VBAC

Intro and a question (long)

So i've been a long time lurker and decided it's time to join the fun. My DH and I just decided to "go for it" this past month and boom, we're pregnant. :-)  This will be our second baby and to add to the excitement, our EDD is our DD birthday. 

I had to have a c-section with my DD due to her size. From Week 36-39 I got HUGE! At 39 weeks she was measuring at 11lbs already. She also had not dropped and I wasn't making any progress. My OB suggested a c-section as the safest route for baby and me. We went through with the c-section and although it's not the birth plan I wanted, we ended up with a healthy baby girl. :-) She ended up being 9lb 14oz (not 11!) and her head circumference was "off the charts". The doctor thinks that we may have ended up needing an emergency c-section if we would have waited for it to naturally happen anyways.

So fast-forward to now, my OB is completely on board with a VBAC. Her practice is very VBAC friendly and encourage it for most patients. She said we will plan for it, but if things look like they did with my DD we will probably want to think about a c-section again. Anyone have a similar situation? I hear 2nd babies are usually bigger than the first) and I'm scared I will not be able to have this experience. I really want to try for a VBAC. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFruit Ticker
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Intro and a question (long)

• First off, congrats! I got pregnant the second we started trying for number two, also. It's always a bit of a shock, huh?

Are you going to the same OB you had your DD with? I would ask her very specifically what would have to happen for you to be "allowed" to VBAC with her. Did you go into labor with your DD at all? Were you induced? Did you get to full dilation?

My VBAC story is this: I had a c/s for failure to descend with my first son. He was just over 8 lbs, never got past about +1 station, and was OP. I planned for a VBAC, went overdue and gave birth to a 10 lb 10 oz, 23.5 in baby - he was the size of a six-week-old (no one had any idea he was going to be *that* large).

Having a had a big baby shouldn't totally rule you out from planning for a VBAC.

I would make sure to be absolutely certain your OB is completely on board with a VBAC, as you don't want to get to 35+ weeks only to find out she won't support you after all. 

Good luck!!

DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• I am staying with the same OB. She was extremely supportive of it when I went in for a pap last month. I told we we were going to start TTC and asked what her opinion of me having a VBAC was. She said she would be very supportive to my decision and that will not schedule a c-section until I am ready to (or if there is a health concern). Unfortunately, I did not go into any kind of labor with DD. So yet another concern my mine. Thank you for the input and WAY TO GO on that awesome VBAC! It gives me hope!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFruit Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • My first was 8lb 10oz (c/s due to failure to wait) and my second was 6lb 10oz (home vbac).  I was bigger with my second and fully expected another 8 pounder.  Everyone was surprised at how small she was.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image
  • My first was 10 lbs, 2oz with a head WAY off the charts also, but they felt I could have delivered him just fine had he been in a different position.  Women also deliver larger babies than that.  So don't think you COULDN'T deliver a big baby just because your first doctor put that in your head.

My VBAC was 8 lbs, 5 oz.  Actually, I know more people who had a smaller baby the second time around than their first.  My mother had three babies- the first was the biggest, the last was the smallest.  I think it is just a toss up.  So, don't feel like the baby will be big just because it is the second baby.

I'd also suggest avoiding those ultrasounds because they are often inaccurate for size (as you know).  It will just make you nervous and may have them suggest a c/s again for no reason.

Otherwise, good luck!  I had a quick BFP with my VBAC baby so maybe it's a sign for a smooth pregnancy and delivery:-)

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers image image
  • My VBAC baby's head was off the charts too (still is!) but she still came out after only 45 minutes of pushing. (My c-section occurred because my first, who had a normal-sized head, would not come out after hours and hours of pushing. Still don't know why). Size alone is not a good reason for a c-section. Sometimes a big head can actually be good because the pressure of the baby's head makes the labor go quickly (did for me!)

Sometimes big babies run in families and/or just happen, but another thing to think about is trying to have a really good diet when you're pregnant -- not too much sugar or too many carbs. That might help keep the baby a good size. (Don't worry about this first trimester when you're sick, but after that). 

DD 2007 DD 2010 Expecting #3
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"