1st Trimester

Is apple juice bad?

I'm not sure if this is a dumb question or not... 

I love apple juice and my sister said apple juice is not okay to drink during pregnancy.

Does anyone know if this is true or not?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Is apple juice bad?

• I don't see why you couldn't have it. I used to drink cold orange juice when I got further along with my son, because it always made him move around.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Apple Juice is really sweet. It's fruit sweet but still sugary. 
  • Loading the player...
  • sesigssesigs member
    I read somewhere that they have found some brands of apple juice have arsenic in them (apple seeds naturally have arsenic in them) so it might be worth doing some more research if you drink a lot of apple juice but I wouldn't be too worried! I also cut juices with water which helps cut down on empty calories. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Pregnancy tickers BabyFetus Ticker
  • like the PP said just check the sugar content

apple juice was bad for me during pregnancy because I had such bad heartburn and Apple juice made it 1000 times worse

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • juice is bad for everyone, not pregnant women specifically.

Buy a juicer and make your own!   

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker BFP#1 10/26/09 EDD 7/4/10 Beautiful Baby Boy born 2 weeks late 7/16/10 BFP#2 8/23/11 EDD 5/11/12 Natural Miscarriage @ 6 weeks BFP#3 5/22/12 EDD 2/10/13 Stick Baby!
  • imageNicoleR524:

juice is bad for everyone, not pregnant women specifically.

Buy a juicer and make your own!   

Agree. My OB told me to just stay away from juice. Too much sugar. 

• I always get no sugar added and try to only have a glass a day but I love apple juice. There is a kind that's not processed though, I think it's called raw apple cider or something? Not the same thing but I think most kinds are ok

Jacob, 1/14/13
  • I don't drink it myself and I don't give it to DS because of the news about arsenic being in apple juice.  I am waiting until something more is done on that matter before we go back to it.-
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagesesigs:
    I read somewhere that they have found some brands of apple juice have arsenic in them (apple seeds naturally have arsenic in them) so it might be worth doing some more research if you drink a lot of apple juice but I wouldn't be too worried! I also cut juices with water which helps cut down on empty calories. 

Just FYI, some research was done on this and while apple seeds do contain arsenic, it is naturally-occurring arsenic which is harmless. The kind of arsenic found in rat poison is synthetic, which is very dangerous. Dr. Oz had aired a show about not drinking apple juice and it caused a stir with the FDA because his research was biased and incomplete.

Apple juice is safe to drink, but is full of sugar which causes osmotic diuresis. That means it draws fluid into your intestines (hence the diarrhea you can get from too much apple juice) and makes you pee a lot, which can lead to dehydration. Oh boy I sound like a nerd, sorry that's the nurse in me!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thank you all for your advise and information! Very helpful! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"