Military Families
Options

Tell me about DITY's and Partial-DITY moves

We may be moving in October...but I won't know until September. Awesome right?  That being said, because it's so last minute, I really want to try a DITY move because the last few the military did and they really sucked.  I don't know where to start.  I need every imaginable detail...GO! =)

TIA

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Tell me about DITY's and Partial-DITY moves

• Options

We did a full dity move across country twice. The service member has to fill paperwork out in the finance and travel offices or transportation in order to proceed with a dity. Once out processing begins you will be directed on where to go.

We just rented a moving truck, packed and loaded and drove to our new duty station. You will be given a DLA which I suggest getting in advanced BUT ONLY THE DLA. We used that to cover the expenses for the truck, gas, and lodging during our move. You want to be sure to get weigh tickets for any vehicle that will be holding household goods. Both empty weigh tickets and full, you will need to turn those in when you do your paperwork at the gaining unit. Be sure to hold on to ALL receipts for the move. You will be instructed on whats next once you get to your new location and file the.

You will be reimbursed for the mileage on your vehicle as well as a per pound allotment. You will also receive per Diem for the amount of time they allow for the move or less depending on when you arrive.

This is for AMRY, not sure if different branches operate differently 

• Options
    Yes, you can pocket a little extra with DITY moves but, that being said, it's way more stress. I moved from Texas to NC and it was just one problem after another! I hate moving anyway, so that could be part of my angst but seriously, anything that could go wrong did and in the end I knew next time I wouldn't do another DITY move despite the money because it wasn't worth the stress. But, that could just be my terrible luck. I've never done a partial DITY so I'm not quite sure how those work.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    NSLNSL member

DITY with a toddler?  That sounds like actual, certifiable insanity to me.  

Do a partial DITY.  That way you can keep important things with you, and let the movers handle the big stuff.  Trust me, you will have MANY more important things to do rather than packing, loading, and transporting everything yourselves.

• Options
    imageNSL:

Do a partial DITY.  That way you can keep important things with you, and let the movers handle the big stuff.  Trust me, you will have MANY more important things to do rather than packing, loading, and transporting everything yourselves.

What exactly is a partial DITY and what do I move?  How do I go about doing the paperwork and stuff for it?  And do I still pack everything?

• Options

imagehansonam446:
    Yes, you can pocket a little extra with DITY moves but, that being said, it's way more stress. I moved from Texas to NC and it was just one problem after another! I hate moving anyway, so that could be part of my angst but seriously, anything that could go wrong did and in the end I knew next time I wouldn't do another DITY move despite the money because it wasn't worth the stress. But, that could just be my terrible luck. I've never done a partial DITY so I'm not quite sure how those work.

I LOVE moving...seriously I do.  I was made to be a military wife lol

• Options
    NSLNSL member
    imageimurs8228:
    imageNSL:

What exactly is a partial DITY and what do I move?  How do I go about doing the paperwork and stuff for it?  And do I still pack everything?

Partial DITY is exactly what it sounds like.  You move some of your belongings yourself, the rest is packed and moved by the contracting company.  Your H will get a briefing on your options from transportation once you have orders, but a simple Google search will likely be just as helpful for you. 

• Options
    imageimurs8228:

imagehansonam446:

I LOVE moving...seriously I do.  I was made to be a military wife lol

More power to you! Maybe you can come help us move when my hubby gets out of the army lol 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

We always do a partial DITY when we move to help cover all the things the moving company won't pack and transport such as candles, personal documents (obviously our choice), cleaning supplies, etc in addition to the things we want to have with us before our goods are delivered. We usually use my husband's vehicle as the cargo vehicle and the kids and animals go in mine.   

You apply for the partial DITY through transportation (TMO).  Beyond paperwork it involves having vehicles weighed empty, you packing it and then weighing after its packed. Pretty simple. 

• Options
    We've always done DITY moves because I find it less stressful than having someone in my house doing something different than I would. I like being in control of the move. We have done it during infant, toddler, and preschool ages. We never ask for help, so it is always just DH and I doing it. It is doable.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

Everyone (at least everyone who is educated) does a partial DITY technically.  Because everything you move yourself, even if it is a few suitcases of your clothes and your important paper documents, counts toward "DITY". 

Eg:  We did the typical military move with packers and a contracted company, but my DH drove various important documents, some clothing, the pets, etc.  He weighed the car empty and then full and then submitted that alone with mileage and gas reciepts.  That counted as "DITY".

Your husband should be given all of this information.  Let him handle the details.

Married 6/28/03

Kate ~ 7/3/09 *** Connor ~ 11/11/10

4 miscarriages: 2007, 2009, 2013, 2014

*~*~*~*~*

No more TTC for us. We are done, and at peace, as a family of 4.

"Suffering has been stronger than all other teaching, and has taught me to understand what your heart used to be. I have been bent and broken, but – I hope – into a better shape.” — Charles Dickens

• Options

imageLissa832:
    We've always done DITY moves because I find it less stressful than having someone in my house doing something different than I would. I like being in control of the move. We have done it during infant, toddler, and preschool ages. We never ask for help, so it is always just DH and I doing it. It is doable.
    Yes

Also, it is awesome to hire movers to pack and unpack the truck. I found that part the most taxing, and for less than $300 we had someone else do the heavy lifting.

love angel Pictures, Images and Photos Thorns and stings And those such things Just make stronger Our angel wings. ~Terri Guillemets
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"