Baby Showers
Options

Just a little vent

So an old roommate and I got together a bit ago for lunch to catch up. She obviously noticed I was pregnant and asked if I was having a shower. I said yes, so and so is throwing it for me here in Lansing. She begged for an invite. I knew that my friend had already made ( she hand painted each invite and envelope) the invites but I was put on the spot so I said yes, sure. I called my friend, asked her if she had any extra invites or if she thought an evite would suffice. She said yes ( later I found out she painted another one!) and sent it out. Well lo and behold the only person not to rsvp is the old roommate. I know it is silly to be upset but my friend went out of her way to invite her. I called and in mid conversation asked if she was going to be able to make it to the shower. She said she changed her mind and didn't think she would enjoy the shower because girl things like that are not her style.

I know my vent is silly but has anyone else ever had someone beg to be invited but then decide later not to bother showing? 

Re: Just a little vent

• Options
    Looking over it, I think I was just upset because I felt like I gave my friend, the host, more to do on top of what she already has done for the shower.
  • Options
    How obnoxious and inconsiderate!  I had several people do that as well with my shower.  They asked for invites...wanted to bring their daughter...said they were going, etc... then the beggars didn't RSVP or just flat out flaked.  Needless to say, those "friends" have been written off...yes, over a stupid shower.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I did have one person I invited ask if she could bring her mother. Which is my bf's aunt, so I said yes. The odd thing about it is that I have NEVER met her and feel slightly weird that my shower will be the first time we meet. I should add that I did not feel that it was rude for her to ask if her mother could come.
  • Options
    what a biatch.
    Oct Angel Babies Lilypie Maternity tickers BFP #1- 12/7/11 M/C-12/20/11 BFP #2- 2/14/12 EDD- 10/3/12
  • Options
    Well you definitely have one very good, sweet friend... And the old roomie is rude. I hate when people fish for invites when they have no intention to show up....
    Callie photo Callie1.jpg
  • Options
    I would be totally ticked at her because your friend spent that time hand painting an invitation for her! That took time, material, and love! I guess the ex-roomie didn't really know that, but it was certainly silly of her to beg you to invite her, only to turn around and not even tell you she wouldn't be making it after the fact. Very inconsiderate.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

That happened to me. My friend wasn't going to be in town during the shower she was invited to and found out about the one my mom was hosting. She asked to be invited, which was no big deal to my mom. However, she never RSVP'd and didn't show. One person isn't a huge big deal but it was so bizarre and rude!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image
  • Options

Lurker here, but I had to say something because I think this is my biggest pet peeve.  I haven't had a shower yet but I invited three couples to my wedding (the women were all my co-workers) only because they had fished for invites and I knew if I didn't they would hold it against me.  Well, none of them RSVPed so I had to call each of them.  They all said they were coming which I assumed meant the spouses were coming too...since their names were on the invites.  Etiquette 101 here.

So two of them show up, one decided not to come the day of, and neither of them brought their spouses because they decided to "make it a girls' night".  Well great, but why didn't you tell me that before I payed for your husbands' dinners!?!  

I don't mind if someone has a legit excuse or emergency, but if you say you're going to come, then come!  And if you are rude enough to fish for an invite then at least try to make up for it by promptly sending an RSVP.  Geez.  

• Options
    She was definitely rude.  Too bad your hostess didn't go with your suggestion of an evite.  Would have saved time, money and probably been right up the old roommate's alley.
  • Options

I would be pretty annoyed. It's not just an inconvenience to you, it's really rude to the host! Maybe she figured out in the meantime that gifts are expected at showers.

My own vent: a friend of mine asked me to invite a relative of his who was in town for the weekend to our wedding. I had never met this relative, ever, and would have to pay for the extra head, but our budget wasn't tight, so I went ahead and planned for the relative to come. The night before, I happen to run into the friend and the relative, tell the relative I am glad she'll be able to celebrate with us, and that's when they tell me she's not actually coming.

Oh. That's nice.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

Had a friend of my MIL (who has always been rude to me) call THE NIGHT WE GOT ENGAGED asking for an invite to our wedding (rudely, of course).  I hadn't even had the chance to tell all of my immediate family.

Three days before the wedding she cancelled with no explanation.  We had such a small wedding that there were many people we could not invite (including some family).  The spots for her and her daughter could have been used by people we love, instead of left empty by people we barely tolerate.  What a B.

BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"