Houston Babies
Options

Finally healing from loss

My first pregnancy and visit in New Orleans to Obgyn was when I was almost 8 weeks, she only examined me but never did an ultrasoud .  Eventhough I went to 3 other appointments and she could never find the heartbeat and didn?t do an ultrasound, she assured me everything was fine. I moved to Houston when i was almost 14 weeks and went to my appt. with a new Dr. who on my first visit did an ultrasound and informed me the fetus had been dead since week 7 or 8!! So basically, I was walking around with a dead fetus for over 6 weeks.  After my surgery to remove the fetus, my husband called Nola Dr. and she told him she  doesn't perform ultrasounds until 12 weeks. Is this normal procedure?

Re: Finally healing from loss

• Options

I'm sorry for your loss.  

Both the doctors I have been to around here do ultrasounds at 8/10 weeks.  However, I do believe it is common practice for some doctors to not do early ultrasounds.  

Did she actually try to hear the heartbeat with the doppler?   If she tried and didn't find it, I do find that strange that she didn't do an ultrasound afterwards.  

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers image image image
  • Options
    So sorry to hear this. I had an ultrasound done at my first appointment. They did make me wait a little bit for my first appointment. My doctor likes to see patients at 8/9 weeks. I would think if they couldnt hear a heartbeat that would have made her do an ultrasound if she doesnt do them early. The babies are so small at that time its hard to hear on a dopplar so i would assume that is why they do the internal ultrasound.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

She used the doppler on my firt visit when I was 8 weeks, she said it's normal not to hear the heartbeat that early so she disn't do an ultrasound.  On the 2nd visit, when I was 11 weeks same thing.  On the third visit she tried the doppler again and at that point she wanted to schedule me for a ultrasound the following week.  

Thank you for your reply, i appreciate your empathy.  

• Options
    I'm so very sorry for your loss. My old OB didn't do an u/s until 8 weeks. My current dr will do one sooner on a case by case basis. I think it's common to not do too many u/s unless you're high risk. However, the doppler has been utilized since day 1 and a heart beat was always present--- with, of course, the exception of a miscarriage I had between my kiddos. I'm so sorry you had to find out after the fact. I hope you are on the road to healing mentally and physically. Best wishes to you
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"