Health & Exercise
Options

Personal Motivation

I've always had issues with being able to motivate myself to do things. Especially when it comes to exercise and healthy living. It's sad but its entirely too easy for me to say "I'm going to start this routine" and then never do it I've even bought a prenatal yoga/stretching/exercise DVD set...but...I'm always quick to find excuses not to do it. And when it comes to exercise few people actually question me on it because I'm naturally thin but I know all to well that thin doesn't exactly mean fit or healthy. Do I argue this point with anyone but myself? No.

I know all of this. I recognize my problems here. But I've yet to do anything about it simply because I seriously struggle with motivating myself and I hate it. I don't know how to change it either.

Has/does anyone else struggle with this? How did/do you work around it? Any advice?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Personal Motivation

• Options

I struggled with this for years. I'm very very slim from genetics- I don't think I worked out until college and even that wasn't in an effort to have to lose weight. I would so much rather lay on the couch and eat cupcakes, and I figured- hey, if I won't gain weight, why not? One day I was walking up the stairs at work with a coworker who was 40 and overweight. I had to stop and take a breath and he was totally fine. It was then I realized that just because I didn't look unhealthy on the outside, didn't mean I was healthy inside.

I started researching what a sedentary lifestyle and bad diet do to your body (a lot of these are based on obesity, but the logic is that food affects your body the same way, even if you have the added weight). That scared me into making sure I was eating fruits and vegetables and getting some exercise. I started slow- one fruit and one veggie a day. I'd find something I could tolerate and eat it everyday. I would take my dogs for a long walk instead of a short one.

Eventually I started getting interested in exercise and tried running. Now, I'm training for a triathlon. The exercise and diet for me really tie in with each other. I want to eat healthy because it makes me feel better when I work out. I work out because I ate healthy all day and I want to get the benefits of that at the gym.

Sorry this got so long, but I hope it helps! You're definitely not alone. I highly recommend doing some research on how diet and exercise affect your body (a couple good movies: Food, Inc; Forks over Knifes; Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead). It should help get you motivated! 

Me:27, DH:28 - DX: MFI, varicocele repair Nov 2011 
    Post-Op SA: Count- 15 million, Motility- 75%, Morphology- 3% 
    IVF with ICSI - Stimming 10/4/12 - 10/13/12, Lupron Trigger
    ER 10/18/1212 eggs retrieved, 8 mature, 5 fertilized
    5 day transfer 10/23/12, 3 frosties
    Beta #1 11/5/12: 453, Beta #2 11/7/12: 1,013, DD born 7/19/13
  • Options

I am the exact same way! It's hard when you are doing it alone.... it's always good to find a buddy to help motivate you. I haven't found that right person yet, so I do great for a few days and thenI loose interest and can't get motivated again. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"