January 2012 Moms
Options

anyone still swaddling?

my DD is going to be 5 months tomorrow and I'm debating whether to try and stop swaddling her... it was the only thing that worked for her and now it is a cue for her to go to sleep and up til now I've felt like she was too young to try and change her sleep cues. anyways, anyone have any suggestions on how to transition her away from it?
eliza bopple
Eliza born 1-25-12
Baby 2 EDD 7-18-14

Re: anyone still swaddling?

• Options
    My LO will b 6 months in a couple weeks and we r still swaddling ( both arms out). We r using a halo sleep swaddle so I plan on switching her to a regular sleep sack @ 6 months. I have already bought the new sleep sack but it is still to big for her. I am also concerned that I have let the swaddle thing go on for to long. We shall c in a couple weeks. Good luck
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    hmmm ya interesting. i'm pretty sure from what i understand swaddling is ok til a year... i mean if it works it works ya know? well, i think i'm gonna just try it tonight cold turkey and see how it goes.
    eliza bopple
    Eliza born 1-25-12
    Baby 2 EDD 7-18-14
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    sleep sack or miracle blanket? Or just "swaddle" with arms out- pretty much the same as a sleep sack!

Anniversary

• Options
    lp0lp0 member
    I stopped swaddling ds at about 3 months. I would have loved to keep swaddling him because I think he used to sleep much better but he would struggle so much to break out that he'd wake himself up. 
    "Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it the more it will elude you but if u turn your attention to other things it will come & sit softly on your shoulder."

BFP! 04/26/11 - DS born 12/28/11 - BFP #2! 04/02/13 - DD born 12/11/13 -
    My Ovulation Chart

imageimage

• Options
    kali55kali55 member
    We are using the Woombie and I love it!!!  I plan on using it until LO doesn't seem to need it anymore.  Every so often I try him without but he still jerks himself awake

BabyFruit Ticker
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    so i tried it last night and it was a big fat fail! I'm hoping that just one of these days we will try it and it'll work! i'm kinda wondering if when she starts rolling to her tummy if that will help, because she could find a "new" way to sleep then and not be so concerned that she is no longer swaddled ;)
    eliza bopple
    Eliza born 1-25-12
    Baby 2 EDD 7-18-14
  • Options

I can't speak from personal experience as my DD hates being swaddled in any shape or form but lots of my friends have swaddled their LOs until 9 months or longer! There is nothing wrong with it. If it works and your LO is sleeping, just keep doing it. If that would make DD sleep better, believe me I'd be doing it :)

• Options
    sanbrysanbry member
    We are still swaddling with the summer brand swaddles but she's starting to bust out and the Velcro is wearing out. She's not STTN in it anymore anyway like she was so I'm hoping to break the habit soon. We tried a month ago and I gave in because I was tired. She does sleep better in it for naps and bedtime so I am nervous to stop. I need the little sleep I get lol.
  • Options
    We're trying to break the swaddle habit right now. All last week we did 1 arm out and it worked fine. On Saturday we did both arms out and she napped like a champ and slept well at night too. Yesterday she barely napped and was practically delirious from exhaustion by bedtime. She kept waking herself up so I ended up putting both arms in. I figure it's a process and there will be good days and bad days. We'll try again tonight.
  • Options

This might enable you...but we went ahead and purchased this last week (The Sleep Strap from Anna and Eve).  LO would keeping getting her arms out from whatever we tried to use (Sleep Sack, Halo Sack with Swaddle, regular old blanket swadding), and this is pretty much amazing.  She has gone 3 nights now without being able to get out (before, her little arms just keep her awake once she gets out until she gets pissed and we have to get up oh...3-6 times a night to re-swaddle):

https://annaandeve.com/index.html

She is "back" to her "normal"  once-a-night wake-up to eat, and then goes right back down.  The key to this strap are the little pillows that hold their arms in (watch the video). We ordered a Large size, and it works great.  I will keep her swaddled until college (or until she starts rolling over or crawling...whatever comes first). LOL.  Shipping was super fast and customer service is awesome (think it is just a husband and wife operating out of their home in IL).

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

bigbear "I can't speak from personal experience as my DD hates being swaddled in any shape or form but lots of my friends have swaddled their LOs until 9 months or longer! There is nothing wrong with it. If it works and your LO is sleeping, just keep doing it. If that would make DD sleep better, believe me I'd be doing it :)"

thanks for saying that, makes me feel better!

eliza bopple
    Eliza born 1-25-12
    Baby 2 EDD 7-18-14
  • Options

sanbry "We are still swaddling with the summer brand swaddles but she's starting to bust out and the Velcro is wearing out. She's not STTN in it anymore anyway like she was so I'm hoping to break the habit soon. We tried a month ago and I gave in because I was tired. She does sleep better in it for naps and bedtime so I am nervous to stop. I need the little sleep I get lol."

OK, so when you say she isn't STTN in it anymore, do you mean that she comes out of it part way through the night and sleeps part of the night without? or are you saying that she is just waking again?

mine wakes (on a bad night) 5-8 times! i never have to feed but always have to put her paci in... over and over and over.

eliza bopple
    Eliza born 1-25-12
    Baby 2 EDD 7-18-14
  • Options

imagelukalover:
    We're trying to break the swaddle habit right now. All last week we did 1 arm out and it worked fine. On Saturday we did both arms out and she napped like a champ and slept well at night too. Yesterday she barely napped and was practically delirious from exhaustion by bedtime. She kept waking herself up so I ended up putting both arms in. I figure it's a process and there will be good days and bad days. We'll try again tonight.

YESSSS! i like that idea! thank you :) and i hope it works out for you too!

eliza bopple
    Eliza born 1-25-12
    Baby 2 EDD 7-18-14
  • Options
    imageandreaw1124:

This might enable you...but we went ahead and purchased this last week (The Sleep Strap from Anna and Eve).  LO would keeping getting her arms out from whatever we tried to use (Sleep Sack, Halo Sack with Swaddle, regular old blanket swadding), and this is pretty much amazing.  She has gone 3 nights now without being able to get out (before, her little arms just keep her awake once she gets out until she gets pissed and we have to get up oh...3-6 times a night to re-swaddle):

https://annaandeve.com/index.html

She is "back" to her "normal"  once-a-night wake-up to eat, and then goes right back down.  The key to this strap are the little pillows that hold their arms in (watch the video). We ordered a Large size, and it works great.  I will keep her swaddled until college (or until she starts rolling over or crawling...whatever comes first). LOL.  Shipping was super fast and customer service is awesome (think it is just a husband and wife operating out of their home in IL).

thank you! i actually found these too, they are amazing! i will be using them sooner on my next LO most likely. i switched to these because she was too big for the summer large size by 3 months... and i'm glad to hear you say you will keep doing it as long as it works, they HAVE to outgrow it at some point right?!??! LOL

eliza bopple
    Eliza born 1-25-12
    Baby 2 EDD 7-18-14
  • Options
    sanbrysanbry member
    imageaboynamedbarry:

sanbry "We are still swaddling with the summer brand swaddles but she's starting to bust out and the Velcro is wearing out. She's not STTN in it anymore anyway like she was so I'm hoping to break the habit soon. We tried a month ago and I gave in because I was tired. She does sleep better in it for naps and bedtime so I am nervous to stop. I need the little sleep I get lol."

OK, so when you say she isn't STTN in it anymore, do you mean that she comes out of it part way through the night and sleeps part of the night without? or are you saying that she is just waking again?

mine wakes (on a bad night) 5-8 times! i never have to feed but always have to put her paci in... over and over and over.

No, she doesn't even get out of it, just wakes up and cries randomly throughout the night. When I stopped swaddling her for a week she'd go down 8-830, cry out at 1030, wake up 3-4 and play and talk, and then go down from 630. She doesn't really take a paci:( in the swaddle, generally, she will wake up but go back down faster when she realizes she can't play with anything. I don't wanna spend anymore money on swaddles bc the Velcro craps out but I'm in school and need some sort of sleep. It stinks bc bedtime used to be the only time I could count on sleep bc she slept so well. 

• Options
    We still swaddle. We tried leaving his arms out a few nights and he slept really badly. 
    DSC_2211

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

DS will be 6 months next week and we still swaddle.  We had talked about trying to stop, but he sleeps SO MUCH BETTER (and he doesn't sleep all that well to begin with).  We are way to exhausted these days to change anything that helps.

image image
    BabyName Ticker
  • Options
    lrw327lrw327 member
    We stopped swaddling DD at around 3 months b/c she grew out of all the ones we had and b/c she started hating them and was always trying to get out of them. They were awesome up til that point though! She started flipping to her tummy to sleep btwn 4-5 months and loves doing that and she won't take a paci (she did for the first 4-6 wks and then decided she hated that too lol). But she has always STTN so I guess swaddling didn't really "do" much of anything one way or the other, so I'm probably not much help here! I know a ton of people who also swaddle til the one year mark and their babies love it too though!:)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"