Two Under 2
Options

Questions about cribs and strollers

Hi Girls!

So we are pregnant with number 2. Our first is currently 15 months so they will be 22-23 months apart depending on when the baby is born!  My main question is whether or not we need a second crib? We kept DD in our room in a pack n play bassinet until she outgrew it at about 8 weeks (she was big! Lol). So we are figuring the same timeline with #2.  Here's the thing, I don't want to force Brynne out of her crib (which is literally the ONLY place she sleeps- never falls asleep in the car, our bed, etc) and I don't want her to feel displaced either. What do you all think?  What was your experience if you have a similar age gap?

Im also starting to research double strollers.  What do you all think is a good type for this age gap?  I'm thinking side by side and am interested in the Joovy x2 and the indie indie  twin as well as the maclaren twin techno.  The thing is, Brynne already hates the stroller (always has) so maybe we don't need a double? Am thinking more for like trips to the Zoo, etc when it may be too much walking for her.

Anyway, you are all my heroes already! Thanks in advance for your advice! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Questions about cribs and strollers

• Options
    I decided to go with a 2nd crib.  My hubby thinks I am nuts but I too don't want to push our 22 month old out of the crib.  I got another convertible so I can move each one when they need it.  My little man will be barely 2 when the next one arrives.  I also think by not changing my first ones room he will have his comfort zone in there when the new baby comes.
  • Options

I got a second crib. I didn't want to transition my daughter since she was content in her crib and it helped contain her. Even though she started climbing out of it less than a month after my youngest moved into his own room, I don't regret it. We just switched my daughter's crib to a toddler bed.

I got a Graco double stroller for $1 at a yard sale last year, so I am very happy with that purchase. I did wear the baby at times, but it was convenient to be able to just snap his infant seat in the stroller without waking him when he was a newborn. However, I haven't used it a ton since my oldest usually wants to walk (but the extra space is sometimes useful and it's nice to have the option to have both kids secure). I think I would have regretted buying a new one for full price. 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

We didn't get a 2nd crib or a double stroller. We have the same spacing as you.

Crib - I just couldn't afford a 2nd crib and a toddler bed had been handed down to us. We transitioned my son at 18 months (before baby was born) and it's been fine.

Stroller - My son rarely used the stroller anymore. He had stopped using it for outings around 15 months and stopped even using it when we walked the dog by 20 months. He's a good walker and has been fine without the stroller. I also never used it much anyway, I prefer babywearing. When I go out with both kids I wear the baby and the toddler walks. Sometimes I bring the stroller for the baby if I know I'll have to be interactive with the toddler (like at the children's museum). For longer outings I bring the stroller and a carrier that will work for either child. I can push the toddler and wear the baby or the other way around, depending on who is fussy/tired. Super big places like the zoo or Disney always have double strollers to rent. I'd rather pay $10 the few times we go during the years when they're little than pay even $50 for a double that we'll only use a handful of times. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Thank you all for the great advice.  You've given me lots to think about!  I forgot to mention we will be moving into a house we are building in oct/nov so that's probably enough of a transition for Brynne without also taking away her crib!  I will wait until we move though to buy a second crib if she doesn't seem ready by then. 

Celia- good point about the park rentals I didn't even think of that! 

• Options
    skyejoskyejo member

DD1 and DD2 will be about 23 months apart.  We switched DD to a toddler bed at 17 months but she was never used to her crib--in fact, she hated it.  We bedshared from the beginning so that's what she was comfortable with.  I don't necessarily want to bedshare with both a toddler and newborn and didn't want to try to get LO in a crib only to switch her to a bed shortly thereafter so we went with the toddler bed.

You have a while so I'd try the crib mattress on the floor in a couple months and see how your DD does with it.  It might take a few days to get her adjusted but who knows, she may love it.  And if not, you can always keep her in the crib and buy a new one for this baby. 

My DD has always hated the stroller too unless we're jogging so we're getting the BOB Duallie and nothing else.  For the zoo I use our wagon which DD will stay in for short periods of time.  I will wear the new baby until she's able to sit comfortably in the wagon.  At places like the grocery store I'll use the cart for DD1 and the Ergo for DD2. 

• Options

with that big of an age gap I wouldn't bother with a second crib or a double stroller. I think a sit and stand would work. If you really think you want the stroller the one I have would be perfect (can't think of the name of it but it is the new Graco double - not the duoglider)

mine are only 12 months apart (and 19 days LOL) but I am holding out on the crib til the last possible second.  Hanna is 4 months old and still in the Rock n Play.  I was going to try her in the PnP for naps soon and see how that goes.  I do not see Julia coming out of the crib anytime soon though so we will probably end up with a second crib.

