Baby Names

What can Pepper be a nn for?

I've met two babies named Pepper in the past week.  Not sure if they were nicknames or full names, but DH has taken a liking to the name.  I suggested Piper and calling her Pepper (for future hypothetical DD).  Any other names that Pepper could be a nn for?
imageimageimage

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker      

Re: What can Pepper be a nn for?

• Maybe Penelope. esp. if you don't like the nn Penny.
  • Why does it have to be a nn?  Couldn't it just be the name?  Also, it makes me think of that cartoon Pepper Ann.
  • Loading the player...
  • I don't know why you'd name anything but a dog or cat Pepper. Sorry.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    P/SAIF Welcome
    Invisible Finish Line
    3T's Traveling Ovary Blog
    7DPO Progesterone: low. CD3 BW: normal, HSG: clear
    DX: severe MFI (low all 3) and low T. Undergoing replacement therapy.
  • Nicknames don't have to be a direct tie to the given name.  If that were the case, the world would be devoid of any people called Lefty, Slim, Red or Bubba.  I have a friend named Melanie.  Her family has always called her Kip.  No reason for that... it just happened.

I think Pepper falls into that category.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Pretty sure it's a nn for redheads and gingers, of course I'm just assuming as the only Pepper I actually know of is Pepper Potts from Marvel's Iron Man and her fn is Virginia.
    TTCAL PitaPata Cat tickers PitaPata Cat tickers
  • I agree that Pepper should not be something you name a child, hence why I'm asking what it could be a nick name for.  I would never saddle my child with that name.  That is why I'm asking for a more formal name that it could be a nickname for.

I only wish my DH would be on bored with Penelope.  It is one of my top names.  Maybe he'd like it with the nn Pepper.  And I could call her Penny. 

imageimageimage

• Are you wanting this for a girls name?  I know a man named Pepper, but I've never heard of it for a girl. 

I do like the Piper idea though.  It's a great name, even though it's becoming more popular, then you could give her whatever nickname you like!

• imagekincaid44:

Are you wanting this for a girls name?  I know a man named Pepper, but I've never heard of it for a girl. 

I do like the Piper idea though.  It's a great name, even though it's becoming more popular, then you could give her whatever nickname you like!

Yep for a girl.  I've never heard it on a boy.  My first association is the oldest orphan from Annie the Musical, then the television series Rebecca Romaine was in (her title character was named Pepper), and then Pepper Potts from Iron Man. 

imageimageimage

• I actually think Pepper is a really cute name. 

It was the name of one of the characters in 'Annie'. 

Callie photo Callie1.jpg
  • What about Poppy? or Penny? (Penelope?) similar and sweet too!
    Callie photo Callie1.jpg
  • imageKittyMarie219:
    Pretty sure it's a nn for redheads and gingers, of course I'm just assuming as the only Pepper I actually know of is Pepper Potts from Marvel's Iron Man and her fn is Virginia.

This. DH calls our DD Pepper for this reason, Iron Man not because she's a red head.

imageimage
  • My 19 month old is named Harper, and her little friend can't pronounce it, and calls her Pepper. I think its cute!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageBrideBuddies:

Nicknames don't have to be a direct tie to the given name.  If that were the case, the world would be devoid of any people called Lefty, Slim, Red or Bubba.  I have a friend named Melanie.  Her family has always called her Kip.  No reason for that... it just happened.

I think Pepper falls into that category.

I agree with this. I have a friend named Annie who is sometimes called Pepper. I think her father started it, I'm sure there was a "reason" but who knows!

[spoiler] My Blog: Grow Baby Grow

BFP #1: 12/2009 m/c 1/2010 BFP #2: 6/2010 m/c 8/2010

BFP #3: 10/2011 ectopic 11/2011 (right tube removed, learned left tube was probably nonfunctional due to scar tissue from infection after m/c)

3 failed IUIs, IVF #1: 18R, 12M, 10F, 3 poor quality 5d embryos transferred= BFP #4!!!!!

Betas: 9dp5dt: 64 ~14dp5dt: 91 (expecting miscarriage, doubling time of 236 hours) ~16dp5dt: 200~18dp5dt: 500

First Ultrasound at 6w2d revealed two sacs, only one with a heartbeat

LK arrived after 42 weeks on August 14, 2013! Beautiful, healthy, and happy!

TTC#2: IVF booked for April 2015

Surprise BFP#5 February 19, 2015 EDD: November 2, 2015

Betas: 10dpo: 10, 14dpo: 77, 17dpo: 270

First Ultrasound at 5w1d showed a miracle UTE baby! And right ovary ovulation to left fallopian tube.

JD arrived at 38 weeks on October 20, 2015.

TTC #3: Since October 2017. BFP #6 July 2, 2018 EDD: March 16, 2019 [/spoiler]

• I can see Pepper being the nn for Penelope (and, quite frankly, I like it a ton better than Penny)... but using it for Piper is kind of ridiculous. Nicknames are generally an abbreviated version of the full name.

• imagexoexpat:
    Why does it have to be a nn?  Couldn't it just be the name?  Also, it makes me think of that cartoon Pepper Ann.

This is what I was thinking too. And now the song is stuck in my head. 

• ZimgerZimger member
    I knew a Pepper. It was his middle name, but that's what we called him.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • "Pepper Ann, Pepper Ann,
    Marchin' in her own parade.
    Pepper Ann, she's like one in a million!
    Pepper Ann, Pepper Ann,
    Much too cool for seventh grade.
    Catch 'er if you can, Pepper Ann
    !"
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    imageimage
  • I knew a Pepper. She was in middle school and high school with me. Her older sister was called Stormy. I never knew their real names until like 9th grade. None of them had Pepper or Stormy in their names. They were super long Hawaiian names since that is what is traditional for their culture (they were like 100% Hawaiian). However, I love the nn Pepper for Penelope.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I immediately thought of Ironman. I love Pepper, I think its cute and would be a great nn for Penelope.

• Pepper is more of a pet's name than a human's name to me.  Sorry :(
  • I think of the Cowboy Way with Woody Harrelson and Keifer Sutherland.  Woody played Pepper Lewis...

maybe Spencer?

• In my case, my parents call me Angelfish or Angel (who knows), my cousins call me Shoe (mine were never tied), my sisters in law have shortened my already short first name (it's five letters, and they've shortened it to the first three), and everyone else in my extended family calls me Baby, since I'm the youngest in my generation.My husband refers to me as "Brownie" sometimes, since I have brown hair.

The point? You can call your kid whatever you darn well please. 

Though I do agree Pepper isn't really a nickname, neither is Shoe. 

"Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same."- Emily Bronte Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I had a baby sitter in the 1980's named Pepper.  That was her given name, not a nick name.  Her siblings had pretty traditional names so I'm not sure where her parents came up with Pepper.
  • sometimes NN are not takes on given names....we call my daughter Mew cuz when she was born she didnt cry but mewed like a kitten.  I have a friend whose NN is Scooter cuz when he was 2 he got into a box of scooter pies.  My nephew's NN is Juju cuz he couldnt say Jared as a baby....it goes on and on...
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • I like PP's suggestion of Harper. I think that is less of a stretch than Penelope. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"