Health & Exercise

paleo diet anyone?

So I have been on the paleo diet for 3weeks and I really love it. Lost 9lbs. Anyways, just wondering if anyone else is on it and knows so good paleo friendly dishes to make?

Thanks!

image Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: paleo diet anyone?

• kjc03kjc03 member
    nomnompaleo.com
  • Robi1Robi1 member

imagekjc03:
    nomnompaleo.com

This!

I have been doing Paleo/Primal for about four months now, and my husband's been doing it for several years! I love it. I'm curious if anyone out there has done paleo through pregnancy or with their children from birth?  

#1 7/2013
    #2 3/2015
    #3 3/2017
    #4 10/2019
  • Loading the player...
  • imageRobi1:

I have been doing Paleo/Primal for about four months now, and my husband's been doing it for several years! I love it. I'm curious if anyone out there has done paleo through pregnancy or with their children from birth?  

I have.  Do you have any questions?

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My favorite websites:

PaleOMG, Elana's Pantry, Everyday Paleo, Balanced Bites

Family Favorites:

coconut waffles, puerto rican beef , meatza pizza (can easily be done different ways),  five spice stir fry

• I do Primal (basically Paleo + dairy), not for weight-loss, just because I think it's the healthiest way to eat.

Many things can easily be turned paleo/primal. Use zucchini strips instead of noodles, skip breading on things or use crushed nuts instead of breadcrumbs, etc. 

I love Mark Sission's cookbook: The Primal Blueprint Cookbook

And https://everydaypaleo.com/ is great for easy quick meals.

I also have a lot of paleo/primal friendly recipes (or ones that can be easily converted to be such) pinned on my Pinterest: https://pinterest.com/abbyful/nom-nom-nom/ 

Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imageRobi1:

I have been mostly Primal thoughout my pregnancy. (I've fallen off the wagon a few times, when I'm been too tired to cook so we've gone to restaurants more often and I've "cheated" more. But the majority of my diet has been Primal.)

I've had a very easy pregnancy. No nausea/vomiting, no food cravings or adversions; I've felt pretty much normal the entire time. I could just be lucky, but I really do think that eating mostly primal had a helping hand too.

We plan to feed baby mostly primally too. We're going to skip the rice cereal, baby's first solid food will probably be avocado.

Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker

• imageabbyful:

imageRobi1:

I have been mostly Primal thoughout my pregnancy. (I've fallen off the wagon a few times, when I'm been too tired to cook so we've gone to restaurants more often and I've "cheated" more. But the majority of my diet has been Primal.)

I've had a very easy pregnancy. No nausea/vomiting, no food cravings or adversions; I've felt pretty much normal the entire time. I could just be lucky, but I really do think that eating mostly primal had a helping hand too.

We plan to feed baby mostly primally too. We're going to skip the rice cereal, baby's first solid food will probably be avocado.

This was all me too.  We went Primal about 3 years ago and we started Crossfit then too.  I stayed pretty true during my PG working out and eating right and had a really easy pg, delivery & recovery with just baby weight gain that I shed quickly after.  I had a little meat-aversion early in first tri, but after that was right back on track. Now I only wish I had more time to Crossfit, but balancing work & family doesn't leave much free time.  But I stuck to Primal, and I still feel super confident about busting out the bikini for our beach vacation this summer! Big Smile

DD's first food was avocado too!  She also just ate home pureed vegs & fruits (takes no time to make).  She eats what we do now, and if I don't like what DC will serve, I send replacement food those meals (ie, most breakfasts at school are carby). 

Mark's Daily Apple is also my fave site for references. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Robi1Robi1 member
    imagejulie1408:
    imageRobi1:

I have.  Do you have any questions?

I'm curious about general observations. I've read a lot saying that primal makes for an easier pregnancy, and was just wondering whether anyone noticed differences. Since I went Primal, I've had very little trouble staying with it (I occasionally have cake/cookies/dessert of some sort at special events, but this has been my only vice!)  so I don't think I'll have trouble keeping it up through pregnancy.

Did you supplement with anything during pregnancy (prenatal vitamins? fish oil? dairy/yogurt?)

If you feed your kids primally, has it been difficult to keep non-primal foods away from them? We don't have them in the house, so that won't be a problem but I worry about going out, being around other people at events, etc. Also as far as kids - if you've been feeding them mostly primally, but they eat something non-primal for the first time, do they like it? I ask this because now that I don't eat wheat or processed sugar, they tend to make me feel sick, and I wonder if that would affect kids?

#1 7/2013
    #2 3/2015
    #3 3/2017
    #4 10/2019
  • Robi1Robi1 member
    imageemmabug727:
    imageabbyful:

imageRobi1:

This was all me too.  We went Primal about 3 years ago and we started Crossfit then too.  I stayed pretty true during my PG working out and eating right and had a really easy pg, delivery & recovery with just baby weight gain that I shed quickly after.  I had a little meat-aversion early in first tri, but after that was right back on track. Now I only wish I had more time to Crossfit, but balancing work & family doesn't leave much free time.  But I stuck to Primal, and I still feel super confident about busting out the bikini for our beach vacation this summer! Big Smile

DD's first food was avocado too!  She also just ate home pureed vegs & fruits (takes no time to make).  She eats what we do now, and if I don't like what DC will serve, I send replacement food those meals (ie, most breakfasts at school are carby). 

Mark's Daily Apple is also my fave site for references. 

Great to hear that you're feeling confidant about your body! I have definitely heard that Primal & Crossfit make for an easy bounce-back for your body. My husband does Crossfit as well, but I haven't been able to get into it - I love my Bikram yoga too much! I'm very curious to see how I do with Primal & Bikram through pregnancy. Everyone I know looks at me like I'm crazy if I mention either one... 

#1 7/2013
    #2 3/2015
    #3 3/2017
    #4 10/2019
  • imageRobi1:
    I'm curious about general observations. I've read a lot saying that primal makes for an easier pregnancy, and was just wondering whether anyone noticed differences. Since I went Primal, I've had very little trouble staying with it (I occasionally have cake/cookies/dessert of some sort at special events, but this has been my only vice!)  so I don't think I'll have trouble keeping it up through pregnancy.

One thing I've done is increase my carbs during pregnancy, which a lot of the paleo/primal gurus recommend. More fruit, more potatoes and yams, more allowances of rice & quinoa. (Yes, I know rice & quinoa technically aren't primal, but they are typically considered a "safe cheat".) 

imageRobi1:
    Did you supplement with anything during pregnancy (prenatal vitamins? fish oil? dairy/yogurt?)

My pregnancy supplements:

- prenatal vitamin (New Chapter Perfect Prenatal)

- fish oil (Nordic Naturals Prenatal DHA) & krill oil

- vitamin D 

- iron (because I was told I was slightly anemic after a blood draw) 

- alfalfa (just started this in my 3rd trimester, it's supposed to help with bleeding after delivery and with milk supply)

I don't consider dairy/yogurt a "supplement" since it's allowed in the Primal Blueprint. I do eat more of it now though. Most of the time a cup of organic full-fat yogurt is part of my breakfast, and I'll have cheese for a snack several times a week. 

imageRobi1:
    If you feed your kids primally, has it been difficult to keep non-primal foods away from them? We don't have them in the house, so that won't be a problem but I worry about going out, being around other people at events, etc. Also as far as kids - if you've been feeding them mostly primally, but they eat something non-primal for the first time, do they like it? I ask this because now that I don't eat wheat or processed sugar, they tend to make me feel sick, and I wonder if that would affect kids?

The baby I'm pregnant with is my first kid, but I'm anticipating this will be a "pick my battles" topic. I'm not overly concerned about keeping my kids primal 100% of the time. DH & I cheat at family get-togethers and sometimes at restaurants, but everything we eat at home is primal. We aim for at 80% primal eating. That's the plan for our kid(s) too. I'm not going to expect them to turn down cake at a friend's birthday party or anything like that!

I think the most important thing is teaching them that certain things are only meant to be occasional treats, not eaten every day. 

Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker

• I'm curious about general observations. I've read a lot saying that primal makes for an easier pregnancy, and was just wondering whether anyone noticed differences.  My first pregnancy I was not eating primal (I went paleo/primal 3 months after).  I had awful morning sickness, bad heartburn, and gain 45 pounds--which was a lot for someone only 5 feet tall.  Second pregnancy, I still had horrible M/S and was tired the first trimester.  But the 2nd and 3rd trimesters were great.  I only gained 20-25 pounds, felt great.  I had a very easy delivery (my first was induced so I can't really compare them) and my recovery was so much easier/faster.  I was back to pregnancy weight in 6 weeks and despite being up with a newborn at night, had plenty of energy.

Did you supplement with anything during pregnancy (prenatal vitamins? fish oil? dairy/yogurt?)  I took prenatals and some fish oil.  I actually got some really expensive vegan DHA, made from algae to avoid mercury.  I smell of any oil cooking (even olive oil) made me feel sick so I only cooked with butter.  If I felt like cheese or yogurt I had some.

If you feed your kids primally, has it been difficult to keep non-primal foods away from them? When they are little, it is easy.  Except for family members that want to give them treats.  It is getting harder now that my oldest is four.  A cupcake at party now and then was fine in my opinion.  But the problem is that as they get older, there are birthdays monthly and once she starts kindergarten it will probably be weekly (birthday/student of the week treats).  Our school also does group snack (parents take turns bringing snack for the whole class).  You can bet wheat and other crap is a daily part of that. 

I don't want to be controlling of her diet though, I want her to make choices on her own.  We have been focusing on teaching her why we eat the way we do.  Sarah Fragoso's book Paleo Pals has been a great resource.  If we go to a party, I always bring food.  At the last birthday she chose a popsicle over cake!  

If you've been feeding them mostly primally, but they eat something non-primal for the first time, do they like it? I ask this because now that I don't eat wheat or processed sugar, they tend to make me feel sick, and I wonder if that would affect kids?  Hell yes they like it, especially if it is sweet!  My daughter will be up half the night because she can't sleep due to the sugar high and stomach ache though.  We just talk about it the next day and she is starting to make the connection between junk food and feeling poorly. 

It is not always easy, but it is worth it.  I struggled with food and my weight my whole life until making the change to primal.  I am so happy my girls will not experience the problems I had growing up.  Other benefits:  they sleep great, don't get cranky from blood sugar ups and downs, can go hours without snacks, focus for long periods of time, and they eat more fruits and veggies than any kids I know.  If you have any other questions, I am happy to share!

• My husband and I did the whole9 30 day Paleo challenge last year and I ended up doing it for 45 days.  I felt so good when I was eating clean but when I wasn't being as strict with it I kept slipping and went back to eating crap.  Now I am eating primal so pretty much meat, fruit, vegetables, nuts, and dairy.  I had really bad morning sickness until I was about 16 weeks and during that time the smell of meat made me feel even worse and it was really hard to stick to it.  I was eating a lot of blueberry muffins and once I was feeling better I went back to eating better.  

It is a little hard when I'm at a work function and everyone is eating junky foods but I usually try to bring a fruit salad and stick to that.  I will be making my own baby food and plan to raise our kids eating 80/20 and I'm sure there will be times when it is difficult.   

I love everyday paleo, marks daily apple, the clothes make the girl, and I try to make my own paleo recipes with just veges, meats, and spices.  

BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • lycihlycih member
    My favorite site for paleo meals is www.health-bent.com

::The sudden disappointment of a hope leaves a scar that even the ultimate fullfillment of that hope cannot fully erase:: Thomas Hardy

BFP #1: 07/08/11  EDD: 03/22/12  Missed miscarriage @ 8w: 08/11/11, stopped growing @ 6w6d
    BFP #2: 03/26/12  EDD: 12/07/12  We have a HB at 7w!! (04/20/12)  CSD born 12/12/12 
    BFP #3: 08/05/14  Chemical Pregnancy at 4w3d 08/06/14
    BFP #4: 10/02/14  EDD: 06/10/15  Miscarriage at 6w6d 10/22/14

TTCAL Siggy Challenge

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"