Natural Birth

Have any of you been wait listed by care providers?

I found out not long ago that we're expecting our first baby, and I have been trying to set up appointments/care plans with area midwives.  

I'm due at the end of January, and keep hearing that they're already booked up and that I can be put on the wait list, but there is obviously no guarantee.  Apparently, I should have booked for the birth before we even conceived.    

Has anyone else been in this situation?   If so, how did you deal with it?  How did things work out? 

I think this whole labor & delivery thing is terrifying enough, and I really hope my initial experiences aren't indicative of how the next 8 months will be.   

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP #1 26May12 - EDD 27Jan13 - DX blighted ovum 12Jul12 - M/C 2Aug12 
BFP #2 13Jan13 - EDD 22Sep13 - DD born 20Sep2013!
BFP #3 23Jul15 - EDD 1Apr16 - 

Re: Have any of you been wait listed by care providers?

• Do you have any contact information for midwives who may be a bit further away? Mine is in a neighboring city (1hr) away. But she comes to my home for all the visits. Perhaps you can ask for referrals from those who are full?
    Lilypie - (qptF)

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 
    "Elsie Irene was born sleeping at 35w 6d on December 8, 2012. Mommy and Daddy miss you sweet girl."

• Good idea to look to neighboring communities!  Thanks!

I've asked for referrals, but have not heard back on anything yet.   

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP #1 26May12 - EDD 27Jan13 - DX blighted ovum 12Jul12 - M/C 2Aug12 
    BFP #2 13Jan13 - EDD 22Sep13 - DD born 20Sep2013!
    BFP #3 23Jul15 - EDD 1Apr16 - 
  • Loading the player...
  • I almost was. We had trouble getting pregnant, so we were under the care of a Reproductive Endocrinologist when I conceived. We "graduated" from his care after an ultrasound at 7 weeks. I called the MW practice the next day and was told they weren't taking any more patients due in May! I was pissed, I felt like I missed out because I had fertility issues, and that rubbed salt in the wound. However, I argued that I was an existing patient, because I already saw the MWs for annuals. They agreed to ask the MWs if they'd take me, and they did. Anyway, the reason I got the runaround was because the practice was reorganizing and they were going from 5 MWs to 2. I had to accept that, because of this, it might be one of the OBs in the practice delivering me, since MWs would no longer be on call every day of the week. In the end, that's what happened, but it was a sacrifice I was willing to make for my MW prenatal care. For me, it was about weighing options. Sounds like you'll have to do that too. Good luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I was at 2 of the 3 MW practices in our area.  One 30 mins away took me right away.  By the time we had our appt. with them a few weeks later the two more local ones had called me (but I didn't call back to decline until after the other appt.)  We loved them so much the 30 mins were worth it.  So by me turning the other 2 places down, 2 more wait-listed women got in. The wait may not be as long as you'd think.
    ~ M/C April 28/10 @ 10w2d ~ ~ M/C Sept. 14/10 @ 5w ~ Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"