Natural Birth
Options

Vitamin D Levels (XP First Tri)

I went for my first appointment a week ago and my CNM said that they recently started checking everyone's Vitamin D levels.  She said that new research seems to suggest a link between deficiency with this vitamin and a higher c-section rate.  She said that most women they have tested need a supplement.  I got a call from the nurse today who left me a message saying to call her back about a possible supplement based on my blood work.  Anyone else's office doing this or have you heard of this?  They weren't doing it when I was pregnant with my first. 

Re: Vitamin D Levels (XP First Tri)

• Options
    Yes, my Vitamin D levels were tested in my 1st pregnancy over 4 years ago. But I live in a northern city that doesn't get much summer/sunny weather and MOST people here are VitD deficient. I've taken supplements ever since then, whether I'm pregnant or not. I've recently read that there are benefits to the baby both in the womb and immediately after birth when mom has adequate Vit D levels, but I've never heard of the c-section connection.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Of all the things to focus on linking to c-section rates.....
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imageArmyQM:
    Of all the things to focus on linking to c-section rates.....

No doubt!  How can we shift the blame to someone else? 

• Options

This pregnancy was the 1st one in which my Vit D levels have been tested and guess what I am vit D deficiant... I think opting to just get more sun is best instead of taking supplements, but I did buy some vit D supplements (OTC- 400 IU) to take just in case. My Dr. said that it is new to test vit D levels in pregnancy and that there is no current link with low vit D levels and any pregnancy related concerns/issues.      

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imagemissmaggie11:

This pregnancy was the 1st one in which my Vit D levels have been tested and guess what I am vit D deficiant... I think opting to just get more sun is best instead of taking supplements, but I did buy some vit D supplements (OTC- 400 IU) to take just in case. My Dr. said that it is new to test vit D levels in pregnancy and that there is no current link with low vit D levels and any pregnancy related concerns/issues.      

In a recent study, they found women who took 4,000 IU of Vitamin D were:

- Half as likely to develop gestational diabetes. 

- Half as likely to develop pregnancy-related high blood pressure / pre-eclampsia.

- Less likely to give birth prematurely.

- Less likely for both mother and baby to have insufficient Vitamin D levels.

Source: https://www.webmd.com/baby/news/20100504/high-doses-of-vitamin-d-may-cut-pregnancy-risk

There are also numerous non-pregnancy reasons to take Vitamin D. Vitamin D deficiency is linked to a laundry list of health problems, including increased risk of certain cancers, heart disease, depression, diabetes, lupus, multiple sclerosis, and more.

400 IU is barely anything. I take about 4,500 IU a day.

Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    imageabbyful:
    imagemissmaggie11:

In a recent study, they found women who took 4,000 IU of Vitamin D were:

- Half as likely to develop gestational diabetes. 

- Half as likely to develop pregnancy-related high blood pressure / pre-eclampsia.

- Less likely to give birth prematurely.

- Less likely for both mother and baby to have insufficient Vitamin D levels.

Source: https://www.webmd.com/baby/news/20100504/high-doses-of-vitamin-d-may-cut-pregnancy-risk

There are also numerous non-pregnancy reasons to take Vitamin D. Vitamin D deficiency is linked to a laundry list of health problems, including increased risk of certain cancers, heart disease, depression, diabetes, lupus, multiple sclerosis, and more.

400 IU is barely anything. I take about 4,500 IU a day.

Not only that but I recently read an article about a study that found up to 10,000 IU a day to be safe for adults. I've recently upped my supplements by quite a bit.  

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

My vitamin D levels were checked at my first prenatal appointment. My midwife said my levels were awesome when the results came back. I had already been taking a supplement though just because I know living in the Pacific Northwest isn't ideal to vitamin D absorption. I never did ask why they were tested though.

ETA: I take 5,000 IU daily.

BabyFruit Ticker

photo 1d770d91-53d1-4538-bdc8-2350dc996755.jpg 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

BFP #1 - 8.23.11 | EDD 5.4.12 | Natural MC 11w6d
    BFP #2 - 2.27.12 | EDD 11.9.12 | DD #1- 11.2.12!!
    BFP #3 - 4.12.14 | EDD 12.24.14
  • Options

Oooh, I've read about it, but that's sort of awesome. I take Vital Choice fish oil - 2000 IU of D3, if you're looking for recommendations. It's a really small pill and I haven't had any fishy burps with it.

Also - congrats on your pregnancy!

DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• Options
    After my initial bloodwork I was put on 50,000 iui/wk.  28 wk appt showed I was no longer deficient, but they haven't said anything about changing the prescription and I forgot to ask today.
  • Options
    imagenosoup4u:

Oooh, I've read about it, but that's sort of awesome. I take Vital Choice fish oil - 2000 IU of D3, if you're looking for recommendations. It's a really small pill and I haven't had any fishy burps with it.

Also - congrats on your pregnancy!

Thank you! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"