Dads & Dads-to-be

Selfish Baby Conditioning

Is there anything you really enjoy that you selfishly want to get your child into so you can keep enjoying it?

I am a big fan of college football.  So that is the biggest one where I would like my baby girl to be able to bond with dad during.  Others are gardening and animals/nature but they are much less passive so they should be a little easier. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Selfish Baby Conditioning

• if you just live life like normal then your baby will grow up being interested in these things if they want. this is like a weird version of a dad pressuring their child to love sports, then they grow up wanting to dance and trying their best to make dad proud with what they want to do.
  • I really enjoy money.  I have tried with both of my children to instill an interest in money.  I have bought them toys that encourage counting and hoarding and I have even modified a few games to help teach them.  They are a little young for Monopoly yet, but I did take the marbles out of Hungry Hungry Hippos and I replaced them with pennies.  An abacus is a great toy that brings some nostalgia while also teaching them to count.  My only concern is trying to teach them the ideas of compounding interest once they learn the simple task of counting how much they have. 

The hard part is getting them to appreciate saving and keeping their money while also encouraging the idea that they need to share their earned wealth with their parents later in life.  On the days when I am home with them, I try to instill a sense of strong family bonding by doing trust falls and other team building exercises.  I also refuse to allow them to accept food, gifts or other presents from anybody aside from The Wife and I so that they learn to depend on us.  Hopefully they associate the idea of us beaing their sole providers with the notion that they must then support us.

Happy parenting!

• Loading the player...
  • Probably my favorite post to dateon the daddy boards.  Haha.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imagea2pfunk:

I really enjoy money.  I have tried with both of my children to instill an interest in money.  I have bought them toys that encourage counting and hoarding and I have even modified a few games to help teach them.  They are a little young for Monopoly yet, but I did take the marbles out of Hungry Hungry Hippos and I replaced them with pennies.  An abacus is a great toy that brings some nostalgia while also teaching them to count.  My only concern is trying to teach them the ideas of compounding interest once they learn the simple task of counting how much they have. 

The hard part is getting them to appreciate saving and keeping their money while also encouraging the idea that they need to share their earned wealth with their parents later in life.  On the days when I am home with them, I try to instill a sense of strong family bonding by doing trust falls and other team building exercises.  I also refuse to allow them to accept food, gifts or other presents from anybody aside from The Wife and I so that they learn to depend on us.  Hopefully they associate the idea of us beaing their sole providers with the notion that they must then support us.

Happy parenting!

for real for real?

• imagemakinithappen:
    imagea2pfunk:

I really enjoy money.  I have tried with both of my children to instill an interest in money.  I have bought them toys that encourage counting and hoarding and I have even modified a few games to help teach them.  They are a little young for Monopoly yet, but I did take the marbles out of Hungry Hungry Hippos and I replaced them with pennies.  An abacus is a great toy that brings some nostalgia while also teaching them to count.  My only concern is trying to teach them the ideas of compounding interest once they learn the simple task of counting how much they have. 

Happy parenting!

for real for real?

this!
  • No, I was totally kidding. Have you TRIED to find an abacus these days?  Impossible.  I went with one of those Leapfrog toys that has a calculator.

• imagea2pfunk:

No, I was totally kidding. Have you TRIED to find an abacus these days?  Impossible.  I went with one of those Leapfrog toys that has a calculator.

IKEA has them for like $8

• I really don't want to push our Little one into anything that he does not want to do but I would love of course if he did like fishing...gaming ECT. In the end though I will always subside to what ever he is into.
  • I really hope our kid likes video games and zombie/action movies... My wife is not into them so I might get to spend time doing a little more of both if it calls under "bonding time" with baby/kid.
  • Sweet. I know where Lamppost and I will be headed after I drop The Shamrock off at school tomorrow.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"