Potty Training

Advice on getting DD to sit on potty for longer then 2 secs?

We aren't actively potty training yet (planning to wait until September). But lately DD tells me "I need to go potty." So I reluctantly takle her to the potty and get her all undressed just to have her sit for 2 seconds say "I'm done." Wipe with toilet paper and flush.

I say reluctantly because I know she isn't going to go but I know I should at least let her try. I know this is a step in the right direction but how can I get her to sit longer and maybe give it a shot at peeing or pooping?

Re: Advice on getting DD to sit on potty for longer then 2 secs?

• Pathetically, I have a little potty that I put in our family room and she would sit on it if I put a tv show on, etc.  It just got her used to it, plus it made it realistic to "make it" on time, especially with DS in tow.  Now I am slowly working it back into our bathroom.
    Anna Kate 10.17.2009 Alexander 6.10.2011 Baby Girl 6.2014
  • I used to give her a book to read. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • We sing songs.  I tell her "You have to stay on the potty for just ONE song.  What song do you want to sing?" And we also count our toes.  Lol!  I told her once that she had to stay on until I counted to ten, and to count to ten, we counted our toes.  And by the time we get to ten, she usually forgets why we are counting and she'll stick around a little longer to count our toes a few more times.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Distractions!  Read, sing, count, etc...
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Leah - 6.28.09

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lorelei - 4.23.11

Books Read:
    2013 - 4
    2012 - 50 2011 - 47 2010 - 57
    2009 - 71 2008 - 108 2007 - 33
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"