Food Allergy
Options

Elecare users or past users, please come in!

How long until you noticed an improvement in your LO's stools?  DS has been on it for 5 days (milk and soy allergies) and his stool is still green and mucousy.  He did have some blood in it last night.  He is also not back to eating all of his bottle yet. 

I called pedi today and she said it takes 7-10 days to really start to see an improvement.  Just curious what people's experiences were. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Elecare users or past users, please come in!

• Options
    we were neocate which is the same type of formula & it took about 10 days for the blood to disappear on that after 2 months of blood bf'ing & on alimentum
  • Options
    imageImanurse03:

How long until you noticed an improvement in your LO's stools?  DS has been on it for 5 days (milk and soy allergies) and his stool is still green and mucousy.  He did have some blood in it last night.  He is also not back to eating all of his bottle yet. 

I called pedi today and she said it takes 7-10 days to really start to see an improvement.  Just curious what people's experiences were. 

I heard, that it could take up to a month.

Is your LO keeping down Elecare?This is our 3rd day, but DD throws it up.I'm devastated because she seem to "like" it. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Thanks for your sharing your experiences!  I hadn't heard a month but wow!  I was EPing and so DS had gotten BM exclusively for about 4.5 months.  At that time, I started adding in a bit of Alimentum, but he was still mostly getting BM with dairy cut out of my diet. 

DS seems to like Elecare ok.  He does seem to spit up more with it, but I'm not sure if that's just coincidental.  He's on Prevacid, too, which is a new med for him.  My pedi said we could add like a teaspoon or so of flat 7-Up, Sierra Mist, or Sprite to the bottle to make it taste a little better.  I did that for a few days and that seemed to help. 

Good luck with your DD!  It is so hard to watch them suffering.  Where do you all get your formula?  Fortunately pedi and pedi GI have given us 6 cans of Elecare.  They said to check in with them when we need more to see if they can give us some more.  I hope this is the case!  But obviously we'll gladly buy it if we need to. 

• Options
    imageImanurse03:

Thanks for your sharing your experiences!  I hadn't heard a month but wow!  I was EPing and so DS had gotten BM exclusively for about 4.5 months.  At that time, I started adding in a bit of Alimentum, but he was still mostly getting BM with dairy cut out of my diet. 

DS seems to like Elecare ok.  He does seem to spit up more with it, but I'm not sure if that's just coincidental.  He's on Prevacid, too, which is a new med for him.  My pedi said we could add like a teaspoon or so of flat 7-Up, Sierra Mist, or Sprite to the bottle to make it taste a little better.  I did that for a few days and that seemed to help. 

Good luck with your DD!  It is so hard to watch them suffering.  Where do you all get your formula?  Fortunately pedi and pedi GI have given us 6 cans of Elecare.  They said to check in with them when we need more to see if they can give us some more.  I hope this is the case!  But obviously we'll gladly buy it if we need to. 

I think we are in similar situation.

DD is also on Prevacid, it's been working great.

I also EP on a diet free of gluten (for me), egg, nuts, soy and dairy.Shockingly, DD takes Elecare just fine, but not Ali or Nutramigen.I honestly think Elecare smells and tastes better than those 2.I started with mixing it with Elecare Jr Vanilla but by the 3rd bottle she took it without the vanilla.But it does not stay in her!I'm devastated.She just had bm for dinner, and she did not throw that up.But she was screaming for food, she was hungry.I was heart broken.

I bought Elecare here:

https://www.babywuvinc.com/

But only because they're in Brooklyn and I wanted a can right away.I do have a prescription, but I don't know if I can actually get it that way.That's nice, that you got some from your doctor...

• Options

DS's demeanor changed within 24 hours, but, it took about 3 weeks- a month for the poop to be clear of mucus. He still had some mucusy spots every-once-in-a-while but tested negative for blood. I've read the high fat content can cause a little mucus and there was no more blood so he's been fine. (I just wanted to add that because I panicked when I saw the mucus again. ;) 

He also has reflux and the pedi GI recommended adding rice cereal to the bottles and that has helped SO much. I'd ask your pedi, but we add 2 tbsp/ 6oz bottle. 

We also got our insurance to cover it- they send it to us monthly so make sure you call yours- it still expensive but affordable with the insurance.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"