Baby Showers
Options

Lost Gift Card

Hi all, 

I had my shower last Saturday, put on by some friends from work. It was a coed shower and it was a wonderful experience. I have a dilemma though. The hostess of the shower and her husband gave us a gift card and a couple of books. When we had finished unwrapping/thanking/etc, my husband took the gift card aside right away for "safe-keeping," and I moved on to the next gift.

You know where this is going: he has no idea where the card is or where it's gone. We've combed through everything everyone gave us and can't find it or a gift receipt from them. I'm pretty sure they gave us a gift receipt from Target with the GC (where the books were from and where the GC was from). They are not normally super organized with things like spending (we are friends outside of work). So I am a bit worried that if we call and ask, "hey, you wouldn't happen to still have your original receipt," the answer will be "no" and the nice people who hosted our shower would end up feeling bad that their gift wasn't received, when it is our dumb fault we lost the card. I think it was for around $30 if that matters. Even if we get the receipt, will we still be able to get the store credit? I don't know what happens if you actually lose the item, so there may be no point in raising the issue. 

What would you do next? Still tell them we lost the card? They did host the shower, and I feel like they already gave us so much by doing that. 

Re: Lost Gift Card

• Options
    Thanks, that was what I was thinking...then I started thinking about what I would want if the shoe were on the other foot, and I couldn't decide and got all confused. 
  • Options
    imageSmileyGirl18:

I would write  a thank you note thanking them for the GC and let it go.

If you find the GC, great.  If not, it is your fault for losing it.  Don't contact the gift giver because you can't find something. 

This.  Just thank them for the gift and if you know how you would have used the card (towards something bigger, or to buy ___), then thank them as if you're still going to do that.  "Thanks so much for the GC.  We can't wait to use it to finish out our registry/ buy a PNP/ buy his bath toys" - or whatever. 

I don't see how getting the receipt is going to help you- I can't imagine that the store would replace the gift card! 

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Did you try looking through all your husbands pants the washer/dryer under the bed? Maybe it isn't with the other baby stuff.
  • Options
    imageEastCoastBride:

I don't see how getting the receipt is going to help you- I can't imagine that the store would replace the gift card! 

I think they can if the number of the GC is on the receipt--they can look it up, see that it hasn't been used, and transfer the store credit to another card. We had a problem with an iTunes card once and Apple did something similar. That was the only reason I even considered saying anything. 

Anyway, thank you! We'll do as you suggested.  

• Options

Check the glove compartment of your car. My hubby is notorious for popping things in there and then finding them MONTHS later...

And I agree, don't mention it to them. Thank them for the gift card, and kick yourself for losing it... :(

Callie photo Callie1.jpg
  • Options
    imageSmileyGirl18:

If you find the GC, great.  If not, it is your fault for losing it.  Don't contact the gift giver because you can't find something. 

Yeah, ditto that.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I would definitely send a thank you card for the shower and gift...but I wouldn't ask about the gift or receipt. Honestly, you lost it...hopefully you find it, but you should not burden your friends with the mishap.

Fingers crossed....gift cards are awesome.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imagelittlepenguins:
    Thanks, that was what I was thinking...then I started thinking about what I would want if the shoe were on the other foot, and I couldn't decide and got all confused. 

Don't say anything to them.  It would put them in a terribly awkward situation where they would feel like they would have to replace it.  If they are polite people they wouldn't say " Sorry, tough luck." 

Just send a kind thank you card and pray you find it later.  If not then it is a lesson learned.

Oh and I highly highyl doubt they still have the receipt.  Even if they did, who knows if Target would honor it.  Still not worth making your generous friends feel uncomfortable.

• Options
    sesigssesigs member
    imagestw_77:

imagelittlepenguins:

Don't say anything to them.  It would put them in a terribly awkward situation where they would feel like they would have to replace it.  If they are polite people they wouldn't say " Sorry, tough luck." 

Just send a kind thank you card and pray you find it later.  If not then it is a lesson learned.

I agree with this. I think mentioning anything to them would put them in a very awkward position!  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Pregnancy tickers BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Sometimes I really wonder what is wrong with people.  Why would it ever cross your mind as being okay to contact your friend and tell them you lost the gift card?! Its not their responsibility to replace it, but you will be making them feel as though they are obligated to do so.  You need to write a thank you immediately and then get over it.  If you find it, great, otherwise have a better plan for next time.
    imageimage
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imagecwm11985:
    Sometimes I really wonder what is wrong with people.  Why would it ever cross your mind as being okay to contact your friend and tell them you lost the gift card?! Its not their responsibility to replace it, but you will be making them feel as though they are obligated to do so.  You need to write a thank you immediately and then get over it.  If you find it, great, otherwise have a better plan for next time.

The only reason I was considering it is that if the shoe were on the other foot (and my friend had lost a card I bought for her), I would want to her to tell me so that I could try and get Target to replace the card. But I was uneasy about doing so and came here to ask for advice, and decided to follow the advice that was given. Thank you for your response.

• Options
    Well, good news: my husband found the card in his car! I don't know if it fell out of a bag or what, but I am feeling very grateful that it was found. After all of that (and getting flamed by someone, because of course this is the baby shower board lol!) the problem has solved itself. Thank you all for your time--I'm grateful that you took the time to respond.
  • Options
    imageSmileyGirl18:

This.  Also, don't bother with trying to get store credit for a lost gift card.  They are the same as cash...anyone could use it.  Hope you find it.

• Options
    imagelittlepenguins:
    imageEastCoastBride:

I think they can if the number of the GC is on the receipt--they can look it up, see that it hasn't been used, and transfer the store credit to another card. We had a problem with an iTunes card once and Apple did something similar. That was the only reason I even considered saying anything. 

Anyway, thank you! We'll do as you suggested.  

Even if they did this...someone else might have the card and possibly already used it.  Hopefully that isn't the case though.  I still would not ask the gift-giver for the receipt since you would have to tell them you lost the gift card.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"