Preemies
Options

May I ask you ladies a question please?

Morning!! I was having a conversation with a co worker this morning and she asked me how far along I was when DD was born, I told her 36wks. She then says "Oh she was a preemie" My question is are babies born at 36wks considered preemies? I have no issue with her being a preemie if that's the case, but I was just never advised that she was at the hospital or from her Pedi. WDYT?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: May I ask you ladies a question please?

• Options
    Got cha. That makes sense, she was small 4lbs 12oz but didn't have any other issues. Maybe why the Hospital or Pedi never mentioned it. Thanks!!
  • Options

imagelucy460:
    I could be wrong, but my understanding is that anything before 37 weeks is "premature." Babies as late as yours (and mine:  35w4d) are "late-term preemies". Some late-term preemies don't need any preemie-related special care, and some do. Just depends on the little one. :)

Anything before 37 weeks is considered "preemie".  

From the sounds of it your preemie doesn't have any issues from being born earlier.  Count yourself lucky.  I'm glad you don't "have issue" with her being a preemie.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagelucy460:
    imageBostonKisses2:

1. Yes, your LO is a preemie, specifically a late-term preemie.  Any baby born before 37 weeks is a preemie, and any baby born after 37 weeks is term.

2. I know you're asking because of your conversation, but the tone of your post is actually kind of rude, insensitive, and offensive.  You say you have "no issue with her being a preemie if that's the case," and it comes across as if there's something wrong or defective with preemies because of an unfortunate circumstance (PTL, pre-e, whatever).  Trust me - none of us want to be on this board, and I'm sorry that you have joined us, but also glad that your LO didn't have any complications.

I think you're being overly sensitive. OP perhaps could have chosen a more delicate wording, but I didn't see anything malicious or insulting intended in her post.

Perhaps she wasn't.  But, a quick google search could have rendered an answer for her.  Saying something like, "I don't have an issue with her being a preemie" seems to leave room for a big BUT in there. _(ie I don't have an issue with her being a preemie BUT thank goodness she doesn't have any preemie problems.)

Preemies come in a range of ga's and have a lot of variance with issues they may or may not have. It's always best to write with sensitivity.  If she had said, "I am confused, some people are telling me I have a preemie and others aren't" I don't think her post would have gotten the same responses. 

Born at 31w3d due to severe IUGR & Placental Insufficiency--2lbs 3ounces

We'll miss you sweet Debbie Girl (4.21.12) and sweet Cindy Girl (8.9.12)
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• Options
    imagelucy460:
    imageBostonKisses2:

1. Yes, your LO is a preemie, specifically a late-term preemie.  Any baby born before 37 weeks is a preemie, and any baby born after 37 weeks is term.

2. I know you're asking because of your conversation, but the tone of your post is actually kind of rude, insensitive, and offensive.  You say you have "no issue with her being a preemie if that's the case," and it comes across as if there's something wrong or defective with preemies because of an unfortunate circumstance (PTL, pre-e, whatever).  Trust me - none of us want to be on this board, and I'm sorry that you have joined us, but also glad that your LO didn't have any complications.

I think you're being overly sensitive. OP perhaps could have chosen a more delicate wording, but I didn't see anything malicious or insulting intended in her post.

This. I never meant any harm. I just had a question and thought this would be a place to ask. Like PP said maybe my wording wasn't delicate but I never meant to be rude. Thank you for you're input. But not everyone intentionally means to be insentitive, I don't think there is anything "defective" about a premie, from you educated me on my DD is a premie. Again apologies if I offended you with my question.

• Options
    imagekatie4253:
    imagelucy460:
    imageBostonKisses2:

Perhaps she wasn't.  But, a quick google search could have rendered an answer for her.  Saying something like, "I don't have an issue with her being a preemie" seems to leave room for a big BUT in there. _(ie I don't have an issue with her being a preemie BUT thank goodness she doesn't have any preemie problems.)

Preemies come in a range of ga's and have a lot of variance with issues they may or may not have. It's always best to write with sensitivity.  If she had said, "I am confused, some people are telling me I have a preemie and others aren't" I don't think her post would have gotten the same responses. 

You may be correct. Goggle has a wide variety of answers on everything. I thought here I would be able to get a straight forward answer and I did. Again I never meant to be insensitive or rude by posting here.

• Options

imagewychets:
    Morning!! I was having a conversation with a co worker this morning and she asked me how far along I was when DD was born, I told her 36wks. She then says "Oh she was a preemie" My question is are babies born at 36wks considered preemies? I have no issue with her being a preemie if that's the case, but I was just never advised that she was at the hospital or from her Pedi. WDYT?

I've read this whole thread and believe you when you say you didn't mean to sound insensitive (it did come off that way, though - BTW 4 lbs is little!!!).

There are times when late-term preemies have way more difficulties than earlier preemies, so you were fortunate. If you didn't have a hospital stay, didn't they do a carseat test at the hospital? From what I understand carseats aren't for babes under 5 lbs so LO should have had a carbed.

I find it annoying that nobody told you 36 weeks is premature. That's important info and I'd be calling my pedi stat asking why I wasn't told. You should also be aware of 'adjusted age' and that LO might not do everything on FT schedules.

SMH 

• Options
    imageurbanflowerpot:

imagewychets:

I've read this whole thread and believe you when you say you didn't mean to sound insensitive (it did come off that way, though - BTW 4 lbs is little!!!).

