hypertrophic".  this just means that it is a little aggressive at healing and overgrows a bit.  It tends to happen more with mucosal type tissue like in your nether region.  The treatment typically is to silver nitrate it or scratch it off (with a scalpel or even the handle end of a scalpel.  The reason this is done that it actually can make a wound heal slower when it's hypertrophic like this and burning/scraping it causes it to reset and heal more normally.  Sometimes it needs to be done multiple times.  How long it takes to heal depends on how big the area is and if it become hypertrophic again.  Silvern nitrate will typically keep with the burning sensation for less then 24 hours unless the practitioner burns surrounding tissue on accident which can happen.  Hope you get better soon ;)
  • Options

At my 6 week pp visit she noticed an area that was irritated and not completely healed. She put some silver nitrate on that area and it seemed to do the trick. It did burn for a little while.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"