Preemies
Options

When did your preemie walk?

Hi everyone-

I don't post often but I'm looking for some guidance/advice...

DS was born at 30w5d and just turned 13 months old. He has been crawling for three months and consistently pulling up/cruising for about 2 months now. He can walk on his own with a push toy walker  if we put it in front of him (?) but will sit down after a few steps and get mad. Its like he has no desire to walk....

How old was your preemie when they officially walked? And does anyone have any tips or advice on how to help motivate him to try and walk?

TIA!!!!! 

Re: When did your preemie walk?

• Options
    16 months actual in a week, 14 months adjusted and we are still waiting...any day now, she is close!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    C started walking at 12m adjusted/15m actual.  I've heard that putting a toy they can easily carry in the child's hand can help.  They think they are 'holding on' and feel more secure. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imagejacque_z:
    C started walking at 12m adjusted/15m actual.  I've heard that putting a toy they can easily carry in the child's hand can help.  They think they are 'holding on' and feel more secure. 

Yep!  My guy that's walking did a much better job when he had something in his hands.  

• Options
    My oldest start walking at 13months actual (12 months adjusted). I would put a toy or say a wooden spoon in LO hands while he is walking. My DD loved holding onto things, but once she got distracted she started to walk on her own too.

• Options
    We are 15 months actual now and shes standing on her own but only if she can pull up on something and shes cruising along furniture etc but no steps on her own and no standing up unassisted - hopefully soon though
    image image imageLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    He started cruising at 10.5 months but would not let go and walk on own for 6 Months!  He was 16.5 months and when he first walked he took 20 steps.  I swear he was ready for months (he was walking holding just one of my hands for a good 2-3 months but when I would let go he would sit immediately.  I thought my 29 weeker would never walk.  He never stood on own before he walked.  I do not think there is much you can do- they will do it when ready. 
  • Options
    BabyG_BabyG_ member
    17 months!  We were ecstatic when it finally happened and were definitely a little worried until it happened.  Her gross motor skills needed a lot of work.  Love my cutie pie.  :-)
  • Options
    Corri started walking a day shy of 14 months actual (11.5 months adjusted), which was also a day shy of her 1 year anniversary of being discharged from the NICU. 
  • Options
    JP just took his first steps on his own last night...  Three of them :) The only toy he would walk with over the last month or so is the "alphabet train".  He's just particular, I suppose?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"