Baby Showers
Options

Opened gifts

Ladies, 

please tell me if I am overreacting.  We had our babyshower on the West Coast before the planned move to the East Coast where both  DH's and my family live. When we move, his family will be closer to us than mine, but not that much closer. Anyways, we thought to ask people to send gifts to the East Coast so we won't have to move extra things. My parents suggested their house to store the gifts, but DH insisted that we send them to his aunt's house as she has a large basement. He asked her and she agreed. I jokingly asked DH  to tell his family not to open the gifts, so that we get to see them first. I honestly thought I am being rude requesting it as it seems like common sense, so asked profoundly apologizing. Well, the women of his family opened every box and looked though all the gifts. I found out when his gm started telling me which things we should pick up first and which can wait. I did not know how to react and did not say anything. I feel so upset now. DH says I am being ridiculous:  they only took out inner boxes from the big mailing boxes. Well, thanks for not taking out the baby bath from the box and not reading baby books or using pacifiers... They never asked us about what we need for the baby, no one from his family did, did not give gifts, but felt ok to roam through unopened presents for us.  So is it hormones and I am overreacting? Should I just be thankful they stored our stuff and let it go?

Re: Opened gifts

• Options
    I would be peeved too.  However, there's not a lot you can do not, and it's not something to really throw the gauntlet down on.  Come here, vent, and then just let it go...it's not worth it in the end.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    eav2ceav2c member
    That would make me angry, too. However, you definitely have to pick your battles sometimes and this is not one I would choose. What they did was sucky but what's done is done and it cannot be changed but in the future you will now know better than to trust them with things like this.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imageeav2c:
    That would make me angry, too. However, you definitely have to pick your battles sometimes and this is not one I would choose. What they did was sucky but what's done is done and it cannot be changed but in the future you will now know better than to trust them with things like this.
    All of this.  I'd be pissed too.  That was 100% inappropriate of them.

However, this isn't something i'd make a stink over.  It's already done - you can't undo it.  But ABSOLUTELY this would affect future dealings w/ them and how much I can trust them.

And for the fact that your DH "insisted" on using his aunt's house and thinks you're being ridiculous - something tells me that this is also a DH problem.

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Options

What a bummer!

I have an evil brain and I thing you should open all of the holiday gifts for the family before they can get to them as revenge :) LOL (I am kidding but planning revenge in your head can be fun and theraptuic)

• Options
    I would be pissed. It was not their place to do this. It was for you and your DH to go through. While I do agree that this is probably not huge fight over, I would express as rationally as possible for being pregnant that you are upset by this. They will hopefully understand and apoloigze.
  • Options

Well, let me clarify: I don't think they intentionally wanted to offend me or ruin my day.  They, however, did not want to make extra space or  needed to rearrange things(would not it be appropriate to ask us, anyways). They were curious and wanted to see what's there in the mail for us. They feel what they did is completely normal - MIL goes through my  dresser and cabinets when she visits us (in my absence). I guess we have different personal boundaries, but I don't think I am in a position to teach these people good manners after they successfully lived without them for so long. I suspected that this would be the case with the gifts, this is why I "manned up" and asked not to open them. I wish I persuaded my DH to ship everything to parents, but he felt that he needs to involve his family in the whole "welcoming baby" thing.

As to gift giving: I did not expect anything from them nor do I feel that anyone is obligated to give a gift. We can afford to buy everything for the baby ourselves. I just think that they are in no position to unpack and discuss other people's gifts for us, especially after they prefer to stay out of the whole gift giving thing.

Thank you for the advice to vent here and forget. I decided that this is exactly what I will be doing:))) I just don't know how to avoid dealing with such behavior in future as my DH does not seem to mind.

• Options
    imagelandyshi:

They feel what they did is completely normal - MIL goes through my  dresser and cabinets when she visits us (in my absence). I guess we have different personal boundaries, but I don't think I am in a position to teach these people good manners after they successfully lived without them for so long.

And what does your husband say about this?  If nothing, like I'm going to assume, then you have an issue with him being too chickenshit to stand up to his family.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagelandyshi:

I just don't know how to avoid dealing with such behavior in future as my DH does not seem to mind.

Well, as your DH grew up in this environment, not surprising that he sees nothing wrong with it.

But- it's time he starts respecting YOU.  In YOUR HOME, he needs to make it clear to his mom that going through  your drawers and cabinets is NOT O.K.  This isn't "his" house - it's yours too an dhis mom needs to respect that, AS DOES YOUR DH. 

Doesn't matter if he doesn't understand.  It matters that he RESPECTS your wishes.  ANd maybe turn it on him - how would he feel if your mom went through HIS personal things?

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Options

This is one of those things where you just breathe and move on. We all over-react at some point. It's human and it doesn't make us crazies to have a moment like that every one in a while. And it's even better to be able to admit when you may have done so.

I don't want to sound rude but you need to understand the shower, gifts, and them storing anything was a favor. Not a right. Also I highly recommend to not ask them to spend extra cash for shipping. If you want it shipped then send someone the money to ship it. 

• Options
    I agree with the rest of the PP's. It was incredibly rude of them to open your gifts! Hopefully they had a system for remembering who got you what for thank you's! I would be very miffed. In the heat of the moment I may have lashed out but after thinking about it, you must pick your battles!

