Natural Birth
Options

Laboring at home?

Hey, ladies...I usually post on the Sept 12 board but this question might be better answered by you all. I am planning a natural birth at a hospital. I understand that once you enter a hospital "the clock starts ticking" and you're expected to deliver your baby by the next 12 or so hours. I've been advised that the best way to avoid interventions is to labor at home for as long as possible. I'm a FTM and I have no idea how long you can labor at home without stying there TOO long. Are there even any clear signs of when you should head to the hospital? TIA!

BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Laboring at home?

• Options

I'm a FTM too, so I don't know from personal experience.....But I am taking a HypnoBirthing class so I'll tell you what I learned there.  :)

You can wait until your contractions are approx. 5 mins apart (consistently).

My HB instructor says in her opinion it's best to wait until it "feels like you're sitting on a baby head."  This would be when you're about 7cm dilated (transition).

If your water breaks sometimes your dr will advise you to go in right away, but that's not always necessary.  You can still wait for the contractions to get close together, or for the feeling that you're in transition.  You just need to make sure you don't have a fever (a sign of infection), and you should be just fine.  

Hope this helps!  I'm planning a natural hospital birth too, but I also want to labor at home as long as possible because I don't want to feel pressured or rushed.  I want him to come when he's ready, no matter how long it takes. 

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    erb82erb82 member

Unless your water has broken, I don't think hospitals really put you on a strict clock.  They might try to intervene to speed you up for their convenience.  I would talk to your OB/midwife about this.  That being said, laboring at home is so much more comfortable since you're in your own environment and no one is asking you a million questions or trying to get you to sit down so they can monitor things.  Depending on how close you live to the hospital, I'd go with the 3-1-1 rule: contractions three minutes apart, lasting at least a minute, for one hour before leaving.  The book Natural Hospital Birth suggests that if it takes you less than 10 minutes to get out of the house and into the car (between stopping to deal with contractions), you're leaving too early.  

With my last birth I showed up at the hospital complete and ready to push.  It was great for avoiding interventions, but the car ride totally sucked.  I kind of wished we had gone a little earlier. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    MSC03MSC03 member

While I labored at home, I called and checked in with my midwife every 2 hours or so. When it came time to go, I KNEW--and she could hear it in my voice on the phone. It wasn't the time on the clock between the contractions--my legs were shaking and getting into a car any later than that could have been really hard to do.

I arrived at the hospital around 6 p.m., was 6 cm at check in, and had my daughter around 2 a.m. I had already labored 20 hours at home.

imageimage
  • Options
    It's a great idea to labor at home!  My MW told me to wait until the contractions were between 3--1-1 and 2-1-1 (we are 15-20min from the hospital).   I labored at home for 10 hours and even though my contractions were still only 3.5-1-1, I just decided if we waited any longer the car ride and triage would be pure misery.  I knew I wasn't super close, but also knew that my hospital was pretty pro-natural childbirth, so I wasn't too worried about it.  When we arrived at the hospital I was 6cm and DD was in my arms 7 hours later.  Worked out well!
  • Options
    atcwagatcwag member

There have been a few posts about this that I've lurked on.  Some things people have suggested:

* Don't go before 5-1-1 (5 min. apart, lasting 1 min for 1 hour)
    * Go between 3-1-1 and 2-1-1
    * Go when you are no longer comfortable being at home
    * Go when the aspect of riding in a car is the absolute LAST thing you want to be doing

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

i agree with talking to your provider- like one woman said- they can "hear" if it sounds like you need to come in.

consider a doula- most of them come to your house & if they have experience can usually tell when its time to go.

if you're not having a fair amount of bloody show its not time to go- when your cervix really starts to open you'll see this.

i also agree with not going in until the contractions are 2-3 minutes apart for a while.

i tell my first time moms, when you are thinking of throwing in the towel & getting an epidural- then head in because your usually in transition.

TTC since 1/2008
    BFP 7/2009 m/c
    BFP 9/2009 m/c
    Clomid IUI 12/2010, 1/2011, 2/2011 All BFN
    IVF #1 6/2011 BFN, no frosties
    IVF #2 2/2012 BFP
    DD born 10/2012
    FET 9/3/2013 BFN, no more frosties
    IVF # 3 11/3/13 Canceled after retrieval d/t severe OHSS, 3 frosties
    FET #3 2/2014 BFP Twins!
    B/G Twins born 9/2014 at 36w4d

• Options
    imagedmhrn13:

if you're not having a fair amount of bloody show its not time to go- when your cervix really starts to open you'll see this.

i also agree with not going in until the contractions are 2-3 minutes apart for a while.

i tell my first time moms, when you are thinking of throwing in the towel & getting an epidural- then head in because your usually in transition.

Disagree. I had bloody show with J. But with A. I didn't. I had non-regular contractions all day long. But no bloody show. My MW checked me at 4 pm. I was almost 5 cm...and still no bloody show. Just over half an hour later my water broke. Still no bloody show. But I was holding A. in my arms half an hour after my water broke.

With A., as I said, I had random contractions all day long. It wasn't until back labor started at 3 pm that I knew it was the real deal. And then they went from nonregular (Some long, some short, some awful, some barely noticeable) to horrendous close together long back labor contractions immediately.

As for the "when you think you can't do it" advice that's often thrown around, when I hit that point with J. I finally let my mw check me. I was fully dilated. And just as I started to think I was there with A., I started to push.