Allison Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

My 2 are 18months apart.  We decided to move DD to a twin bed instead of buying a 2nd crib.  She does really well in it, but it has been a slow transition.  She will only go to sleep in the bed if we sit or lay with her.  She will not nap in it.  She is still napping in her crib.  However sometimes she stands up in her crib and puts her foot up on top of the rail, I think she's going to start climbing out soon.  My DS is sleeping in the rock-n-play which has a higher weight limit than our bassinet so we should be able to use it for awhile still.  If I were you I would hold off on making a decision.  You could use your pack-n-play longer if you don't use the bassinet.

With your kids age difference I would buy a sit and stand double.  My DD is already very resistant to getting in the stroller.  Most of the time I put DS in the stroller and she walks.  However there are times I need them both contained, like trips to the mall.  For those times you will still want a stroller.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I would make a lot of these decisions towards the end of your pregnancy.

If your first child is big, she may not be able to be in a crib anymore at 22-23 months. The height max on most cribs is around 35 inches, then it's recommended you convert to a toddler bed. If she tries to climb out, you'll want to make that move even earlier. Some kids are content to sleep in a crib and don't try to escape, so you may want to leave her in there. It's really dependent on the child and what you want to do really. My only advice would be if you plan on moving her to a toddler bed prior to make the switch around 6-8 weeks before baby comes so she's had some time to adjust to the new sleeping arrangement before baby comes.

In terms of doubles, again something that will vary on the kid. We retired the double before my son's 2nd birthday-he was just done with it. He walks around on his own and if it's somewhere where we'll be walking for 2+ hours, we just take breaks for him to have a snack/rest his legs and he's fine. We didn't really use it a whole lot even when my oldest needed the stroller since I would wear the baby a lot and push my oldest in the single. However, a friend of mine has a 4 year old and a 1.5 year old and still uses her double stroller so you may find use in a stroller. It really depends on the child.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

My 2 are just over 2 years apart so a little bit more of a gap.  I agree with the PPs that you should wait until your second is almost here or here on the stroller and crib.  They change so much between 15 months and 2 years!  I really wanted a fancy double stroller but once I focused on what my DD wanted I realized that she did not want to be strapped into a stroller and a double would have been a nightmare.  I got a sit and stand about a month after DS was born and it has worked really well.  DD loves being able to decide whether she sits or stands. We liked the baby trend more than the joovy as the sitter/stander seemed to have more room and of course the price!  We have had it for almost a year and really like it. We had a toddler bed given to us and we showed it to DD and talked about her new bed.  On the day we had her new room set up (about three weeks before DS arrived) we all hung out in it together and she asked to sleep in the bed.  We went with it and never looked back.  Transition went great. DD showed no signs of needing to leave the crib, we were just trying to avoid a second crib!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    DD born May 25, 2009. DS born June 16, 2011. BFP #3. 10/31/12 EDD July 8, 2013
  • Options

Yes, we will definitely wait to make the decision until its much closer but just wanted to get an idea from those of you who have been there!  So thank you, I appreciate all the help.

I have a friend who has the sit and stand and her older son jumps out of it while she's walking. She hates it and now wishes she had gotten a double lol.  So, that has me a little concerned about the sit n stand.  My DD is already climbing out of things so I have a feeling by the time she's closer to 2 she's going to still need to be strapped down if I need her to stay put for safety reasons.  

• Options

My first 2 are 19.5 months apart and I got a second crib, which ended up being a good choice.  DS1 didn't transition to a twin bed until 27 months.

I have the Phil & Ted's Vibe stroller and really like it for my 2.

• Options

Ours will be a little closer together (about 18.5 months), and this is what we did:

We did not get a 2nd crib.  Ended up transitioning DS to a bed at 15 months.  I had always planned to use the crib as a crib for every baby we have (we bought a convertible crib but didn't buy the converter kit & it was discontinued so I doubt it is available anymore anyway).  #2 is coming sooner than we would have planned, but we decided to try the big boy bed anyway & it's been a success.  I think it's been good that he was still too young to really be attached to his crib (even though he slept great in it)... there was very little "preparing" and talking to him to psyche him up for the change - we just did it.  He's also in a different room in the bed - the nursery is staying a nursery.

We are getting a double stroller - a double BOB, very lightly used from a friend, for about 2/3 retail price. It is my ILs' baby gift to us.  Walking is my main form of exercise, so we frequently go on 4 mile walks - way too long for my toddler to be able to walk, and also too long to wear a baby in my opinion.  DS was so big, it was hard to wear him comfortably, so I rarely did.  We'll see if I wear DD more, but I still can't see doing it for an hour-long brisk walk.  That's the main reason we need a stroller.  We don't really go to the zoo or other places like that, although it will be convenient if we ever do.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"