2nd Trimester

HCG level question.

I'm 35 and have had a proper dating scan and have found out I'm actually 15 weeks pregnant. I have been told that my HCG levels are 2.5 or 2.6 but when I look online most places have different methods of what levels should be. 

For eg. 
3 weeks LMP: 5 - 50 mIU/ml
4 weeks LMP: 5 - 426 mIU/ml
5 weeks LMP: 18 - 7,340 mIU/ml
6 weeks LMP: 1,080 - 56,500 mIU/ml
7 - 8 weeks LMP: 7, 650 - 229,000 mIU/ml
9 - 12 weeks LMP: 25,700 - 288,000 mIU/ml
13 - 16 weeks LMP: 13,300 - 254,000 mIU/ml
17 - 24 weeks LMP: 4,060 - 165,400 mIU/ml
25 - 40 weeks LMP: 3,640 - 117,000 mIU/ml

So if the above is the correct method for the levels what would the 2.5 mean ? 
I should have asked my Doctor today when I was there but well you know. Baby brain :P 

Re: HCG level question.

• Maybe something was lost in translation?  From what I understand an HCG level of 2.5 would mean that you were not pregnant.  If you are able to have a positive pregnancy test it means your levels are at least 20 (depending on the sensitivity of the test).  They usually have to be above 1000 to see anything on ultrasound.

If you have had a recent check up and your baby is looking good, there must be some confusion with the numbers or I am also not getting it ;)

I wouldn't worry about my HCG levels if you are at the 15 week mark and your U/S looks good.  Most people just use them to ensure that they are doubling properly in the earlier stages of pregnancy.   

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Ye, Maybe I will just wait for the 25th heh. I have an amniocentesis booked for that day as the levels of the HCG were a little concerning to the Dr. Thanks though for your reply. :D 
  • Loading the player...
  • imageMandaAUS:
    Ye, Maybe I will just wait for the 25th heh. I have an amniocentesis booked for that day as the levels of the HCG were a little concerning to the Dr. Thanks though for your reply. :D 

Did you try the over 35 board?  They might have more knowledge about AMA terminology and procedures.  Good luck! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Maybe they're measuring in IUs instead of mIUs...so 2.5 would be 25,000?
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imageMandaAUS:
    Ye, Maybe I will just wait for the 25th heh. I have an amniocentesis booked for that day as the levels of the HCG were a little concerning to the Dr. Thanks though for your reply. :D 

Wow...that seems drastic to me. 

Anyway, if genetic testing is necessary, there is a new blood test available that does the same thing as an amnio with none of the risk (or discomfort). Perhaps ask about that?

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Does the dating scan include ultrasound?  If it does the HCG level isnt really necessary.  I didn't find out I was pregnant with DD until i was 15 weeks pregnant.  They initially thought I was only 5 weeks pregnant.  When they did the level test it came back that my HCG levels were low.  They thought I had lost her.  They sent me for an ultrasound and there she was 15 weeks along .. moving around and huge.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"