For a first time mom though, the 3-1-1 rule is probably good. I also agree that your care provider will be able to hear in your voice if you should be heading in.
  • Options
    I also disagree with the bloody show comment. I never had any either. Your OB or MW will likely give you guidelines of when they'd like you to come in. I was kind of glad I was already there (for prolonged rupture of membranes), as I went from 4cm to pushing in about an hour.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I was one who went in too early.  I had already labored for 15 hours at home, left the house when I was about 6-1-1.  I had time to walk around Best Buy (we bought movies thinking I'd be in labor another 15 hours) and get some dinner (the fact that I could eat between contractions should have told me I wasn't ready to go). 

I was only 4 cm.  They admitted me and ruptured my membranes shortly after that.  I went from 4-10cm in about 2 hours.

• Options

When the drive to the hospital sounds like agony, that's the time to get in the car.

I'll go in a little sooner next time; I arrived at 10 cm and if it wasn't for my obstinate OP baby it would have been close. As it was, I pushed for 2 hours so it was fine.

• Options

For our first, I labored at home for as long as possible.  I was scared that if I went in, it would just give them more time to "mess with me" / start interventions that I really didn't want.  I was also afraid of the time-table.

That being said - we cut it a little too close.  I wasn't totally sure that my labor was real - I honestly thought there was a good chance that they were just braxton hicks because the pain was manageable.  We called the hospital at one point & they said that my pain level was too low for it to be real labor & to stay at home.  Not too long after that (15 min or so) I felt like I was no longer safe at home & we headed to the hospital.  I was 9.5 cm dilated upon arrival :-)  Perfect timing!  Obviously, the hospital was wrong.

I liked how the Bradley method talks about the "emotional signposts" of labor.  When you get to the "oh my Gosh give me drugs I can't do this" point, is when I would say to head into the hospital.  Although I never experienced that emotional sign post - kept waiting for it - and waiting - and it never came.  However I remembered that "not feeling safe" was one of the emotional signposts of "baby is almost here" from the class which is why we ignored the hospital's directions to stay home and went on in.  Thank goodness we did or we would have had an unplanned homebirth!

Anyway, I've rambled.  I would say:

-when you no longer feel safe at home

-when you feel pressure down low like you want to have a BM

-I would NOT go in based on how close your contractions are together or how long you have been contracting.  I would just listen to your body.

-If you feel like things have been going well and then all the sudden "I can't handle this" - start getting your stuff together

• Options

This was really helpful, thanks guys! I'll keep an eye on this for more advice. Without a midwife or a doula or the availability of classes, I feel like I'm going this alone with just advice cobbled together from these boards :p

• Options
    Thank you all for your input!

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I'm overdue right now and having strong contractions on and off, and this post and all of your replies REALLY helped me... thank you all! I too am afraid of going in too early and having unnecessary intervention, but I think the best point to take from all of this is to trust my gut!
  • Options

I really didn't know what to do and called the dr b/c my contrax were 5 minutes apart and lasting about a minute for 90 minutes and then went out of whack.  I called the dr about an hr after that (5am).  luckily, he told me to stay home and come into his office first thing in the morning.  I got to his office at 9:30 and I was 4cm.  I think that would have been too early for me in terms of avoiding any interventions.  In fact, when I left my house that morning, I didn't think I could do it drug free.

My dr then told me to go have breakfast or go see a movie or something (4cm!!).  I walked in the park and returned to his office at 12:30pm.  At that point I was over 6.  Then I went to the hospital and all the nurses were asking me what # baby this was and how I made it to that point as a FTM.  It really helped boost my confidence.

So my advice is this-  If you can go to your DR to get checked before you go to the hospital, that would be best.  Obviously this won't work if it is the middle of the night or not a weekday.  Second, I just want to reiterate that the 5-1-1 rule doesn't really work for everyone.  My contrax did not follow the typical pattern of getting closer together and longer.  Even through transition, I had some contrax that were 5 mins apart.  I had some that were 2 mins apart but even then, they never came "on top of each other" as I had expected.

• Options

I labored at home for a while with this one. I went to the hospital when I started showing signs of approaching transition- I really didn't want to get dressed, I started thinking an epidural would be nice, I started throwing up, and I couldn't stay quiet during the contractions.

I live about 5 minutes from the hospital, and I was in full blown transition by the time I got my room. 6 cm when they first checked, 10 cm half an hour later, and she was born in one push, 61 minutes after I checked in.

• Options
    I guess it depends on how soon after you arrive at the hospital you want to deliver.  It sounds like a lot of ladies on this board wanted to do everything at home except push.  That was not me. I wanted to do all of the early labor at home, but wanted to be in the hospital for active labor and transition.  And that's what I did.  I was in early labor at home for about 20 hours, then went to the hospital at 4-1-1.  When I arrived at the hospital I was 3 cm dilated and 80% effaced.  The midwife estimated it would be another 8 hours before the baby was there and that I could go back home if I wanted.  I decided to stay.  As soon as I got to my room my water broke and all hell broke loose.  2 hours later I was at 9cm, and an hour after that my baby was born.  I had no problem spending 3.5 hours at the hospital to deliver a baby, and was very grateful to be there when my water broke, since active labor was so fast and furious after that.  If I'd gone home like the MW suggested I could, my water would have broken in the car and it would have been so miserable.  So I'm glad I went in when I did.  I still avoided all interventions but had the peace of mind knowing I was where I needed to be to have the baby when the contractions really got hard.

BabyFruit Ticker 

• Options
    Thanks to everyone who shared their positive birth stories ... I'm due next week, hoping to labor at home as much as possible, and reading through your experiences is so reassuring and inspiring!  Will be trusting my gut!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"