Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

Reflux baby sounds congested?

Does your baby sound congested?  My DS has acid reflux and when we switched pediatricians they switched his prilosec from twice a day to once a day.  Ever since then he has sounded super congested.  Has slimey boogers in his nose, but they are way back in his nose so hard to get.  He isn't sick.  Anyone experiencing the same thing?  I feel bad for him bc he can't blow his nose, i've used q-tips to clear it out but he gets so frustrated.  I wonder if it is refluxed formula?
+hpt on December 27th, 2010--miscarriage and D&C at 12 weeks--angel taken too soon but never forgotten Clomid started June 2011-- +hpt July 2, 2011--grow baby grow :) Chance Bryant born @ 31 weeks due to abruption Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Reflux baby sounds congested?

• Options
    Kate will sound congested every now and then. I think it's normal. However, I'm not sure about the stuffy nose...you may want to call the pedi about that.
  • Options
    mcleremclere member

Well I am in the same boat as you. My lo developed a congested nose at 11 weeks. She is 16 weeks now. I thought she caught her first cold. The pedi thinks she has silent reflux. I think she may actually have a milk sensitivity.

She has had mucus in her stools, very gassy, restless sleep etc. So per her pedi I switched her to Alimentum. It's only been 5 days. I'm trying to find out if it's caused by an allergy before putting her on meds. I really don't want to do that.

The mucus can go hand in hand with reflux and milk allergy/sensitivty. Does your baby have any other issues like some of what I mentioned above?

Yeah and I put saline in her nose and suction it and I can't ever get the congested sounding part out. Just the boogies. It's sounds like it's way back in her nasal cavity.

At first when it first asppeared her pedi tried telling me some babies just sound that way. BS! My baby was fine until 11 weeks. I don't think it's normal to just be congested all the time and blame it saying babies have small noses. Then why did it take this long to manifest?

Keep me posted on what your pedi says I'm curious.

Follow Me on Pinterest Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Congested yes. Especially in the mornings.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    My daughter has silent reflux and has been super congested since birth.  As a matter of fact, I asked her Pediatrician if she thought it was a sign DD had allergies (I have HORRIBLE allergies).  She was like, oh no, she's fine.  Well we didn't really diagnose her with reflux until she was 2 months old.  In between that time, I used the Little Noses saline and Nosefrida.  Sometimes I'd get something out, but the majority of the time I suck and suck and nothing comes out.  Her pediatrician said that congestion and the wheezing sound is normal with reflux.  I just make sure to use those saline drops in the morning and before bed, and run a cool mist vaporizer at night.
  • Options
    imagemclere:

Well I am in the same boat as you. My lo developed a congested nose at 11 weeks. She is 16 weeks now. I thought she caught her first cold. The pedi thinks she has silent reflux. I think she may actually have a milk sensitivity.

She has had mucus in her stools, very gassy, restless sleep etc. So per her pedi I switched her to Alimentum. It's only been 5 days. I'm trying to find out if it's caused by an allergy before putting her on meds. I really don't want to do that.

The mucus can go hand in hand with reflux and milk allergy/sensitivty. Does your baby have any other issues like some of what I mentioned above?

Yeah and I put saline in her nose and suction it and I can't ever get the congested sounding part out. Just the boogies. It's sounds like it's way back in her nasal cavity.

At first when it first asppeared her pedi tried telling me some babies just sound that way. BS! My baby was fine until 11 weeks. I don't think it's normal to just be congested all the time and blame it saying babies have small noses. Then why did it take this long to manifest?

Keep me posted on what your pedi says I'm curious.

My DS is on alimentum as well due to milk intolerance.  He has always been wheezy since birth but he was also born 9 weeks early with under developed lungs.  His wheezing isn't as bad but it is definitely a chronic thing that comes and goes throughout the day.

His congestion in the nose was horrible today.  I too suction and also use q-tips to get boogies out but he still sounds like he has so much build up mucus in his nasal cavity that I cannot get to.  It was so bad today that I had to give him a break every 30-60 seconds while eating bc he could barely breath through his nose.  He is not sick by any means.  No fever or anything.  I honestly think that when he refluxes while laying down, it comes up through his nose and gets stuck in the nasal cavity.  He is already on meds for reflux but we recently switched from prevacid to prilosec suspension that is compounded.  I don't think that the pharmacy compounded it well because the drug is not very suspended.  It sits in the bottom of the bottle and even with shaking it doesn't suspend well.  I'm going to switch back to the prevacid and call the doctor monday and try to get him in first thing tuesday morning bc I work 9 am-9 pm monday.  I'm also going to ask if we should be referred to an ear, nose and throat doctor.  He is constantly swatting at his nose bc i'm sure all the snorting he does and mucus that is stuck is very annoying to him.  Poor guy... i'll keep you posted on what the pedi says!  I hope the alimentum works for you!

+hpt on December 27th, 2010--miscarriage and D&C at 12 weeks--angel taken too soon but never forgotten Clomid started June 2011-- +hpt July 2, 2011--grow baby grow :) Chance Bryant born @ 31 weeks due to abruption Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"