• Options
    I would also be annoyed.

BFP#1 10 wk missed mc      

BFP#2 DS born at 40+2 on 8/14/12  BFP#3 DD Born at 39+3 on 5/13/14

• Options
    imageLadiebug710:
    I would also be annoyed.

This. Is it the end of the world? Nope. But is it a little strange & inappropriate? Yep.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I would think his family are a bunch of weirdos.  Who opens other people's gifts?
    BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

imagePokedot:
    I agree with the rest of the PP's. It was incredibly rude of them to open your gifts! Hopefully they had a system for remembering who got you what for thank you's! I would be very miffed. In the heat of the moment I may have lashed out but after thinking about it, you must pick your battles!

Yep. 

• Options

That is annoying. I know I was sad when my husband opened our first wedding gift without me and then joyfully told me about what we'd received. When he saw how sad I was, he realized he'd inadvertently made a mistake and really put forth an effort to think about my feelings in cases like that.

Depending on your relationship with DH's family, you could make a joke about how opening someone else's mail is a federal offense. ;) But only if they have a good sense of humor and you are able to keep it light. If there's a chance you'll show any annoyance, don't even try to make a joke.

I know others are saying to just let it go, but I think you or DH should calmly express how disappointed you were that they opened the gifts.Otherwise, things could fester.And it sounds like you might be building some resentment. Maybe they just need to know there's a problem to change. Also, I do agree with others to be careful about what you trust them with, at least until they show they can respect your privacy in a way  that works for you. Good luck!

• Options

Your in laws sound like they are people who wouldn't blink at stealing something from you! Your husband needs to grow a pair and stick up for you. I'd be extremely poed if my in laws did this. The thank you notes would be one of the bigger deals for me if they opened all the gifts.

I'm with a pp; open all of their Christmas (or other holiday) gifts and leave everything (gifts and wrappers and bows) under the tree. Then innocently say "Oh you didn't want me to do that? But I thought I was doing you a favor!" I'm joking of course, but it makes me feel better to think of them going downstairs and seeing the living room all messy.

• Options
    I would be mad. I wouldn't pursue a fight over it though since they stored stuff for you... Knowing angry, pregnant me, though, I'd slip in a comment about how it would have been nice to open my own gifts.....
    Oct Angel Babies Lilypie Maternity tickers BFP #1- 12/7/11 M/C-12/20/11 BFP #2- 2/14/12 EDD- 10/3/12
  • Options
    I think this is incredibly rude and you need to set some boundries with your DH's family.
    Renee- 37 DH - Chad - 39
    2/06 - surprise pregnancy - twins
    3/06 - m/c 1st baby at 6 weeks 
    5/06 -2nd baby had no heartbeat at 14 wks.
    D&E - Bled out. Blood transfusions. Week in ICU - Cheated Death!
    Diagnosis: Blood clotting and bleeding disorder, immune issues, & cervical stenosis
    5/10 - 1st IVF cycle - BFN
    FET - 10/12/10 - BFN
    1/11 - IVF with PGD - BFN
    IVF - May - BFN
    6/11 New RE - fingers crossed!
    9/11 - IVF - 4 transferred
    10/13 - BFP!!
    It's a boy! Clint Michael, Due in June!!!

• Options

Personally, I would have asked them to open the gifts so that I could send thank you notes.  That is what we did with engagement/wedding gifts, anything shipped went to my dad's office and he opened them to let me know what it was and who it was from so I could write the note immediately. 

However, the fact that they did it without you asking is rude, but I would let it go.  There's not much you can do about it now.

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickersDaisypath Happy Birthday tickersPitaPata Cat tickers

• Options
    There is a difference - I specifically asked not to open the presents. I have not seen the gifts yet, but I managed to figure out most of them from the registry and sent out TYs. What sucks is that they tossed all the gift receipts and personal notes (I asked my husband). I actually cried after I found out  and I think it made my husband finally realize that I am hurt. His change of heart honestly made me feel better and I am done with this situation. Thank you everyone for letting me vent!
  • Options
    I'd be peeved too.  First of all, isn't it a criminal offense to open someone elses mail. I would never say ok to receive and store gifts at my house and then think it's okay to open them all.  I think it's incredibly poor taste and clearly the lack boundaries and common sense.  I would find it more upsetting that DH doesn't see it that way.  I would have a real "Come to Jesus" conversation with DH about boundaries of his family and that they are to respect you and your things and that they can't just rummage thru your stuff at your home either.  He should be on your side in this.
  • Options

imagelandyshi:
    they only took out inner boxes from the big mailing boxes.

Hmmm. There are two ways to look at that. On one hand, they could have thought that gifts would have been wrapped even though they were inside the mailing boxes, so they thought that it would be helpful to get everything out ready for you to unwrap. On the other hand, you could liken that to someone opening your mail so that you don't have to tear open an envelope: it's a little intrusive.

I would be irritated that they didn't get me a gift but thought it was ok to snoop through what everyone else got me, too. Not in a "they HAVE to get me a gift!" way, of course, but you're right, you just don't go opening someone else's gifts, especially when you didn't get that person a gift yourself.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"