Special Needs

Anyone else have MRSA issues?

We have gone a few months without an infection.  Thurs or Fri I noticed M had one small bump on her butt (i'm talking small) so I got out the bactroban that we have massive amounts of and put some on her.  Either Fri or Sat I noticed a second bump.  It looked a little meaner but still JUST a bump/super tiny head.  Continued with the ointment, etc.  Yesterday mid-day we were at my grammas, she changed her and said it looked fine.  After bath yesterday afternoon when she was getting dressed it did not look fine.  It had started to get cellulitis looking..I discovered our pedi doesn't have an on call process, which sucks.  The voicemail says to call the local hospital triage nurse.  Well obviously if I say, MRSA, baby & immune disorder they will flip.

I took her to the only urgent care open.  They didn't culture it, or lance it, which IMO it could have used a small lance.  We got her oral meds (bactrim), I called the pedi this morning and he's out of town for the week, ARGH!  

It doesn't look any worse, so that's good but the ring is in about the same spot and it looks maybe a little more inflamed.

I'm wondering if summer/sweat plays a roll in this for our girls bc it seems like we went the last few months with nothing but prior to that they both had it a lot. M has never had it turn into cellulitis but P's ALWAYS does and it gets bad, quickly.

The reason I got worried yesterday evening was because she had a fever. her 'normal' rectal temp is 98 & it was a little over 100.

DD1(4):VSD & PFO (Closed!), Prenatal stroke, Mild CP, Delayed pyloric opening/reflux, Brachycephaly & Plagiocephaly, Sacral lipoma, Tethered spinal cord, Compound heterozygous MTHFR, Neurogenic bladder, Urinary retention & dyssynergia, incomplete emptying, enlarged Bladder with Poor Muscle Tone, EDS-Type 3. Mito-Disorder has been mentioned

DD2(2.5): Late term premie due to PTL, low fluid & IUGR, Reflux, delayed visual maturation, compound heteroygous MTHFR, PFAPA, Bilateral kidney reflux, Transient hypogammaglobulinemia, EDS-Type 3

Re: Anyone else have MRSA issues?

• I think we have a MRSA issue, but you didn't hear it from me.....Zip it!

Nate has one bump on his heal that comes and goes. He will also get some bumps in the diaper area, but I notice them most after he has been sick or is getting sick. I think his immune system just gets too overloaded to keep the MRSA in check. I have not noticed anything other than the bump though.

Every so often I will just add some bleach to his bath water. I think once they get it though, we are basically screwed. The pedi mentioned maybe doing some oral meds, but I really think that will just cause more PITA issues than 'curing' anything. I have read that lancing it can just spread it further.....I avoid those bumps like the plague. The last thing I want if the whole family getting it.

WAY 2 Cool 4 School

• imageAssembly_Reqd:

I think we have a MRSA issue, but you didn't hear it from me.....Zip it!

Nate has one bump on his heal that comes and goes. He will also get some bumps in the diaper area, but I notice them most after he has been sick or is getting sick. I think his immune system just gets too overloaded to keep the MRSA in check. I have not noticed anything other than the bump though.

Every so often I will just add some bleach to his bath water. I think once they get it though, we are basically screwed. The pedi mentioned maybe doing some oral meds, but I really think that will just cause more PITA issues than 'curing' anything. I have read that lancing it can just spread it further.....I avoid those bumps like the plague. The last thing I want if the whole family getting it.

P has had to have 2 lanced because they were really bad.  The infection tunnels down, unlike other types of infections.  

I have never had MRSA but I have had 2 boils/cysts in my lifespan they did not need lanced.  H had MRSA 1x within the last year it needed lanced and I think it was super painful judging from what he said.  Their was some 'joke' about me being the carrier (argh).  But, both H & I did the nasal treatment incase either of us were carriers.   

I've heard the bleach thing too, I need to get on doing that! 

M's first MRSA bumps were when she was <2 months old.  I flipped and took her to the ER (we were going through the immune workup) and the dr thought I was crazy, then he called 24 hours later telling me he was so sorry and it was MRSA.   

DD1(4):VSD & PFO (Closed!), Prenatal stroke, Mild CP, Delayed pyloric opening/reflux, Brachycephaly & Plagiocephaly, Sacral lipoma, Tethered spinal cord, Compound heterozygous MTHFR, Neurogenic bladder, Urinary retention & dyssynergia, incomplete emptying, enlarged Bladder with Poor Muscle Tone, EDS-Type 3. Mito-Disorder has been mentioned

DD2(2.5): Late term premie due to PTL, low fluid & IUGR, Reflux, delayed visual maturation, compound heteroygous MTHFR, PFAPA, Bilateral kidney reflux, Transient hypogammaglobulinemia, EDS-Type 3

• Loading the player...
  • DS2 had MRSA shortly after his birth, so did I. Now DS2 looks like he has it as well. I was treating with the ointment we had but he keeps popping up new spots so i'm guessing we need to go to the dr again at this point :(

Z(Monkey) 6-30-07 and E(Bear) 9-6-10 Living life with my little warrior and his big brother :)imageimageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"