There are times when late-term preemies have way more difficulties than earlier preemies, so you were fortunate. If you didn't have a hospital stay, didn't they do a carseat test at the hospital? From what I understand carseats aren't for babes under 5 lbs so LO should have had a carbed.

I find it annoying that nobody told you 36 weeks is premature. That's important info and I'd be calling my pedi stat asking why I wasn't told. You should also be aware of 'adjusted age' and that LO might not do everything on FT schedules.

SMH 

Thank you kindly. I did contact my Pedi's office to ask about it, and they stated that there wasn't "a need" to advise me of this because LO didn't have complications. That's BS to me. When it comes to the "adjusted age" should I say she is 4wks younger than she actually is. I am so confused, thank you for understanding that I wasn't trying to be rude. All of this is being thrown at me at once.

• Options
    imageBostonKisses2:
    imagekatie4253:
    imagelucy460:
    imageBostonKisses2:

Yes

OP, my apologies.  Tone can be easily misconstrued online.  No worries.  Smile 

• Options
    imagelucy460:
    imageurbanflowerpot:

imagewychets:

SMH 

I definitely agree with this! 

No one talked about my LO being a preemie, needing any specialized care, etc. Then a week out, LO developed hypothermia and was rehospitalized. The drs were like, "yes, preemies can have a hard time regulating their temperatures. You probably shouldn't have had the ceiling fan on" [even though it was July and we were having an upper-90s heat wave]. I felt like the worst parent on earth, but really, I had no way of knowing that even though my LO was discharged right away with no NICU or Special Care time, he could have problems with this. Huge sigh at that awful memory.

Ughhh I am so pissed about this!! I knew 37wks was full term and I was 36wks 1 day so I assumed it was no biggie because MY DOCTOR, L&D, AND HER PEDI never issued a concern about it!! Even if there for "no need" to be alarmed (as the nurse said it) I think I have the right to know geesshh!!

• Options
    I'm suprised no one told you.  Our DD was born at 36w1d and is considered a late term preemie.  She was able to room with us and was discharged with us as well, but we had a special care nurse assigned to us in the hospital.  She was discharged at 4lb12oz and had to pass a carseat test before they would discharge her.  Also, her pedi and our LC are aware of her coming early which is necessary when discussing quesyions and concerns even though we are very fortunate not to have gone through anything major at this point.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagewychets:
    imagelucy460:
    imageurbanflowerpot:

imagewychets:

SMH 

No one talked about my LO being a preemie, needing any specialized care, etc. Then a week out, LO developed hypothermia and was rehospitalized. The drs were like, "yes, preemies can have a hard time regulating their temperatures. You probably shouldn't have had the ceiling fan on" [even though it was July and we were having an upper-90s heat wave]. I felt like the worst parent on earth, but really, I had no way of knowing that even though my LO was discharged right away with no NICU or Special Care time, he could have problems with this. Huge sigh at that awful memory.

Ughhh I am so pissed about this!! I knew 37wks was full term and I was 36wks 1 day so I assumed it was no biggie because MY DOCTOR, L&D, AND HER PEDI never issued a concern about it!! Even if there for "no need" to be alarmed (as the nurse said it) I think I have the right to know geesshh!!

Damn skippy you had a right to know.  Even if there was "no need" you should have still been told about to look out for.  Is your LO hitting all her milestones on target for her actual age?  If not, it is fine, but this happened to a mom on my bmb.  Her doctor doesn't adjust her daughter's age and is all worked up that she isn't crawling.  Well, she SHOULDN'T be crawling if you adjust her age!!!  The info might not have changed things when your LO was a newborn, but you still had a right to know!

• Options
    imagekatie4253:
    imagewychets:
    imagelucy460:
    imageurbanflowerpot:

imagewychets:

SMH 

Damn skippy you had a right to know.  Even if there was "no need" you should have still been told about to look out for.  Is your LO hitting all her milestones on target for her actual age?  If not, it is fine, but this happened to a mom on my bmb.  Her doctor doesn't adjust her daughter's age and is all worked up that she isn't crawling.  Well, she SHOULDN'T be crawling if you adjust her age!!!  The info might not have changed things when your LO was a newborn, but you still had a right to know!

Yes she is hitting all her milestones. I know every baby is different but now I know the reason if she takes extra time to do something.

• Options

imageCurlingRocks:
    Yeah, you had a preemie.  I have a couple friends with 36 weekers.  They developed a little behind the norm, but otherwise, there is not a huge difference between them and full-term babies.  I hope you have as positive an experience as my friends have had!

Thank you very much!!!

• Options
    imagewychets:
    imagekatie4253:
    imagewychets:
    imagelucy460:
    imageurbanflowerpot:

imagewychets:

SMH 

Yes she is hitting all her milestones. I know every baby is different but now I know the reason if she takes extra time to do something.

Eh I have a 34 weeker, and a 36 weeker. My son was really not considered a preemie (36 weeker) technically he fit the bill, but he needed no extra care and went home with me. I was told several times that adjusted age really Is not taken into consideration after 36 weeks.
  • Options
    imageAndrewsgal:
    imagewychets:
    imagekatie4253:
    imagewychets:
    imagelucy460:
    imageurbanflowerpot:

imagewychets:

SMH 

Eh I have a 34 weeker, and a 36 weeker. My son was really not considered a preemie (36 weeker) technically he fit the bill, but he needed no extra care and went home with me. I was told several times that adjusted age really Is not taken into consideration after 36 weeks.

Well, considering AFTER 36 weeks is full term, then yeah, they wouldn't adjust age.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"