3rd Trimester

Has anyone else taken Pepto Bismol while pregnant?

For about a week now, I've had  diarrhea about twice a day (sorry if TMI!) It hasn't been horrible, just uncomfortable. I called my doctor on Tuesday, and she said I should take Pepto Bismol (she also suggested another typoe of medicince, but I can't remember what it was now). I was nervous to take any medicine while pregnant, so I waited another two days. When the problem continued, I double-checked the list of safe medications the doctor game me at the start of my pregnancy, and it said that Pepto Bismol was safe.  I bought the Pepto and took it three time since last night (once at about 9:30pm, once when I woke up again at 3:45am, and once this morning around 7:00am).

Anyway, after taking the Pepto I decided to do some of my own research online, and some of the things I found make me a little nervous.

Just wondering, have any of you taken Pepto Bismol during this or any other pregnancy?

Re: Has anyone else taken Pepto Bismol while pregnant?

• It was on my doctor's Do Not Take list.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Even though I haven't taken it, I know you aren't supposed to when your pregnant because it contains salicylates which is just like aspirin. If you've only taken it once I really wouldn't be too worried...just don't take anymore. Maybe call the doctor and see if there's something else they would recommend. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I took it once when I was desperate but I don't know if I should have or not.  I ended up throwing it up it was so gross anyways.
    BabyFetus Ticker

• imagemabenner1:
    It was on my doctor's Do Not Take list.

This. But agree with other poster if you called and asked then I would assume it would be okay.  

IMG_4833 IMG_0119 Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • No it isnt safe in pregnancy because it is basically a form of aspirin.

BFP#1 10 wk missed mc      

BFP#2 DS born at 40+2 on 8/14/12  BFP#3 DD Born at 39+3 on 5/13/14

• My Doctor told me after the first trimester it is perfectly fine to take it. But, ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS ask YOUR doctor. Some consider medicines ok while others don't want you taking it. It also depends on how your pregnancy is going and what kind of risk your pregnancy is. This is my first and has been a smooth pregnancy. 
  • I took Immodium a lot during my first pregnancy and it worked great for me.  As far as I know, Pepto is a no no.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers 
  • Nope, on my doctor's website it says in bold "do not use during pregnancy".

https://www.northlandobgyn.com/faqs/faq_ob/ob_q23.php 

Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Uggh...this is not making me feel better...

I called my doctor again just now, and she said again that Pepto Bismol was safe to take. Still, I'm seeing so many negative reviews here (and elsewhere) that I don't think I'll be taking it again. My doctor also recommended Imodium, if I don't want the Pepto (she said that Pepto, while safe, was gross) and told me to call again on Monday is the diarrhea hasn't gone away.

• I just hope that, if Pepto truly isn't safe, that I haven't caused any harm to the baby by taking three doses...
  • imageGreco1014:
    I just hope that, if Pepto truly isn't safe, that I haven't caused any harm to the baby by taking three doses...

I highly doubt three doses caused any serious damage. I do think it is a bit strange that she would say it was okay, but it is an OTC med so I wouldn't stress.

• I've only taken kaopectate or immodium as those were on my recommended list. Pepto was not.  The immodium chewables have been a lifesaver on the occasions when stomach issues strike at work.
  • The bottle I have in my medicine cabinet specifically says not to take it if you are pregnant.
  • Hi, I had a similar issue today actually. I took a tablet of pepto bismol. I am 23 Weeks pregnant. I was worried after finding out that Pepto is not safe so i called my clinic's emergency line. The Dr. on call said not to worry. The reason pepto isnt safe is the small dose of aspirin it contains. Aspirin is a blood thinner and can cause delivery issues. However it is not toxic to the baby and it does not cause birth defects. An occasional dose will not harm you or the baby. In fact, aspirin is used in moderation to treat a lot of pregnancy issues, but under dr. supervision. the only real reason he says that they even put it on the do not take list is because heartburn is a common problem during pregnancy and they dont want you to take it persistently. Hope that helps. :)
  • imageGreco1014:

For about a week now, I've had  diarrhea about twice a day (sorry if TMI!) It hasn't been horrible, just uncomfortable. I called my doctor on Tuesday, and she said I should take Pepto Bismol (she also suggested another typoe of medicince, but I can't remember what it was now). I was nervous to take any medicine while pregnant, so I waited another two days. When the problem continued, I double-checked the list of safe medications the doctor game me at the start of my pregnancy, and it said that Pepto Bismol was safe.  I bought the Pepto and took it three time since last night (once at about 9:30pm, once when I woke up again at 3:45am, and once this morning around 7:00am).

Anyway, after taking the Pepto I decided to do some of my own research online, and some of the things I found make me a little nervous.

Just wondering, have any of you taken Pepto Bismol during this or any other pregnancy?

I had a stomach flu that landed me in the hospital, and I thought about taking it until I read that it' s a category D drug during the third trimester. Not safe. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • brandiscorzabrandiscorza member
    edited August 2013
    Im not too sure but im 3months now and i was dessperate for comfort with my stomach an diarreah that i took 2 swigs of pepto, i was finally at eazzzzz, i could sleep and felt much better. Trust your doctor. No other person or doctor would know your story or pregnancy. If you dont feel sick and your body hasnt rejected it youll be fine. Usually after the first trimester you can take more things that are on a do not list, so I've been told. Many things you can take doctors just dont reccomend it.. you have to think ao many people dont even know that they are pregnant for the longest time and they dont watch what they intake and they are perfectly fine.. my mom took pepto and her doctor had her use mylanta for all 3 of her pregnancies!!!!! It works real well i use it now.. get cherry flavor :)
  • mben1119 said:
    It was on my doctor's Do Not Take list.
    This was not one of the medicines on the do not take list, so I've taken it a few times in moderation. I hate the taste of the stuff anyways. Try consulting with you doctor about what's safe to take.
    Angelbesdme
  • How about this - before you take ANY medication, CALL YOUR DOCTOR.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• How about this - before you take ANY medication, CALL YOUR DOCTOR.

Did you even read her post? She called her doctor before taking anything and her doctor is the one who told her to take it.

Lilypie Maternity tickers

<3 Mama to 2 girls - H&I <3
  • I took Pepto Bismol maybe 2-3 times when I was pregnant with DS2 because I had a stomach bug so bad I couldn't drink water for 24 hours.  He turned out perfectly fine!

My non-medical opinion is that taking it a handful of times isn't going to do major damage.

• If your doctor told you to take it, then I'm not sure why your questioning them?? They went to school, got the degree and make the money. If you don't trust your doctor, then switch, but your doctor isn't going to put you or you baby in harm.

DD#1~Emma Dawn 12/19/00 7lb 10 oz 21"
    DD#2~Daphney Mae 04/17/03 7lb 13oz 21"
    DD#3~Grace Deonea 05/20/10 8lb 2oz 21"
        DS#1~Brody Maxwell born 10/16/13 8lb 10oz 21"

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"