Natural Birth

HPV :(

During my doctor's visit it was revealed I have two small genital warts (HPV) I never even knew I had HPV. I have been planning on a vaginal and pain med free birth since we found out I was pregnant. The two warts are below the opening of my vagina, but not inside. My doctor basically was like "looks like hpv", gave me a pamphlet, and sent me out the door. I was so upset, I haven't asked about whether or not I am going to still be able to have a natural birth. Passing this on to  my son absolutely terrifies me, but I am also terrified of the epidural (the thought of an epidural or c-section actually gives me nightmares).

Anyone have anything to share please? This is humiliating to post... and I know I need to talk to my doctor about it... I just wanted some feedback. 

Thank you.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: HPV :(

• I had two warts years ago. The nurse "burnt" them off with liquid nitrogen. It was mildly uncomfortable but very quick and didn't require anaesthetic or anything. I think maybe I had to go back for repeat treatment once before they completely went.

the nurse at the time said to me a few different things:

- Anyone can get genital warts in the same way anyone can get warts anywhere else on their body. So try not to let it get you down.

- In her experience few people have repeat episodes of warts and she's never known a person to have a third episode. i did have a repeat episode a couple of years later, but again treatment was quick and easy.

- It does put you at a higher risk for developing cervical cancer so make sure you're up to date with your smears.

I've had two fabulous natural births, and HPV was in no way a consideration.

Good luck getting treatment and the information you need. 

Elizabeth 5yrs old Jane 3yrs old

• I also responded to your most on the 3rd tri board. My experiece has been different than the PP but we both confirmed you can have a natural birth. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • imageKateLouise:

I had two warts years ago. The nurse "burnt" them off with liquid nitrogen. It was mildly uncomfortable but very quick and didn't require anaesthetic or anything. I think maybe I had to go back for repeat treatment once before they completely went.

the nurse at the time said to me a few different things:

- Anyone can get genital warts in the same way anyone can get warts anywhere else on their body. So try not to let it get you down.

- In her experience few people have repeat episodes of warts and she's never known a person to have a third episode. i did have a repeat episode a couple of years later, but again treatment was quick and easy.

- It does put you at a higher risk for developing cervical cancer so make sure you're up to date with your smears.

I've had two fabulous natural births, and HPV was in no way a consideration.

Good luck getting treatment and the information you need. 

I don't have experience with HPV but I wanted to add some information. The type of HPV that causes genital warts is actually different than the type that causes cancer. More information here: https://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/Risk/HPV  I have been diagnosed with an STI before and it can be a bit embarrassing. The fact is that it's an experience that a LOT of people have. It means absolutely nothing about you or your sexual experience. If it were going to significantly alter your birth experience, I imagine your care provider would have brought those issues up when talking with you about it. You can always ask the next time you go in though. Good luck!

• I don't have much to share, and I'm wishing you the best of luck. 

What I can say is that you should NOT be embarrassed or ashamed in anyway. HPV is extremely common, in fact the vast majority of the population is assumed to carry it. Only a few unlucky folks actually have break outs and realize they have it. You can get it from someone even if they don't or have never had an active break out. It's especially difficult to diagnose in men, who may never know they have it. 

Yes, get it checked out and learn about what it means for you and birth and baby, but don't feel any more humiliated than if you were asking about having the flu while giving birth. The odds of getting HPV are probably about the same as getting unlucky in flu season.

Best of luck to you.  

• I had HPV with my DD and delivered med-free. I did not have warts, and I didn't pass anything to my baby.

Interestingly, I've had two paps since my last birth and have been HPV free.

• I was diagnosed with HPV in 2004. I had one of the cancer strains. I had cryosurgery to freeze the bad cells off. From there on out I have been HPV free. My immune system cleared it up. I am sure you are fine but make sure that it is in fact HPV and not something else... Hopefully if you do have HPV it will clear up on it's own like 90% of cases do. Hang in there... 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thank you to all the ladies who have answered. I have come to understand how common it is, but it still breaks my heart, as I do have an active outbreak, and I am already 37 weeks. I will be 38 weeks on Tuesday at my appointment. I am going to ask him to freeze them off then if at all possible. I hope he will, but I still don't know if it will allow me to deliver vaginally since they are located right at the bottom of my vaginal opening, and I do not know if there are others elsewhere (inside). Hoping he will check. Also I am afraid that area won't stretch and it will bleed, which as I understand could still affect my son passing through. I can't help but feel devastated at the fact that something like this could potentially impact my delivery and even my son. I am also GBS positive, and due to antibiotic I am on for a sinus infection, I've developed a yeast infection on top of the genital warts. I'm a mess, and really upset. 
  • I delivered my son med-free (and vaginally, obviously) with HPV and had two small warts at the time. My doctor planned to burn them off at my 6 week check up, but I had a small tear with him and the warts came right off. Lovely, I know. But the point is it caused no problems and was of no concern to my doctor.

ETA: One of them was right along my vagina/perineum area. Again, it was of no concern to my doctor. I Googled about it once while pregnant and found that HPV is generally no big deal while pregnant. I know it's hard not to be emotional about everything towards the end of pregnancy (or, well the entire time actually ha) but try to stay positive!

• imagefunkymonkeyohyeahhh:

I delivered my son med-free (and vaginally, obviously) with HPV and had two small warts at the time. My doctor planned to burn them off at my 6 week check up, but I had a small tear with him and the warts came right off. Lovely, I know. But the point is it caused no problems and was of no concern to my doctor.

ETA: One of them was right along my vagina/perineum area. Again, it was of no concern to my doctor. I Googled about it once while pregnant and found that HPV is generally no big deal while pregnant. I know it's hard not to be emotional about everything towards the end of pregnancy (or, well the entire time actually ha) but try to stay positive!

Thank you so much for sharing  your experience with me. I called in tears, basically hysterical, the labor and delivery nurse and she told me she has seen plenty of cases with vaginal births where the mother had an outbreak. Now if I go in to my doctor and he finds any inside, it may be a different story. I only know of the three right on the outside. I am praying there aren't more. I want a natural birth so badly, I am completely heart broken and terrified that I may end up with an epidural and a c-section.

• im a midwife- 90% of women have hpv. if it were dangerous, no one would deliver vaginally. forget about it.
    TTC since 1/2008
    BFP 7/2009 m/c
    BFP 9/2009 m/c
    Clomid IUI 12/2010, 1/2011, 2/2011 All BFN
    IVF #1 6/2011 BFN, no frosties
    IVF #2 2/2012 BFP
    DD born 10/2012
    FET 9/3/2013 BFN, no more frosties
    IVF # 3 11/3/13 Canceled after retrieval d/t severe OHSS, 3 frosties
    FET #3 2/2014 BFP Twins!
    B/G Twins born 9/2014 at 36w4d

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker