Special Needs

Issues with I&T therapist, what to do?

DD has mosaic Down syndrome and gets PT, OT and SI through I&T. For the most part, her therapists are great, however, I don't think her OT is helping her at all. :( 

She seems to do the minimum and is always late. I just don't think she is invested in her job and it shows. She is a very nice person, but I just don't feel like she is a good OT for DD.  I don't think that switching is possible because there are only 2 OTs and the other one is booked up and we didn't have a great impression of Her when she was here for a few visits. I just don't know what to do for my DD.  her service coordinator is new and isn't very helpful so I just feel stuck and sad. I want to get the most out of OT but I feel like it is a waste of time.  

I did call and get a referral from Kennedy Kreiger for an OT eval, so I'm excited about that. I'm hoping that will help me determine what DD needs and I can go from there.  

Sorry this is so long, but sometimes I just feel lost and scared and am worried I am failing my DD.  Any thoughts or suggestions?

Nothing to see here....

Re: Issues with I&T therapist, what to do?

• Find out who her boss is and tell them that she's perpetually late. Who schedules your dd's appointments? Maybe ask the therapist if you're keeping her from something. Then suggest maybe a different time would be better for all of you. Be firm. Let her know that your time is valuable and you expect her to show up on time and if she doesn't you'll find someone else who cares more about your dd.

On a side note, I'm glad you got that referral for an OT eval. Make sure you ask them what you can do at home to help your dd in that area. OT is a lot about functioning in their daily environment. GL! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I could have written this post about our OT. I ended up "post-poning" services. The time and energy I was putting into it vs. what we were getting out of it was totally not worth it. (it was mainly for feeding) I have tried asking I&T for another OT and our SC basically said that we would probably end up getting the same one again.....um No thanks

We have picked up OT privately through KKI (more for fine motor stuff) and we also so had a great OT(for feeding) at the Fairmont School (KKI) who works in the STP (Specialized Transition Program or also known as FIT Focused Intensive Therapy). Nate did a 4 week long program there that focused on walking and eating. There is also a name of a lady I was given from the therapists at STP who is someone they recommended to me for Nate. They also gave me a tip about how to get KKI therapists though Infants and Toddlers.....

You are not failing your DD! Not all therapists are a good fit. It is much better that you know what is and isn't working and move on. You are doing something about it instead of just slugging along. The situation is making you feel half-azzed because it is, not you. :)

PM me if you want more information.....(I live in Baltimore City)

WAY 2 Cool 4 School

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"