January 2011 Moms
Options

I'm employed!!

Sorry I've been MIA for the past week, but I have news!

My interview on Tuesday was AMAZING. They called me later that day to tell me it was looking good and I got a great offer yesterday. It was really better than what I'd been hoping for and WAY better than anything I would get in academia. They are super psyched to get me and even didn't want to delay my start date for fear that another company would steal me away!

I slept on it and was going to contact some of the other places I'd applied today to see what the status is but then realized that nothing I'd be doing at any of those places would be half as cool as the offer I had. So, I signed a little while ago!

I'm so excited and SO nervous and trying not to think about how hard it'll be to leave my baby. I do think she's ready for school and interacting with other kids though. I had been worried about the fall anyway because we couldn't really afford to send her to any kind of program but I really felt she needed it. My hours aren't crazy long (and they are super understanding of having young children and there is a lot of telecommuting anyway) and DH is done at 3pm anyway so even if he goes to the gym he'd be able to pick up DD by 5.

It feels like my life can start and that we'll be ok. The never ending pressure of how we're going to be able to make it is lifted. It is so nice to not feel like I have to be so incredibly cheap about everything!

We negotiated the start date to July 16 (they wanted me next week and I originally thought September). I was freaked at first, but now I'm glad that I'll start getting paid sooner. We were planning on going away at the end of August so I'll be able to take that time unpaid, which is still great.

I need to find daycare!!

Thanks for all the emotional support over the past almost 2 years (!!). You ladies are awesome!

Oh - and I'll be in Mahwah so maybe we can have some GTGs in NJ.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
DD1: born 1/19/11. DD2: born 10/10/13

Re: I'm employed!!

• Options
    Congrats!  That is amazing, and sounds like a great job.

• Options

That is great news!  Sounds like you found the perfect job.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Great news!!!  Congrats!!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Congrats!

• Options
    Yay! Congrats!! Party!!!
  • Options
    Congrats! Great news!

Siggy Badges

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Way to go RedZee!! That is very exciting. So maybe I missed this, but what field is it in if you don't mind sharing.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    RedZeeRedZee member

Thanks everyone!

It's for a multinational computer software company that, as far as I know, seems to be the biggest player in speech recognition software. I'll be working on how people interact with the software/applications so I'll get to use the research I've done in how the brain processes language.

• Options

Congratulations!! I was hoping you'd get this one because it works out perfect for a NJ gtg haha jk

Are you excited to do the NY-NJ commute? haha At least you are not paying NJS, NYS AND NYC taxes :) I'd try to figure out the shortest commute with the least tolls, NJ charges you at every mile marker or so it seems.

Good luck finding a daycare, we had DD waitlisted since we found out about her (in 2010) and were lucky that our first choice could take her at 15 months. We were ready to see her off at 13 mos but it worked out anyway. We also already met with the preschool that we're interested in but it's more than likely we will not be living here at that time.

• Options
    Redzee - that is awesome! I'm so excited for you!!!
  • Options
    RedZeeRedZee member
    imageHALFM00N:

Congratulations!! I was hoping you'd get this one because it works out perfect for a NJ gtg haha jk

Are you excited to do the NY-NJ commute? haha At least you are not paying NJS, NYS AND NYC taxes :) I'd try to figure out the shortest commute with the least tolls, NJ charges you at every mile marker or so it seems.

Good luck finding a daycare, we had DD waitlisted since we found out about her (in 2010) and were lucky that our first choice could take her at 15 months. We were ready to see her off at 13 mos but it worked out anyway. We also already met with the preschool that we're interested in but it's more than likely we will not be living here at that time.

The commute ends up not being bad at all. I have to take 1 bridge, but I'm going against rush hour so while the other side is a parking lot I get to breeze through. There's an EZ Pass plan where you get a discount on the bridge too. So in the end, I'm my commute is about 35 minutes with no traffic and we get cheaper gas in NJ.

I'm nervous about finding a daycare and about starting a daycare. We found a couple that were ok when I had a job offer last year, but they were just ok. I'm going to have a REALLY hard time transitioning from being with DD all the time to having her in daycare full time. I'm trying not to think about it because it's scaring me. I know she's ready for it and will love it, but I can't imagine seeing her for so few hours a day.

Where are you thinking of moving?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"