Infertility Veterans
Options

Advice on fresh cycle or frozen transfer

My beta went down to 1 from the loss last weekend or aka chemical pregnancy....they gave me a choice of doing a fresh cycle or frozen transfer...I have 2 blastocysts in storage from my cycle.....I chose FET cause I can't see why I wouldn't give those embies a fighting chance.....the nurse said FET has a slighter less chance of success and they might not thaw out for sure......what would you guys do???? And I'm making the right choice
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers After years of struggling with infertility issues (PCOS since I was 16) and 15 medicated cycles we finally got blessed with our son. We got lucky with our 7th IUI using stims...Now we are back on the roller coaster to try for another miracle..IVF cycle in May resulted in a chemical pregnancy. 2 snowbabies FET 7/16-transferred 2 blastocyst...Faint bfp 4dp5dt! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Advice on fresh cycle or frozen transfer

• Options
    Only u know I ur making the right choice.  Fet is a cake walk compared to fresh, and u know the embies are already blasts, thata half the battle.  U never know if they will thaw, but the odds are in ur favor that they will 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I don't know why the nurse would say that...yes, there is always the chance they won't survive the thaw, but once thawed, they have just as good of chance.

As far as thaw rates go, here's my experience: First FET, first two came out, didn't survive thaw, took two more out, they survived transferred those, BFN.  Second FET, first two came out thawed beautifully - c/p.  Third FET - two came out, thawed beautifully and started hatching.  BFP. 

Good luck!! 

S/PAIFW
    Tara & Dave - TTC since September 2006
    PCOS - dx 1999 (amenorrhea) | freakishly long fallopian tubes
    Hypoglycemic | thyroid issues | severely anemic
    Multiple Clomid cycles of 50, 100, 150 - absolutely no response
    Follistim 50/100 | Follistim 75/125 | Follistim 100/150 IUI - all BFNs
    Converted IVF - BFP - m/c | FET - BFN | IVF #2 = BFN
    IVF #3
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I'd choose the FET. Here's my rationale: 

- They are already there, waiting to be used. As you said, you might as well give them a chance if they were quality enough to freeze. 

- Think back to how happy you were when you had things to freeze. It's like having something nice and never using it... life is too short.  

- You don't have to go through the injects and ER. (FET is cheaper)

-  I know this isn't really the case, but I always think things are best used promptly once frozen instead of possibly doing a fresh cycle, getting pregnant, and then having them continually stored. 

- You can always do another fresh cycle if this doesn't work out. 

I'm gearing up for my first/only FET, so I can't quite compare them, but everyone says it's more like an IUI or ET.

Good Luck!  

(Live in Europe) TTC since 1/2010
  • Options
    It is a very personal choice, and I think it depends on whether you would want to go back to try for more children if this cycle works. We had a similar choice after IVF #1. We had three snowbabies and the RE suggested another fresh cycle. Since we knew we would go back and use the frozen embryos eventually we went for another fresh cycle. Now we have 7 total frozen embryos that we are using to TTC#2. if I wasn't planning on going back to use the frozen embryos I would not have done another fresh cycle. I know it is a tough decision, but in the end only you know what is right for you and your family. Good luck hon!
    Unexplained Infertility

After two Clomid cycles, three injectable IUI cycles, two IVFs, two miscarriages, and one lap surgery, IVF #2 has brought us our little boy!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

TTC #2
    After months of being postponed or cancelled, FET #1.3 (Natural FET) brought us twin girls!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Surprise! Baby #4 is due in March!
  • Options
    I would do the FET. To have blasts and freezing quality ones at that is excellent. You always risk losing or damaging the embryos during the thawing process, but I think it is a small risk unless your clinic has very little freezing experience and/or technical issues. Whether it is worth the small risk is obviously an extremely personal decision. My thinking is that a FET will obviously be much cheaper than a fresh cycle, you have the embryos anyway, and FETs are generally much easier physically than a fresh cycle. GL with whatever you choose.
    IUIs #1-3 (1x unmedicated, 2x Clomid) = 2 BFNs, 1 m/c at 7w3d
    IUIs #4-6 (injects) = 3 BFNs
    IVF #1 = BFN
    FET #1 = BFN
    FET #2 = BFN
    IVF #2 = BFP, b/g twins lost at 20w due to partial abruption/PPROM
    IVF #3 = c/p 5w2d
    Long-shot Clomid/Prednisone cycle before next IVF = BFP, our beautiful, healthy girl born 6/26/13!
    ~~
    TTC again March 2014
    FET #3 - May/June 2014
    -
    all embryos arrested before xfer - back to the drawing board...
    IVF #4 - July/August 2014 
    beta 1 (11dp3dt) 220, beta 2 (13dp3dt) 671, beta 3 (19dp3dt) 10762
  • Options

I've never heard of a clinic who has equal success rates for fresh and frozen (although there may be).  There's always the chance that an embryo won't survive the thaw, it's a gamble you either choose to take or not.  I

This is my second attempt at a FET.  It's less money, and there isn't the ER portion, but honestly I'm having a lot more side effects during my FET than I did during my fresh cycle.  With my protocol, I'm also on Lupron, delestrogen injections and progesterone injections - the overall number of injects is fewer, but not much.  The thing is, you're not going to know how your body will react until your cycling.

My thought process is that I didn't pay to freeze them and then not use them. 

Good luck!

Me: 35 DH: 37 TTC since 4/2010
    DX: 6/9/2011: Azoo ICSI/IVF only option for biological child
    IVF #1: ER - 9/26 * ET - 10/1 * beta#1 10/13 - 140 * beta#2 10/17 - 477 * beta#3 10/20 - 1101
    1st u/s at 6w6d - one hb * 2nd u/s at 8w3d - no hb detected 11/10/11 * natural m/c 11/13/11
    FET #1 Jan/Feb 2012 - 3 delays - cancelled 2/13
    FET #1.2 - May/June 2012 - ET 6/6/* beta#1 6/15 - 95 * beta #2 6/19 - 322 * beta #3 6/22 - 940
    7/6 1st u/s @ 7 weeks - one beautiful hb - released from RE
    EDD 2/22/2013
    PAIF/SAIF/PGAL welcome
    imageimageimageimage
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

Thanks ladies. We have decided to try FET. They have only been frozen since May 17th, I didn't know I had 2 frozen until I misscarried and my doctor looked it up. I got the letter in the mail on Friday. I have an appointment at 5 today with my RE to sign paper work for the FET. I  am lucky that my insurance covered treatment. But I thank you for your help during the decision process 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers After years of struggling with infertility issues (PCOS since I was 16) and 15 medicated cycles we finally got blessed with our son. We got lucky with our 7th IUI using stims...Now we are back on the roller coaster to try for another miracle..IVF cycle in May resulted in a chemical pregnancy. 2 snowbabies FET 7/16-transferred 2 blastocyst...Faint bfp 4dp5dt! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"