February 2013 Moms
Options

Exercise

I just found out I am pregnant with baby #2! (4-5 weeks along) Im so excited! I have been training for a 5k this summer and I really want to continue running. Does anyone think this is a good idea, or should I lower my intensity? I usually jog/run 4 miles at least 2 days a week and 1 day spin class followed by a personal trainer with weight lifting and resistance training. Any advice would be helpful!:)
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Exercise

• Options
    I would definitely lower your intensity as you progress through your pregnancy.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

There's no reason to lessen your workouts - it's beneficial to both you and baby to continue exercising as you regularly do :) 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Keep on going. Just listen to your body. It will tell you when you need to slow down. Congratulations!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

talk to your doctor if you are in really good shape and have always been a runner they may say it is okay.

I have a friend that ran a half-marathon at 6 months pregnant, her doctor gave her the okay because of her history and physical condition.

I also have a friend that taught spin class until 2 hours before her water broke, again her doctor gave her the okay and monitored her throughout her pregnancy.  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

imageDC2London:
    It is absolutely fine to maintain an exercise regime that your body is accustomed to.  This is not the time to increase intensity, or add new workouts that you aren't used to, but if you have been running before there is no reason you can't run throughout your pregnancy.  Do check with your doctor, though, they typically suggest that you keep your heart rate below a certain level.   Good luck!

I was going to say exactly this

Lilypie - (eo79)
     Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I think the one worry they have about running is your body over-heating, and it the summer you  might have to worry about that.  Maybe get a heartrate monitor, just to make sure it doesn't get too high (if you are too hot I believe it will raise your heartrate as well bc it will make your body work harder to run). 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Your body is already used to the training and it isn't a sudden drastic change. I think you will be fine to continue. I currently run 2.5-3.5 miles a couple times a week. Listen to your body. If you feel you can do it without causing too much strain, go for it
    imageimage

BFP #1 EDD 08/07/11 DS born 07/27/11 Welcome Mr. Smiley!
    BFP #2 05/28/12 EDD 02/03/13 Natural M/C 07/14/12 10w6d
    BFP #3 10/02/12 EDD 06/11/13 Please stick baby! Stick!

Sunshine_zps3fcf529f Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

I heard from a doctor a year ago or so that if you were doing it before you were pregnant, then it's okay to continue it during your pregnancy. I had a friend that ran 6 miles every day from the day she found out to the day she gave birth and the baby was beautiful and healthy. If you're really concerned about it, I would lower the intensity then ask your OB.

Congrats!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"