Health & Exercise
Options

running help

i need running help- if you can call the moseying i do running. i haven't run since DD was born (she's 15 mos. i've been working out since she was 12 weeks (i had a c/s) but not actually jogging) so i started couch to 5k a few months ago. everything went swimmingly until i hit the 2 mile run mark. i'm trying to hit the 3 mile mark and i just can't do it. whenever i go out i feel pains in my shoulders, chest, and sides. its different each time, not like a consistent pain, more like different cramps that hit about 3/4 of a mile in. I've tried running through it, walking, slowing down, etc. but i can't seem to push through it. it's been months now and I'm keeping like a 5.8 mile pace. my legs could go faster, i think my cardio system could go faster, but my body just feels like it can't. does that make sense?  idk what to do, i was really all in on running, but I've hit a wall and i want to quit. I'm so sick of being such a crappy runner and starting and quitting over and over. help?  any advice???

Re: running help

• Options

I definitely understand how you feel! 2 miles is my wall, too. Try mixing in some short sprints on shorter run days. Or modify your C25K plan to increase slower. Make sure you're stretching enough as well.

Something that really helped me (and was recommended by a physical therapist), was to do some more weight training. It has definitely helped my back and shoulders feel better while I run. 

Me:27, DH:28 - DX: MFI, varicocele repair Nov 2011 
    Post-Op SA: Count- 15 million, Motility- 75%, Morphology- 3% 
    IVF with ICSI - Stimming 10/4/12 - 10/13/12, Lupron Trigger
    ER 10/18/1212 eggs retrieved, 8 mature, 5 fertilized
    5 day transfer 10/23/12, 3 frosties
    Beta #1 11/5/12: 453, Beta #2 11/7/12: 1,013, DD born 7/19/13
  • Options

I started running a couple months after my second was born and it took a while to be able to run 3 miles straight. So it is totally normal, good for you for trying!

Some ideas: drink lots of water throughout the day, do a speed workout once a week - either run 1 mile as fast as you can or run at a fast pace for 30sec-1min then at a slow pace for 1min alternate for 20min or 2 miles. Try going slow and running longer? Do you have music you can listen to? A jogging stroller you can push ... Sometimes my kids are a great distraction. Someone that will run with you - a distraction and a little competitive spirit. Try a different time of day ... The earlier in the day the better for me. Try eating or not eating or a light snack before.

Are you running outside? I think that is easier than a treadmill.

You probably have already tried a buch of these, but I was just trying to brainstorm for you! Good luck!

DS 3.7.09
    mm/c 5.3.10 at 10 weeks
    DD 4.1.11
    mm/c 9.25.12 at 11 weeks
    c/p 3.20.13
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    do you need more potassium?  Could that be causing the cramping?  You could try to run at a slower pace to get a longer distance.  I can do 1 mile at a lot quicker pace than if I have to space it out over 3.  I don't think my speed is anywhere near 5.8.  (I'm not very fast ;)  )
  • Options
    The thing is that 5.8 is not slow.  Actually, many people work long and hard to achieve sub-30 5ks--which is a 6.0 speed.  5.0 is totally normal, and on my long runs, I will often run slower than that.  Basically, slow down.  Maybe try googling or reading Runner's World.  Also, maybe you would be happier if you had a HRM to help you keep track of exactly how hard you are working. 

BFP#1 "Watermelon" born 3/2011
    BFP#2 "Pumpkin" 7/14/12 ~ EDD 3/23/13 ~ Natural M/C 8/3/12 @ 7 weeks
    BFP#3 "Pineapple"  born 4/2013
    BFP#4 "Grapefruit" EDD 3/29/16
  • Options

Make sure you drink lots of water.  Also eat lots of foods rich in potassium, calcium and magnesium.  Make sure you are breathing deeply (fill your lungs all the way up and then exhale completely).  When I run, for the first mile, I have a hard time deep lung breathing, but by mile 2, I get into a rythum and the last 2 miles are so much easier than the 1st because I get my breathing regulated.

• Options
    It sounds like a posture problem.  Make sure you aren't running hunched over as most people tend to do.  Straighten out your back and be sure to pump your arms as you stride.
    imageimage
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"