December 2011 Moms
Options

My Saturday UO

I will begin Ferber when lucas is fully healed. He isn't "sick" anymore, just has painless scabbing blisters. Once the pedi says he is better we will wait a bit longer to give him a chance to get back to his "normal" patterns, and then we will begin. I am almost finished reading the book. Lucas has been waking every 45 min to hr from 7pm till 7am. He is not getting much night sleep. The few weeks before he was sick he'd do 1-2 hr stretches. He is rolling awake in his crib and won't go back down in his crib. He is unable to self soothe and will not go down drowsy but awake. He isn't even looking to nurse every waking, he just can't get back to sleep without me. He will be six months Tuesday and all I have is the summer before I return to work. DH and I are both off now so better now than later. I also want to get rid of the RnP as the straps barely fit!  My son cries whether we are in the room or not, holding him or not, so hopefully the crying won't slice my heart in half!!!

Lilypie - (ovfd)

Re: My Saturday UO

• Options
    it's hard the first night or two, but just keep reminding yourself that as long as he's fed, clean, dry, and tired, he needs to sleep and this will help.  I Ferbered Adriana a couple weeks ago and it's made everything better - bedtime, naps, etc.  Sometimes she still fusses/cries out a little when I put her down, but it usually only lasts a couple of minutes.  I hope it goes smoothly for you!
    AVT - 12.2.11

LCT - 5.15.14 ~ 9lbs, 22.5 inches

• Options
    Good luck! There is nothing wrong with letting them cry it out once they're this old. Hopefully he gets the hang of it quickly and everybody can get some good sleep!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Fastest year of my life. Lilypie First Birthday tickerswww.MyVacationCountdown.com Ticker
    imageimageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Good luck!! I did it when LO was 4.5 months old. It took two nights of 15 minutes of crying. Now he falls asleep all on his own. It's great. His nighttime sleep though is not great.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    imagebelle785:
    Good luck!! I did it when LO was 4.5 months old. It took two nights of 15 minutes of crying. Now he falls asleep all on his own. It's great. His nighttime sleep though is not great.
    So he goes down ok but wakes often? Does he put himself back to sleep at night or you have to tend to him?

Lilypie - (ovfd)

• Options
    Also, what is your plan for the night wakings? I'm interested in this because it is turning out to be a fail for my LO. I don't feed him until after a certain time. He will sleep until that time for a few nights, and then his waking's keep getting earlier and earlier. I don't know what to do about it.

• Options
    imagebelle785:
    Also, what is your plan for the night wakings? I'm interested in this because it is turning out to be a fail for my LO. I don't feed him until after a certain time. He will sleep until that time for a few nights, and then his waking's keep getting earlier and earlier. I don't know what to do about it.
    Not sure yet. Do you Ferber his night Wakings also?  MrsT maybe has advice???

Lilypie - (ovfd)

• Options
    We also did Ferber for naps. Maybe I am just evil but the crying didn't even bother me after one or two times. Probably because I was near crazy from her fighting sleep all day already. haha I just went outside on my back porch and read for a bit. She would always fall asleep and now she does SO GOOD! As soon as I lay her down she knows to not fight it and just pass out. I really hope it works out for you, I know you have had a ROUGH time! Oh and I'm glad he is feeling better =)
  • Options

imagehlc820:
    imagebelle785:
    So he goes down ok but wakes often? Does he put himself back to sleep at night or you have to tend to him?

Sometimes he puts himself to sleep because I have Febered his nighttime wakings but like I said in the other post, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. He will have a few good weeks, then the next weeks not so much. We are nap training right now though so I'm hoping it helps.

• Options

We did a modified version of Ferber about a week ago.  The first night he went down right away but would wake up at 4 am and eat like 2 oz.  So that's really the feeding we wanted to eliminate.  The first night he cried for about 20 min at 4.  After that night he didn't wake up at all.  Last night was the first night we put him down somewhat drowsy.  He cried for less than a minute and was out after that.  

I just did the drowsy thing with his nap and he didn't even cry or fuss, fell right asleep and has been sleeping for just about an hour.  

The middle of the night feedings don't bother me because if he's hungry I want to feed him.  But I knew as soon as he quit drinking his full bottle, or even half that he was waking out of habit rather than hunger.  Now when he wakes up he still doesn't drink a full bottle right away, it takes him about an hour to even get hungry.  

So far sleep training is great and I would recommend it to anyone!  We never had a hard time getting him to sleep, it was always the night feedings so I figured if we could get him to learn to self soothe then he would be able to STTN.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I don't know Ferber well, but I am having great results from No Cry Sleep Solution. A is ony waking Twice a night now, instead of eight!

• Options
    imagekwinkle1980:
    I don't know Ferber well, but I am having great results from No Cry Sleep Solution. A is ony waking Twice a night now, instead of eight!
    This is my next read!!! Hopefully Tomorrow!!

Lilypie - (ovfd)

• Options
    It's so worth it!  It only took us two nights and now I can put DS down wide awake (as long as he's tired) and he goes to sleep by himself.  We did it for naps too and it's been a total lifesaver.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I know all about the heart-slicing emotions.  When we were sleep training DD a few years ago I would go outside and pull weeds because it was hard on me to hear her cry.  DH stayed inside and would let me know when she'd fallen asleep.  My perennial gardens never looked better. 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    You can Ferber night wakings - you treat them the same as bedtime (so start with 3 minutes, then 5, then 10, etc) but you don't have to do them at the same time as bedtimes.  I did bedtime first.  then a week or so later did middle of the nights. 
    AVT - 12.2.11

LCT - 5.15.14 ~ 9lbs, 22.5 inches

• Options
    We tried CIO too early and DD hysterically cried for 45 minutes until I couldn't take it anymore and went and got her. I knew she was ready when I tried the second time and she was just mad/yelling at me crying. She was a little over 5 months old. She self soothes more often than she doesn't, but usually all I have to do if she starts really crying is walk in and hand her her pacifier and she's good to go. If you have a video monitor, watch him as he cries- you'll know if it's actual distress or if he's just pissed off at you haha. Good luck!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Thanks everyone. I spent all day crying. Angry that he has so many sleep associations. Mad that he never got used to back sleep bc of his reflux, mad that I suck at persistence. I dread the night time. He went to bed at 7pm and its 9:42 and he's already woken three times. He is not hungry or hurt or wet. I am too tired to finish reading ferbers book tonight but if I had millions I'd pay him to personally train my child. 

Lilypie - (ovfd)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"