Special Needs

Question on delayed speech

My twins will be 18 months in mid July and I am starting to worry about their lack of words.  If I am being honest with myself, they really only have 2 words that they say with intent.  They say Dadda all of the time, but it can be while they are pointing to a painting on the wall, so I would not count that as a word. The other words are uh-oh (does that even count?) and Momma.  They do not say Momma all that often either though...

There are some circumstances that I should mention, because I think they could be having an impact on their level of speech.  My MIL watches them 40-50 hours a week while we are working.  She speaks to them only in Greek, so they are learning 2 languages.  I do not think I have heard them saying any Greek words yet either, but wonder if bilingual babies have a slower start?  My oldest was in the same sitaution, but she had plenty of words at this age.  Also, I know that I am not necessarily "letting" them talk.  If they need something, they will point to it and sort of wimper as their way of asking for help.  They also make this clicking/lip smacking noise when they are hungry.  I thought it was really cute in the beginning, but they are still using that instead of using words!  If they want me to open something for them, they will bring it to me, open my hand and place that object in my hand.  I have 3 little ones and life is hectic, so I do what I can to satisfy their needs as easily/quickly as possible.  Am I part of the problem though?

Sorry for the long/rambling post.  They do go to the pedi in a month for a check up, and I have a feeling she will not be happy with their progress either.

Re: Question on delayed speech

• Please don't think you're "part of the problem"- it sounds like you have a great situation with a loving MIL willing to watch your kids. My child didn't have many words- probably the same as yours- at 16 months. I wasn't that concerned, I figured it would come around. Our DCP was more concerned because she had several children in her care and she noticed other differences in DS. He didn't like playing games with the other kids. He didn't point (e.g. index finger, point to cup, look at cup, look back at mom to make the connection that he wants a cup. Instead of doing this he would just walk up to the cup and whine at it, or come to me, grab my hand while staring at my hand, and lead my hand to the cup). He was very irritable.

Before you even go to the pedi I would call your local EI services (could be county or school district, just google "early intervention" in your area). I was not convinced DS had a real problem, but I made the call because  I figured it couldn't hurt. It took about 2 months from the phone call to have a diagnosis- autism spectrum. They started therapy immediately and looking back, I don't know where my son would be today if we hadn't started so young. You kids are twins so there's probably a whole different set of standards out there, and your situation might be nothing more than a speech delay that requires a little catch up. You won't know until you call! Good luck and please don't beat yourself up about it!

• finsupfinsup member

18 months - 2 years is really a time frame for a language explosion.  I first became concerned at about 18 months with my DS too, the words were just not coming and he was not really even trying to say anything.  At around age 2 he had about 20 - 30 words, no stringing words at all.  The Pedi was not concerned, but I and my daycare provider were.  I had him evaluted by EI and he did qualify for speech.

But, as you point out you have a couple of variables.  Kids in bilingual households do tend to have a slower start, and twins can too. 

I would definitely bring it up at your pedi appt and get his/her opinion.  If you are still concerned in a month or so call your states EI for an evalution to see if they qualify for services. 

• Loading the player...
  • I agree a lot with what everyone is saying.  My son is almost 18 months and has few words.  My husband was speaking Spanish with him, but has decreased it because of the delays.  He just recently started saying "dada" correctly.  "Car" is another word he loves.  He started saying "hi" to random people in the store too.  We are a little concern with his speech.  "Car" and "dada" are his mastered words.  He is starting to use "mama" more.  Communication breakdown happens a lot because he understands a lot, but the doctors feel his low tone is impacting speech because it's in his face too.  So he can't express what he wants.  

We are in early intervention for PT btw.  I found getting him enrolled was a process so I would suggest getting them evaluated if you feel in your heart that you need to...even for a piece of mind.  They could say they are just fine. Have you tried simple signs with them?  It's helped us with communication breakdown.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Mother of An Angel - 11/12/09
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"