Parenting after 35
Options

In that vein...

Moms of 2+, what do you do with your big kids non-little kid friendly toys when your little kid becomes mobile?

I don't want to take all of DS's toys with smaller parts away, but I'm already panicking about New Baby choking on stuff Sad

Re: In that vein...

• Options
    The little guy is no longer allowed in big brother's room. Esp. after I found him with calendar magnets in his mouth more than once. Toys with small parts stay in big brother's room with the door closed at all times.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    mwdmwd member
    They go away in the attic, to come out when baby is sleeping. Establish a reward system when your big guy cleans up after himself, too.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    steverstever member

imagemwd:
    They go away in the attic, to come out when baby is sleeping. Establish a reward system when your big guy cleans up after himself, too.  
    That's a really good idea.

And thanks ladies. As it is now we have a tiny little one-storey house. DS has toys that tend to stay in either his bedroom or living room, but there's some definite migration of them. Also, DH works from home... in our bedroom, so we're down a room. I'll be gating the kitchen so the only space left is DS's room and the living room, and I don't know how I can put a gate between those rooms since DS1 has to get back and forth... but then DS2 will surely want to scoot back there and see what big bro is up to.

Aaaaahhhh!

So yeah, maybe I'll take away the most dangerous toys and do the reward thing for DS1 with the others to keep them out of DS2's reach.

• Options

Is it bad that I just taught the little ones to spit?!?! Lego has been relegated to the garage in Rubbermaid containers, but only because L doesn't play with it anymore and I was sick of cutting my feet on it. Polly Pocket is banned from my house, but only because the little pieces would go missing and you couldn't really play with it, or you'd spend hours looking for the damn things. So that leaves Barbie shoes and LPS accesories. So S is a champion spitter. She can fire a pet shop about 5 feet. (Seriously though, anything that is worrisome either hits the bin or is put away).

I worry more about K, and more so E. Those two dare each other to swallow stupid things. Not nearly as dumb as L's  dumba$$ friend that ate a live goldfish though.

• Options
    My son was 5 when I had #2 last year. I have a "nothing in nothing out" policy with the crib/playpen; I created a "land of small parts" where #1 could play with toys (but #2 cannot go unsupervised and all small parts are in screw tops) and a "safe spot" (no small parts allowed) so #2 can mill about as desired. All of these were ad hoc and work to this stage but I have no idea what the next few months will bring.  Good luck!
  • Options
    steverstever member
    imageMaggee206:
    My son was 5 when I had #2 last year. I have a "nothing in nothing out" policy with the crib/playpen; I created a "land of small parts" where #1 could play with toys (but #2 cannot go unsupervised and all small parts are in screw tops) and a "safe spot" (no small parts allowed) so #2 can mill about as desired. All of these were ad hoc and work to this stage but I have no idea what the next few months will bring.  Good luck!
    Ad hoc is what I'm anticipating.Big Smile
  • Options
    We kept things put away and up high and got them out as needed/wanted and played in safe areas.  It was really not that big of a deal for us.  We have a dog so nothing really ever stays out other than in the basement where the dog can't go and it was easy to have older DD play down there without the little one or only if DH or I was with them.
    Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"