June 2012 Moms
Options

Anyone else not telling?

We're planning on only telling my MIL when we are ready to go the hospital, and she's only going to know because she's going to keep DD1.  My family (they all live four hours away) is planning on being there as close to delivery as possible. H and I want as much time as possible with just the three of us once DD2 arrives. I know we'll get a little grief from both sides that we kept it secret. Anyone else planning on waiting until after your LO arrives to announce to family?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Anyone else not telling?

• Options
    Yeah, we're not telling either.  I've just recently made this decision.  And today I found out a c-section is a high likelihood, so even if it's a planned one, and we know in advance, I am going to tell my DH I don't want to tell.  I'm not in the mood to have family that I don't like all the much descend upon me in the hospital until I'm good and ready for them. ;)
  • Options

None of our families are coming to the birth or immediately after (they both live fairly far away), so we will let them know when I go into the BC and when LO is born.

We only have a small handful of friends that we're telling when I go into the BC - pretty much just the ones who asked us to text them. We know that they'll be respectful of our privacy, so that's good. If they were pushy in any way, though, we wouldn't be telling them.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Me!  I definitely want a chance to ensure everyone is healthy and ready before the respective fams pounce.  
  • Options
    We aren't telling anyone. Although I may tell my pregnant friend when my water breaks if that happens. Depends on the situation and time of day when labour is happening.
    Audrey is going to be a big sister!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

Heck yes, we dont plan to tell! We'll contact my mom when I'm in labor as she's first on the list to watch the LOs, so hopefully she's available. If she is, then she and my dad will know. Then the birth center will only keep us 4-6 hours, so we will likely not call anyone about the birth until we're back home :) That's the plan but it may depend on when LO is born. If he's born early in the morning and we'll have our whole day at home for visitors, we'll do that. If he's born later in the day and they'll discharge us at night, then maybe we'll let immediate family come to the birth center, and everyone else come the next day. 

With DD, who was born at 4 am, we didn't have our first visitors until 11 am, and that was nice to have that time (and also had to do with the hospitals visiting hours). No one was mad at us for it.  

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

My MIL will know b/c she'll be taking care of DS1.

But, other than her (and maybe my parents), no one will know until after babe is born.

With DS1, just the MIL and my parents knew when we went to the hospital. They graciously kept it to themselves until we were ready to share the news.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    We waited until DD was born to tell anyone. The ILs will know when I'm in labor this time b/c they are taking care of DD. I may call my mom since she is an 8 hour car drive away.
  • Options

We aren't telling anyone other than my BFF of over 15 years because she's coming to help out. Everyone else gets told after delivery and after we've rested and bonded a little. If family doesn't like it, they will learn to deal. 

• Options
    I'm not telling, but for a very different reason than the most of you. My mom is a bit upset she won't be there, seeing as there is a large ocean and 3000 miiles between us. She's requested not to know until after baby is here. I can't really tell any of my other fam without her finding out and the dh doesn't have any family. I don't want it announced to friends until family knows, so there ya go, our mouths will remain zipped.
  • Options
    this is a great idea. To be honest if I didn't think I'd be disowned forever by my mom and MIL, I wouldn't tell a soul lol. I am really anxious about a ton of people being there when I look and feel like hell lol. Maybe I will just tell those two, and tell the rest after she's born!
  • Options
    This has been bugging me lately. I know my fam is super excited but word travels soo quickly in both my family and dh's family. I'm not a Facebook person bc dh and I are really private people. Our families, on the the other hand, are a different story! If it was up to me, no one would even know I'm pregnant, lol. I'm nervous there will be 85 people in the hospital. So to answer your question- we are telling immediate family only but asking (more like begging) them to keep it quiet for a bit.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

imagejamiah18:
    This has been bugging me lately. I know my fam is super excited but word travels soo quickly in both my family and dh's family. I'm not a Facebook person bc dh and I are really private people. Our families, on the the other hand, are a different story! If it was up to me, no one would even know I'm pregnant, lol. I'm nervous there will be 85 people in the hospital. So to answer your question- we are telling immediate family only but asking (more like begging) them to keep it quiet for a bit.

I feel the same way.  MY mom will knwo b/c she is coming with me, but that means my dad and siblings will know.  I asked that they wait and not come to the hospital until I am ready for visitors.  His family may not know until I am at least well into labor.  But FB is the problem, I dont want people finding out via FB, so I asked that no one post anything until DH or I do, then its fair game.  Hopefully that will help us call who needs to be called first. We'll see!

DD - Lucia Alessandra 6/18/12  ~~~  Welcoming Baby Boy!! - 3/26/14

• Options
    We are not telling anyone until after lo is born.  It has been a non issue for most of the family, simply because they don't know we aren't telling them when I go into labor.  However my mom has been having a fit about it.  We have always had a good relationship, to this point, so it really sucks.  However I am not going to change my mind just because "it is so important to her to know" when I am in labor.
    imageimage

TTC #1 since 5/10
    BFP #1 7/22/11 - EDD 4/2/11 - M/C 8/15/11 (7w0d)
    BFP #2 9/23/11 - EDD 6/5/12 ♥It's a Girl♥
    BFP #3 2/20/13 - EDD 11/2/13 ♥It's a Girl♥
  • Options

My friend did this with her first because it was snowing and the last thing they wanted was their parents trying to travel in it and having something bad happen.  They told them the next day after the baby had arrived, and while they understood the reason they were not happy.  As for my friends they said it was awesome because they got alone time before the family came and highly recommend it under any circumstance.  My MIL would have a fit if I did this she wanted to be there the whole time we called her when I was 6 centimeters and told her she could head over but could not be in the room.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

We are not telling until we're home! Assuming everything goes smoothly and normally of course. If I have a c-section or there are complications, an issue with the baby, etc, we will call people when we're good and ready, but while we're still in the hospital.

We told all family this. The in-laws totally understood and thought it was a brilliant idea. My mom didn't react, so I actually don't believe that she understood that she was included in the "anyone." I will bring it up again closer to my due date.

We're just thinking that, a) It's a very intimate and private moment for DH and I; b) Although we have been waiting and preparing for this baby, we will still have to adjust to him; c) I don't want the stress of visiting and talking and sharing with family over and over; d) There is so much we are expected to learn in the 24 hours after birth; and e) We want to just focus on the baby, not making phone calls, not paying attention to visiting hours, how many visitors are there at once, etc etc. It's nothing personal against any family, it's just a decision we made that we're happy with.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    No, unless I go into labor and I am home alone (DH is working 8h away for the next couple of weeks).
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options

I am going to request that everyone stay at home until the baby arrives.  But, I wouldn't dare do that without warning them first.  I'd rather be upfront about not wanting an audience this time and state my reasonse.  Our parents are all extremely logical.  So, I think they'd be more hurt that I didn't approach the topic like an adult, ahead of time.

• Options

We'll tell immediate family (who aren't planning on coming until we get home from the hospital anyway) but we are otherwise going to labor alone. The only other people who might know are our best friends, who we'll call if labor goes really long and either DH needs a break or our dogs need to be let out.

I plan on disabling my Facebook wall as soon as we go into labor. I'm scheduled to work all next week, and if I don't come in, it will be obvious why. I don't trust my coworkers not to post something, and I just don't like the thought of a bunch of people waiting on me to have the baby (performance anxiety, I suppose?)

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    We're not telling my MIL either. She only lives 30 minutes away and would be there with bells on as soon as we call her and I don't wnat that.  We'll call her when were ready for visitors.  My family lives 1,000 miles away so they won't be coming to the hopsital. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"