Special Needs
Options

How to stop head banging?

DS has started banging his head onto the floor.  It is a really hard floor (basically concrete with some thin carpeting).  I have tried redirection, putting my hand on his head and holding it against the floor (gently) while sternly saying "NO".

I don't think he's stimming because he ends up getting very upset by it and starts screaming.  He's also shaking his head side to side violently as if saying No.  I usually just put my hand under his chin and look him in the face and say "no" and he stops.  Again, the more violent it gets the more upset and freaked out he gets.  

He has a cold, and is working on some canine teeth.  He doesn't cognitively understand "stop" or anything else.  He doesn't seem phased if I scream his name at him, etc.

Any suggestions?  (DS is globally delayed, he has no words or signs and is cognitively delayed so he doesn't understand things on a 2 yr old level).  I'm not sure if he's doing this out of frustration, jealousy over the new baby, etc.

I have no idea what to do for this, he hasn't really  

To my boys:  I will love you for you Not for what you have done or what you will become I will love you for you I will give you the love The love that you never knew

Re: How to stop head banging?

• Options

Are you sure there is nor physical reason? Could he be having migranes or even seizures? Maybe the pressure from the stuffed up nose is really bothering him....?

If there is no physical reason for it, maybe it is related to the baby and he needs more one-on-one time with you to re-connect?

WAY 2 Cool 4 School

• Options
    imageAssembly_Reqd:

Are you sure there is nor physical reason? Could he be having migranes or even seizures? Maybe the pressure from the stuffed up nose is really bothering him....?

If there is no physical reason for it, maybe it is related to the baby and he needs more one-on-one time with you to re-connect?

i have no idea why the end of my post was cut off, stupid bump.

I can't believe they're seizures because if I touch him, or stand over him he stops.  he's completely alert during it.  He typically doesn't respond to his name well if he's distracted or occupied.   Headaches though....hmm...  that could be.  I wonder if he's got allergies and they're giving him a headache and a stuffed up nose.  

To my boys:  I will love you for you Not for what you have done or what you will become I will love you for you I will give you the love The love that you never knew
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    If he has a cold and/or is teething are you sure it isn't his ears bothering him? For kids who have any kind of sensory issues, their ear/sinus pain can make them act out of the ordinary
  • Options
    In our experience it was always a way for DS to cope with pain.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"