Preemies

Progesterone injections to prevent early baby

DD was 4 weeks early (water broke).

I had my 6 week appointment and my midwife said that next time they will have me do progesterone injections weekly from about 16-37 weeks.  They will also monitor my cervix length.  I am glad they are being proactive, I just didn't know they would do anything at all.

Is this a common practice?  We won't be TTC for at least a year, but I am interested in learning about this so I am informed for next time.

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Progesterone injections to prevent early baby

• I didn't have issues with PTL so, I don't have experience but I do work in an OB/GYN office. The progesterone injections (also called p17) are definitely common practice. Sometimes they do progesterone suppositories (vaginally) but the most common are the injections. Most women who experienced PTL in the first pregnancy go on to have full term pregnancies later on the progesterone, so it's great your doctors are being proactive and there's a semi-solution to your pre-term labor! :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Yes, that's common to do progesterone shots for the second pregnancy. For my second I was being monitored very closely, although I never had cervix checks. I had pre-e with my first and my water also broke. I was being monitored weekly for blood pressure too.

• Loading the player...
  • KatFCoKatFCo member

Yes, it's quite common. You can get more info from the high-risk pregnancy forum. The brand is called Makena, but the more common name is 17p, or progesterone. After having my first child 16 weeks early, I was put on the shots this last pregnancy and had several cervical checks, and my son was born full-term 7 weeks ago.

The purpose of the checks is to see if you are starting to dilate. If you do, they may put you on bed rest or modified bed rest. I was put on what I call "take it easy" rest, which included pelvic rest and no heavy lifting.

When you decide to TTC, talk to your dr or midwife about what they will do and what you can expect.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • hmmshmms member

DS was born at 35 weeks 3 days for unknown reasons.  During my 2nd pregnancy, I began the progesterone injections at 16 weeks until 36 weeks, DD was born at exactly 39 weeks.  My cervical length was also monitored/measured for thinning/dilation.  I went every Thursday for my injection (I think some people give them to themselves).

GL!

Lilypie - (vulX)

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

• I was counting on this for my 2nd pregnancy, but then I was told there's no research that it helps with twins. Needless to say, I didn't get them.

My friend had a 30 weeker and was give the p17 shots for her next pregnancy. She just gave birth to DS2 last week at 40 weeks.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"