Breastfeeding
Options

Spit up with brown stuff - gross!

First, yes I have called the pediatrician's office.  :)

DS just spat up a little, the first time all day in fact, and in addition to the normal white mucousy stuff, was a splotch of brownish crap along with it.  I didn't think much of it, but a few minutes later, he spat up more with the brown stuff again.  My first thought is OH NO is this blood??

The pedi said to monitor him and if it happens 3 or more times to make an appointment.  Has anyone had this happen to their LO before or have an idea what it could be? 

He's EBF, no colored meds or supplements.  

Thanks!  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Spit up with brown stuff - gross!

• Options

No iron drops?  Like that poly-vi-sol stuff?

My first thought would have been blood too.  No bleeding nips? 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Check your nipples. Do you have any cracks? If you try hand expressing, do any drops of blood come out? I had "rusty pipes" after delivering both my LO's. Blood came out with my colostrum for a couple days. If they spit up, it was brown. You wouldn't develop rusty pipes now, but you might have some nipple trauma. I'd also check his mouth for any cuts (like from his fingernails if he chews on his hands).
    someecardscom - Im well on my way to getting absolutely nothing done today
    DD1: allergic to eggs & dairy Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    c/p 4/1/11

DD2: milk and soy protein intolerant, allergic to eggs, soy, peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, bananasBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    MSPI Moms Check-In Blog
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks for helping me take on this mystery. No iron drops, no cracked nipples, no cuts in his mouth. He spat up more since my post. One more time and it's off to the dr. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

Are your nipples even sore at all?  You'd be surprised what a little bit of blood can look like. I'm willing to bet it is your own blood.

ETA: And yes, this happened with my DD and I freaked out. I had sore nipples but they weren't really cracked yet. Then they were, then I had mastitis, then I had thrush.  I was the one who needed a doctor, not LO! 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Options
    This happened to me too and it was my nipples. I couldn't get blood to come out when I squeezed them, but his suction was so much more powerful that he obviously could. I knew they were cracked because of the pain and because running clear water over them stung. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"