Pre-School and Daycare
Options

Fluoride vs. fluoridated toothpaste- what does your pedi/dentist recommend?

I forgot to ask the pedi at DDs 3 year well visit and prefer to talk to our pedi than the nurse/question line. Our towns water does not have additional fluoride, so we had been giving her a supplement, but I stopped giving it to her many months ago. She uses a toothpaste without fluoride in it, and I intended to switch to a fluoridated toothpaste when she learned to spit the toothpaste out, which she hasn't mastered yet.

Anyways, I'm wondering what your pedi or dentist has recommended. I would rather her use fluoridated toothpaste than a fluoride supplement.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
IMG_0173.11
Trying for #2 since July 2010
BFP 8/1/10, missed m/c, D&C 9/15/10.
BFP 1/8/11, chemical pregnancy.
BFP 3/4/11, measured behind all along, no more HB 4/18/11. D&C 4/29/11. HCG didn't drop, Repeat D&C 6/17/11; confirmed molar pregnancy 6/23/11.
Forced break, including two Hysteroscopies in October to remove retained tissue.
BFP 12/29/11! Betas @ 10 dpo = 85, 14 dpo= 498, 22 dpo = 7242
Heard HB 1/24/12. 144 bpm!

Luca Rose born 9/9/12! More than worth the wait!

Re: Fluoride vs. fluoridated toothpaste- what does your pedi/dentist recommend?

• Options
    A fluoride TP is topical, where as a fluoride supplement is systemic.  They need both - the topical protects the teeth you see, the systemic aids in proper growth of the teeth you can't see. 

5/10 - Gideon 6/12 Warren
    4/11 Started adoption process for 2 siblings through DCF. 10/12 Found out we are licensed! 12/14 Brought 3 week old identical twin girls home from the hospital.  Could be at least until Summer 1015 til we know if they are forever ours
  • Options
    We don't have fluoridated water where we live either and both our pedi and dentist suggest both - vitamins with fluoride and toothpaste with fluoride (but they said toothpaste only when DS was good about spitting it out... We started that around 3-3.5 yrs)
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imagemsditz00:
    A fluoride TP is topical, where as a fluoride supplement is systemic.  They need both - the topical protects the teeth you see, the systemic aids in proper growth of the teeth you can't see. 

This.  

Jen - Mom to two December 12 babies Nathaniel 12/12/06 and Addison 12/12/08
  • Options

My dentist said no fluoridated toothpaste until 4, and when he/she can use it properly.  We have fluoridated water, though.  I would do the supplements and work on teaching LO o spit out the toothpaste ASAP.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Not trying to cause controversy, but there are a lot of concerns about systemic fluoride. Our town has flouridated water and we do not drink it (or very little anyway). Flouride in toothpaste makes sense, but I do not believe it makes sense in water. Look into it for yourself. Here's a Wikipedia article on it, and there are a million websites if you google it...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_fluoridation_controversy

• Options
    imagestellasam:

Not trying to cause controversy, but there are a lot of concerns about systemic fluoride. Our town has flouridated water and we do not drink it (or very little anyway). Flouride in toothpaste makes sense, but I do not believe it makes sense in water. Look into it for yourself. Here's a Wikipedia article on it, and there are a million websites if you google it...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_fluoridation_controversy

Thanks to everyone for there comments. Stellasam- I am well aware of the controversy, which is why I am questioning what I should do. Thank you for posting this though, because I'm not sure everyone is aware. It seems silly to be to not let DD have fluoridated toothpaste until 4 (or later), yet give her systemic fluoride every day. Topical fluoride is the most important, and while you can't measure it quite as accurately as a supplement, you can limit it to a pea sized amount. (Besides, our dietary intake isn't measured either, so I'm not to concerned if she gets a tiny bit more vs a tiny bit less from her toothpaste on occasion).

I have a call out to the pedi to discuss the pros & cons with him, which I intended to do at our visit last week.

IMG_0173.11
    Trying for #2 since July 2010
    BFP 8/1/10, missed m/c, D&C 9/15/10.
    BFP 1/8/11, chemical pregnancy.
    BFP 3/4/11, measured behind all along, no more HB 4/18/11. D&C 4/29/11. HCG didn't drop, Repeat D&C 6/17/11; confirmed molar pregnancy 6/23/11.
    Forced break, including two Hysteroscopies in October to remove retained tissue.
    BFP 12/29/11! Betas @ 10 dpo = 85, 14 dpo= 498, 22 dpo = 7242
    Heard HB 1/24/12. 144 bpm!

Luca Rose born 9/9/12! More than worth the wait!
  • Options
    Our dentist said flouride toothpaste was ok at 2 even though he doesn't spit it properly but to use a single grain of rice size amount and not a pea size. We don't do it daily, but do use it once a week.
  • Options

imagekar5162:
    Our dentist said flouride toothpaste was ok at 2 even though he doesn't spit it properly but to use a single grain of rice size amount and not a pea size. We don't do it daily, but do use it once a week.

This is what our pediatric dentist told us at our last appt as well. (DS was 3)

Married: '06 - Mom of 3 boys: '08, '11 & '14

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"