Baby Names
Options

Miles ~ How many syllables?

How many syllables do you think are in the name Miles?  I think it's technically a one-syllable name, but sounds like two to me.  Just curious what others think.  TIA!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Miles ~ How many syllables?

• Options
    I agree, two.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I think it's one.  In elementary school we were taught to find out how many syllables a word has by putting our fists under our chins as we speak.  Every time your jaw hits your fist, it's a syllable.  When I did it, it was only one. 

Follow Me on Pinterest Image and video hosting by TinyPic Photobucket Photobucket
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I think technically it's one, but I keep saying My-ulls.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    jelinajelina member
    Just one.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    One, but I see what you're saying. It's like "fire."
  • Options
    stgn01stgn01 member
    only one.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options

Agreed. One but it comes out with a "y". That's called a glide and it is because the "L" is a liquid and in standard American English and some northern dialects, we voice  (pronounce/keep vocal cords humming)while repositioning our tongue making the semi-consonant "y" sound. You didn't want that much info, did you? LOL 

Be happy you don't live around here. FIL pronounces it "mal"...yes, even the plural. He has four "tars" on his truck, too. ;) 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers ***This space reserved for photo of new squish***
  • Options
    Technically, it's one. It's a regional thing to say it with 2. I, personally, say My-ulls, so 2. Same thing with "files".
    Cole Joseph 7/05/07

Nora Anne 11/03/12
    9lbs, 6oz
  • Options
    ZimgerZimger member
    It is one. An accent might make it sound like two but it's still one.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

It's similar to Charles and Grant.  My brother is Grant and it was always so hard to yell at him when I was mad.  Gray-yunt!!  

Miles is our boy name. 

• Options

I'm from VA and maybe it's just a southern thing but I'd say it's two.  I probably hold out the i too long instead of rushing to the l. 

I don't get the chin thing, was never taught it.  I tried and this happened:  Pursed lips for the M, opened for the I, jaw half closed and tongue up for the L, closed for the S.  I think that I'm half closing it for the L makes me say it's two syllables.  Someone said it's similar to Anna and Charles, but I say both as two. 

I spent 6 years in speech pathology as a child so I'm slightly familiar with the idea of over analyzing my tongue and mouth positioning when forming word sounds and it keeps coming out as 2 syllables for me!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

Yup, me too.

My goal for 2013...Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    imagealehayes:

I think it's one.  In elementary school we were taught to find out how many syllables a word has by putting our fists under our chins as we speak.  Every time your jaw hits your fist, it's a syllable.  When I did it, it was only one. 

THIS! 

• Options
    ablouablou member
    Both.  It depends on my mood. If I were using it in conversation, it would be one.  If I were hollering it up the stairs, it would probably be 2.
  • Options
    One.
  • Options

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers Anniversary
  • Options

How someone's accent affects the pronunciation of a name does not affect how many syllables the name actually has.

Miles has 1.

Our sweet girl is 3!

Lilypie - (R7Ux)

• Options
    imageSarahL77:

How someone's accent affects the pronunciation of a name does not affect how many syllables the name actually has.

Miles has 1.

Agreed - Miles is 1 syllable.  There's not really a debate IMHO.

Off BC since January 2012/TTC #1 since April 2012
    October 2013 IUI #1 - 5mg femara + Ovidrel = BFN
    November 2013 IUI #2 - 5mg femara + Gonal-F + Ovidrel + Crinone = 12/16/13 FIRST EVER BFP!!!  DD Blaire Noelle 8/26/14
    Surprise!  2 under 2 is happening!  Due 12/5/15 (updated)

• Options
    2. My-ulls

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    Midwest, two.
  • Options
    1. Every syllable has one vowel sound.
    2. The number of vowel sounds in a word equals the number of syllables.

Miles = 1 syllable because it has only one vowel sound (the long /i/). The /e/ is silent.

Mary Jane {12} Kaden {10} Eliza {4} Due Sept. '14

CafeMom Tickers

Considering . . . Agatha, Beatrix, Clara, Daphne, Isadora, Josephine, Matilda, Philippa, Tabitha, Winifred . . .
  • Options

imageapollonia10:
    I think technically it's one, but I keep saying My-ulls.

Me too. I pronounce it with two. 

• Options

imageBLPL101:
    2. My-ulls

::Headdesk::

Get hooked on phonics, people.

Our sweet girl is 3!

Lilypie - (R7Ux)

• Options
    ObLaDiObLaDi member
This discussion has been closed.