Dads & Dads-to-be
Options

Nighttime

I was wondering what you and your wife/significant other does at night with your little one. People look at me funny when I tell them what we do so I was just curious what "the norm" is. 

She normally sleep most of the night (we got lucky so far)  and when she stirs and cries and such, I get up and change her diaper and bring her back to mom so she can breastfeed her and I go back to sleep while shes feeding. 

Re: Nighttime

• Options
    Sounds about right to me. We co-slept with our little guy for the first 7 or 8 months though. But everything else sounds about the same. Nothing weird to me.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I've just had quite a few people be like "oh, you actually get up at night. That's cool...." 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Right now I work during the week while she's at home, so during the week she tries not to wake me up if she can manage it. We're also 100% breastfeeding, so it's not like I can feed LO anyways.

On the weekends we'll share diaper duty at night.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BhqjipgCIAAOz7H.jpg
    -My son was born in April 2012. He pretty much rules.
  • Options
    imageLuckyDad:

Right now I work during the week while she's at home, so during the week she tries not to wake me up if she can manage it. We're also 100% breastfeeding, so it's not like I can feed LO anyways.

On the weekends we'll share diaper duty at night.

We are also 100% breastfeeding. Right now both of us work. She mainly works in the morning so when she works I do it all. Nighttime I am always on diaper duty and she is always on food duty. There has been once in a blue moon where wife is not feeling well so I feed her some pumped milk through the night.

• Options

H and I rotate bedtime - if LO doesn't fall asleep on his own after an hour. He has been rocked for the maority of all naps and bedtimes up until recentely.

When he was rocked to sleep every night was rotated between who rocked him. That person read a book, rocked until asleep. We both do bath time together.

Now that he is somewhat crying it out - most nights - we will rock and read him a book (still rotating) and immediately putting him into the bed after kisses and hugs. We still do bath time together. If he is still crying after a hour - checked every 10 minutes - the person who did not read goes in and then we rotate that until he is asleep. We do not pick him up though. We are so ready to be done with rocking him to sleep! Haha.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

We're pretty lucky and our LO sleeps through most nights.  If she wakes on the weekend, we can usually get her back down after a change and feeding.  On the weekdays she sleeps to around when we have to be up anyway so we just lose a little sleep.  We take turns on feeding and changing with keeping in mind who has to work when and if either of us is really short on sleep.

I don't think there is a right or wrong, just what works for each family.  We try to make sure that we share the responsibilities and keep each other sane.  Well, sane-ish.  :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker If you aren't part of the solution, you are part of the precipitate.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"