Natural Birth

Playlist for Labor

What are some good songs to play during relaxation in 1st stage labor? I'm looking for ideas - not limited to one genre of music. TIA!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Playlist for Labor

• I have nothing to add but don't make my mistake and forget to make a playlist.  I had to listen to the only music the hospital had in their cd player.. classical. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I searched "relaxation" and "spa" on Pandora--I've been listening to these when I take a bath every night.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Even though I'm a long ways out from delivery I was just thinking about this the other day and remembering a CD I really enjoyed listening to years ago... "The Beauty of the Rain" by Dar Williams.  It's not super folky like a lot of her stuff (even though I am a fan of acoustic/folk music)... I'm not sure the best way to describe it... ethereal?  otherworldly?  It's a really beautiful CD and the songs flow really nicely from one to the next.  I was thinking it would be a good labor soundtrack.

I also love the idea of using Pandora.

Severe MFI. Me: supposedly all clear but eggs showed vacuoles.

IVF #1 January 2012, ER Jan 14th: 34R, 27M, 23F. Day 3: 18 embies still strong. Day 5: zero "good," one "fair," the rest "poor." Transferred 3. None made it to blast or to freeze. Jan 28: BFN.

Lucky IVF #2: Transferred two beautiful day three embies on St. Patrick's Day. BFP on HPT 7dp3dt. Beta 1 (14dpER)=106; Beta 2 (16dpER)=140; Beta 3 (19dpER)=264! First u/s 4.17.

imageimageimageBabyFruit Ticker

Hope is the thing with feathers - that perches in the soul - and sings the tune without the words - and never stops - at all - (Emily Dickinson)

• I had 'Wrath of Khan' on the tv during early labour with DS1.  It took my mind off the contractions.  I think I looped it twice.
    promised myself I'd retire when I turned gold, and yet here I am
  • I use Pandora, but the free version, and I'm thinking maybe that'd be a good way to go. Except, I should probably think about paying for a month of "ad free" music so my relaxationg is not interrupted by the annoying advertisements.
  • A lot of women use the Comfort Zone CD. I think its by Stephen Halpert
    TTC since 1/2008
    BFP 7/2009 m/c
    BFP 9/2009 m/c
    Clomid IUI 12/2010, 1/2011, 2/2011 All BFN
    IVF #1 6/2011 BFN, no frosties
    IVF #2 2/2012 BFP
    DD born 10/2012
    FET 9/3/2013 BFN, no more frosties
    IVF # 3 11/3/13 Canceled after retrieval d/t severe OHSS, 3 frosties
    FET #3 2/2014 BFP Twins!
    B/G Twins born 9/2014 at 36w4d

• jroggejrogge member

My masters was  in music therapy, so I have been thinking and asking a lot about music and childbirth.  The first and foremost rule on using music in birth or for any therapeutic purpose is that YOU must like the music. If you don't like it, you'll likely become annoyed or anxious. I strongly suggest an MP3 player or phone where you can quickly start, stop, and change the playlists, so you or your helpers don't spend time messing with technology. Having said that, I have not yet been through labor, so I will give you the advice another music therapist who has had three children gave me:

Have various playlists ready. You will probably need different types of music in different moments, and at times you may not want music at all.  Playlist styles she suggested were one with very relaxing music, one with songs that are somewhat mellow but not snooze-makers, something to which you can bounce and sway to, and a list of your all-time favorites but nothing too harsh.  Again, use the music you love. If you don't have a type of music you need, try Pandora or another free service to find some examples and get them off iTunes, buy a CD, or whatever method you use to get music.

In the end, you may want music, you may be happy with a TV show on, or you may just need quiet. If you have a musical helper, have them bring their instrument. Music that can be adapted to your rhythm can't be beat.

• My labor playlist had over 150 songs and I think I went through all of them.  I had stuff like Celtic Women, Enya, the sound track to Pride and Prejudice (the one w/ Keira Knightly), some IZ, and some contemporary easy listening type music.  I was going to add some white noise like rain or ocean sounds but forgot.

My hospital didn't have iPod docks so we brought our own complete with remote so we could control the music from across the room.  The dock is now in the nursery for LO.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"