**HELP**Can I refuse a c-section? what can they do? — The Bump
VBAC

**HELP**Can I refuse a c-section? what can they do?

Today I have my 38 week appt and an u/s to check babies weight and position.. They are pretty positive she is head down but said if she is considered a 'big baby' they want to schedule a c-section at 39 weeks.. I honestly don't feel that a 'big baby' is the reason I couldn't have my baby vaginally last time... women push out big babies all the time.. I really want to say NO ... but can I ? What will they say to me if I refuse? Can they release me from their care ? ( that's the last thing I really want )

Also if i go past my due date by a certain amt of days they refuse to induce me and its an automatic c-section ( My first DD came right one time )

 Thoughts?

image

image 
4-7-11 - Natural MC @ 4w5d 
6-27-11- MC @ 5w6dPgAL/PAL Welcome
DD#1- 8/20/2010
DD#2- 6/21/2012
EDD #3~ 5/1/2014 ~ Team Green
BabyFetus Ticker

Re: **HELP**Can I refuse a c-section? what can they do?

  • Jen524Jen524
    Ninth Anniversary 250 Love Its 500 Comments Photogenic
    member

    Yes you can say no.  You can decline any kind of medical procedures.  I would not have a c-section based on a size estimate on an ultrasound.  Those can be off by nearly two pounds at that late in the game.

    I would at least push to go to 41 weeks before even talking RCS.  If not 42 weeks if you feel comfortable.  Sounds like your provider is not as supportive of VBAC as they could be.

    Good luck.

    BFP #1 7/1/2009 ~ EDD 3/9/2010 ~ Ella Adeline (7lbs 4 oz, 19.5 inches) 3/5/2010 csection (39w3d)
    BFP #2 7/13/2011 ~ EDD 3/16/2012 ~Aubree Olivia (9lbs 1oz, 21 inches) 3/15/2012 VBAC (39w6d)
    BFP #3 5/15/2014 ~ EDD 1/16/2015~Addison Isabelle (9lbs, 0oz, 21 inches) 1/25/2015 2VBAC (41w2d)
    BFP #4 7/20/2016 ~ EDD 3/25/2017 ~ Malachi Mathew (10lbs 0oz, 22 inches) 4/4/2017 emergency csection (41w3d)


  • Yes, you can refuse.  I don't believe they can release you from care (or they have to give you 30 days to find a new provider, which would be a moot point for you).  I'd try to talk to them more before making a hostile situation.  Growth ultrasounds are notoriously incorrect that late in the game.  I would refuse to have it done all together.

    I changed providers because my first provider told me they'd likely section me at 39 weeks.  DD ultimately came at over 41 weeks.  I can't imagine having forced her out two weeks early just because the doctor was done then- she wasn't done cooking! 

    But be prepared for your doctor to come up with another reason for the c/s if you refuse based on size (low amniotic levels, etc).  Sounds like that doctor had no intention of allowing a VBAC.

    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers image image
  • Loading the player...
  • I hate the "big baby" excuse. As others have said ultrasounds can be way off. Plus it's common for women to have a bigger baby the second time and still get a VBAC. I did -- as I have mentioned here a few times my VBAC was with a baby with a head in the 90th percentile (her C-section sister had a 50th percentile head).

    You can't be induced for a VBAC, but you can safely wait until at least 41 weeks, maybe even 41 1/2, before a RCS is advised. So yes, turn it down -- but say "sure, schedule one for 41 weeks (or 41 1/2) and hopefully I will go into labor before that." I can't see how they can argue with that.

    DD 2007 DD 2010 Expecting #3
  • Yeah, you can say "no."  You have a right to try VBAC as long as it's not extra risky for the baby.  But sometimes babies do have problems descending when they're bigger babies, and if that happens during labor, you won't have a choice then.  That's what happened to me.  Why was it a C-section for you, btw, if you don't mind my asking?  Every labor experience is different, though. and you never know.  Hope it works out the way you hope!  :-)
    Sarah





    [url=http://www.thebump.com/?utm_source=ticker&utm_medium=UBB&utm_campaign=tickers][img]http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tt144ce1.aspx[/img][/url]
  • image Seabiscut3:

    I hate the "big baby" excuse. As others have said ultrasounds can be way off. Plus it's common for women to have a bigger baby the second time and still get a VBAC. I did -- as I have mentioned here a few times my VBAC was with a baby with a head in the 90th percentile (her C-section sister had a 50th percentile head).

    You can't be induced for a VBAC, but you can safely wait until at least 41 weeks, maybe even 41 1/2, before a RCS is advised. So yes, turn it down -- but say "sure, schedule one for 41 weeks (or 41 1/2) and hopefully I will go into labor before that." I can't see how they can argue with that.

    You can be induced with a VBAC.  If you look on our blog, there are a bunch of successful VBAC induction stories.  The blog is vbacbumpies.blogspot.com :) 

    image

    Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

    Pregnancy Ticker
  • image FishNchips1:

    Today I have my 38 week appt and an u/s to check babies weight and position.. They are pretty positive she is head down but said if she is considered a 'big baby' they want to schedule a c-section at 39 weeks.. I honestly don't feel that a 'big baby' is the reason I couldn't have my baby vaginally last time... women push out big babies all the time.. I really want to say NO ... but can I ? What will they say to me if I refuse? Can they release me from their care ? ( that's the last thing I really want )

    Also if i go past my due date by a certain amt of days they refuse to induce me and its an automatic c-section ( My first DD came right one time )

     Thoughts?

    Not sure if you have already had your appt, but what about refusing the ultrasound?  Anyway YES you can refuse a c/s.  They cannot force you to have one without a court order (and FTR, ACOG opposes court-ordered cesareans) and the hospital cannot refuse you care during labor.  If they did, it would be a violation of federal law.  GL!

    image

    Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

    Pregnancy Ticker
  • You are right about induction -- I should have said it's better if you're not induced, not that you can't be induced.

    When I did it in 2010 my OB said you can't be induced, but in the two years since I think a lot of OBs have relaxed on that, especially if you are diliated enough. My understanding is that induction (with prostaglandins or pitocin) does significantly increase the risk of rupture. Still a very low rate, but 4 times or so higher than spontaneous labor. 

    DD 2007 DD 2010 Expecting #3
  • image Seabiscut3:

    You are right about induction -- I should have said it's better if you're not induced, not that you can't be induced.

    When I did it in 2010 my OB said you can't be induced, but in the two years since I think a lot of OBs have relaxed on that, especially if you are diliated enough. My understanding is that induction (with prostaglandins or pitocin) does significantly increase the risk of rupture. Still a very low rate, but 4 times or so higher than spontaneous labor. 

    Prostaglandins (like Cervadil) significantly increase rupture rates.  Pitocin increases it very slightly (not enough to be a significant difference than a regular VBAC).  But at that point you are monitored in the hospital.  Just wanted to clarify that:-)

    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers image image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards