Babies on the Brain
Options

lift-top coffee tables

I've been away from this board for several months - so hello again! 

Do any of you have a lift-top coffee table?  DH and I are considering buying one, but we are TTC and want to be sure it won't be a major hazard when we have a LO roaming around.  I'd really appreciate any input on how safe they are. 

TIA!   

Re: lift-top coffee tables

• Options

They do have a little storage, but the top doesn't just hinge up like a lid, it has a mechanism that keeps the lid flat while it lifts up to about a normal table height.  This is the best pic I can find of the mechanism - although I'm not a fan of this particular table. 

https://www.shipshewanafurniture.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_6&products_id=8330&osCsid=heapj95a01t87p0ke9j8jvhgb4

My concern is that the top would get pulled down on or that little fingers could get caught in the lifty part. 

P.S. Sounds like a cool aquarium/coffee table! 

• Options
    We have one and it's never been a problem with our 19 month old. It's too heavy still for him to lift it himself but he's not interested in it at all. Just don't put anything inside that could be dangerous and you should be fine.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imageMandJS:
    Like, a coffee table that has storage inside? I wouldn't see an issue with it... But then, I have a fish tank coffee table and the entire top comes off and it has openings so you can feed the fish without taking the lid off... Took a bit of supervision at first to explain to S about NOT putting her hands inside but mostly, she just looks now...

I really need to see a PIP of this fantastic sounding coffee table. I want one. I'm sure I can find a way to cram it into our really small living room. 

imageimage
    7,065/13,000=54.3%
    Started TTC in June 2008. Not bothering any more.

Bonafide thread killah
  • Options
    imageMandJS:
    imagebiomaj5:

imageMandJS:
    Like, a coffee table that has storage inside? I wouldn't see an issue with it... But then, I have a fish tank coffee table and the entire top comes off and it has openings so you can feed the fish without taking the lid off... Took a bit of supervision at first to explain to S about NOT putting her hands inside but mostly, she just looks now...

I really need to see a PIP of this fantastic sounding coffee table. I want one. I'm sure I can find a way to cram it into our really small living room. 

We have this one, but they come in end table size, too. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000K7CNJ4/ref=asc_df_B000K7CNJ42047724?smid=A3S3Z73FXXE1UG&tag=dealtmp167070-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395105&creativeASIN=B000K7CNJ4 

i have to talk dh into one of these now.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    We had one for years and OMG I loved that thing :)  It was pretty beat up when we moved (when LO was 15 months old) and we replaced it with a different style (which I regret!)  Up until we got rid of it there were no issues because he wasn't big enough to lift it himself and it was never left up if we weren't there.  I honestly can't say how it would go now.  He manages to do things I didn't dream he could (thought he couldn't reach, wasn't strong enough, hadn't paid attention enough for me to think he even cared) so it might have been a challenge at this age but then again, we've kept him from maiming himself with anything else so, like most things, I think you can teach them not to touch.
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• Options
    I love them and had one at my parents.. it was pretty heavy for a baby/toddler to lift.  I wish I had one here instead of my IKEA coffee table. 
Search Boards
"
"